Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot PGN-10 Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 09:25 AM
kphaam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peugeot PGN-10 Value?

I have this Peugeot PGN-10 that has:
- New Brooks B17 saddle
- New Continental Grand Prix 4000S II and tubes
- NOS Mavic MA2 wheelset
The frame is in decent condition.
What is the value of it?
Thank you all

Likes For kphaam:
Old 04-19-21, 02:55 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
This is either an '85 or '86, I can't recall which one of the two had a Nervar crank. '84 had a set screw for the seat post (a one-year addition), then '85 and '86 had different cranks. The serial number stamped into the bottom bracket would say for sure, if the 2nd character is a 5, it's 1985, 6 for 1986 etc. First character should be a letter like Y or B.

Anyway, I have an '84. It's one of the bikes I've probably held onto longer than any other bike because it rides exceptionally well. I used it for the longest time for joyriding and errands, sub-20 mile rides mostly. It's a killer bike. Yours is in slightly better shape than mine, although I've done the same Stronglight needle-bearing upgrade, since my '84 came with a steel headset.

However, as much as I love mine, I've rebuilt it three times now, it's mostly original, I just don't think I could get more than $350 out of it, fully serviced and ready to ride. At least not in my ATL market. Yours, as equipped, looking as flawless as it does, I might be able to eek out a number in the $400s, but I'd need to sit on it for a few weeks. Seems like the sweet spot in my market right for a 3-5 day sale is listing in the $275-325 range, and must be ready-to-ride. Your market may be different.

To be fair, this was a mid-level bike for Peugeot. Some would argue it's on the lower end of that mid-level. I put it at the higher end of the middle level, on-par with the mid-upper level bikes Trek and Schwinn were putting out at the time.

I would consider listing it at $450. But unless you hate that Brooks saddle, I'd replace it with a nice looking sportier style $30 saddle so you're not chucking $80-120 out the door on your sale.

Old 04-20-21, 07:40 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by kphaam
I have this Peugeot PGN-10 that has:
- New Brooks B17 saddle
- New Continental Grand Prix 4000S II and tubes
- NOS Mavic MA2 wheelset
The frame is in decent condition.
What is the value of it?
Thank you all
OP where are you located? I might be interested.
Old 04-20-21, 01:02 PM
kphaam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jadocs
OP where are you located? I might be interested.
Coachella Valley, CA
Old 04-20-21, 01:19 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd sell the saddle separately from the bike. And I'd think long and hard about selling the wheels separately as well. The bike will be hard to sell without wheels so you'll have to track down second hand wheels. But a set of wheels with hi flange maillard 700s hubs have a value to anyone building up an old French bike.
Old 04-23-21, 07:08 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
Even though it's just as good (or maybe even better in some aspects like stiffness) as the PSV, the PGN was always the lower model of the two, and was priced accordingly. You can most likely expect it to also bring in less money than a PSV these days, as it does not have that full, classic French "flavor" that the PSV's Sulervitus frame, give it, and many Franco/Peugeot fans would gladly pay a bit more for.
I would think that these days, the PGN can maybe bring in around $300, during these days of a depressed C&V bike market, maybe 25-50 bucks more for a close to mint example, considering, good examples of PSV's these days, struggle to even break $400
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-28-21, 04:17 AM
rustymetal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The value is very much market dependent. Around here, road bikes don't sell even for cheap. I bought several decent bikes for pennies here that needed nothing. Most that I've sold have gone on fleabay in pieces to get a fair price out of the bikes.
I had an older peugeot here last year that I believe was a bit older, with Jubilee derailleurs and a 23" frame. The bike was in near new condition and it didn't get a single email even down to $200 on CL and FB. I gave up and parted it out, it brought over $650 in pieces over a five month stretch back in May.
I got a ton of emails from other areas but no one wanted to pay the shipping or they wanted it for pocket change. The funny part was that the guy who bought the frame, won the wheels, saddle, bars, stem, and crankset, but not the derailleurs or any other parts, and he had looked at the bike and walked away from it at less than half of what he paid online plus shipping for the same bike in pieces over several weeks. The derailleurs went overseas.
I hated to part it out but its easier than shipping a whole bike and a lot less hassle.