Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Driver mad at "comptetive cyclists"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Driver mad at "comptetive cyclists"

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 08:47 PM
Sooner Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Several group rides I have been on this year have included riders who refuse to fall into a single file despite loud and repeated calls of "car back". I am quite frankly embarrassed to ride with other cyclists who ride with complete disregard for showing consideration to motorists.
It sometimes takes just one instance of poor cycling etiquette to set off these guys and endanger an entire group. I saw it Saturday morning with a person in our pack who wouldn't fall into a single line as we rode through a hilly, rural burg with lots of traffic. Bubba blew past us, intentionally close to the group with his big ol' mirror hanging from the side of his truck. Could've nailed any/all of us. Oh, and she always overlapped wheels in the paceline. Could've killed her.
Old 11-01-05, 08:55 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I think it's interesting that everyone is jumping to conclusions here. I don't think there's enough evidence to understand clearly where she's coming from.
I agree. She's talking about large groups of "competetive" (I use the term loosely) cyclists. Not the typical commuter or person out riding by themselves for whatever reason.

We all know there's a problem with these folks sometimes. We've all seen it, some of us might even be it.

I believe that you and I Zorro (if that is your real name!) are the only ones to actually read the rant.

Az
Old 11-01-05, 09:09 PM
MaxBender
Take Your Lane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zooropa530
Tell Anne to stop screwing her brother.

It's rather amusing that I'm reading this now - a few weeks ago we were chased down by an old lady who was convinced bicycles don't belong on the road. She got out of her car and was yelling and everything! Dumb b!tch. And no, we didn't cut her off/run a light/or any other moving violation.
If they yell, just pull out your camcorder for the filming.

If you did not bring a camcorder, your cell phone or other small object will do. Just hold it out at arms length, and switch between looking at it, and looking at the ignorant screamer. When they ask what you are doing, just say you are filming for the jury, and could move a little to your left, please?
Old 11-02-05, 04:09 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Every state has different laws. In OH a bike can be no more than 36" left of the curb line. That is his/hers lane. They also cannot ride double file in a single lane. Cyclists also have to obey all traffic laws, like comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. There are reasons why cars get pissed at cyclists. Usually we bring it on ourselves by thinking we are entitled to more than we actually are. I know I'm gonna get flamed for that but it's true.

Tim
As Nova pointed out, there is no 36" rule in Ohio. You are also generally allowed to ride two abreast (although I think that's a bad idea in traffic).

But if you're concerned about cyclists right to use the road, write to your state legislator and ask him to support House Bill 369, which would make it more clear that we can frequently use the full lane. The bill has both Republican and Democratic co-sponsors, so it has a chance.

I discuss the law in this thread.

Here's the description from the Ohio Bike Federation:

Originally Posted by Ohio Bike Federation
Our proposed bill for improving Ohio bicycling laws was introduced into the Ohio House by Rep. Arlene Setzer (R-Vandalia) on Monday, October 24, 2005. The bill, known as House Bill 389, will next be referred to the House Transportation, Public Safety, and Homeland Security Committee, chaired by Rep. Steve Reinhard (R-Bucyrus).

The major benefit of our bill for Ohio cyclists is uniformity of rules governing cycling in Ohio. Our bill would end many ill-advised local ordinances now on the books of many Ohio communities, including some which require cyclists to dismount and walk across intersections, or ride exclusively on sidewalks!

Our bill would also substitute "far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles" for "as close as practicable to the right-hand curb" in the "slow-moving vehicle" section of the Ohio Revised Code.

Additional changes to the Ohio Revised Code would include:

Front and rear wheel reflectors no longer required if a red light is used in the rear.
Headlight must emit light visible 300' to sides. (Most headlights already meet this requirement).
Generator-powered lights authorized.
Red reflector on back no longer required to be "of a type approved by the Director of Public Safety" and combined reflector and light are acceptable.
Rear light may be either flashing or steady.
Additional lights or reflectors authorized.
A bell or horn no longer required.
You can read the actual bill at the state legislature Website. Note that our bill has been approved by ODOT and the Ohio Highway Patrol.
If you live in Ohio, please write your legislator to show your support for this bill.
Old 11-02-05, 07:44 AM
alison_in_oh
Focus on the future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Allison - there is no 36' limit in the current law
<-- Lookit me, I'm literate!

No, I was looking at the current Ohio Revised Code -- under the section on MOTORIZED BICYCLES.

*is a big dork and quite embarrassed*
Old 11-02-05, 08:02 AM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[value judgment mode]

Just another psychotically overweight smoker and future stroke victim getting in a shot at her nemises...the folks who refuse to live the way that she does.

[/value judgment mode]
Old 11-02-05, 08:26 AM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Every state has different laws.
Tim
You mean there are places outside NYC? No way! hehehe
Old 11-02-05, 12:00 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alison_in_oh
<-- Lookit me, I'm literate!

No, I was looking at the current Ohio Revised Code -- under the section on MOTORIZED BICYCLES.

*is a big dork and quite embarrassed*
So if I go VRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMMM while riding, am I considered a motorized bicycle or just a motor mouth?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-02-05, 01:26 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kosherdave
You mean there are places outside NYC? No way! hehehe
i think it's that fly over land they're always talking about. you know, all that space in between new york and LA.
Old 11-02-05, 01:57 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do we have to get all political? Jeeze.

Anyway, it’s apparent that this lady is from my neck o’ the woods. The term “britches” or “breeches” makes the case.

i.e. “You young’uns put yer breeches on an git to milkin’ the cows.”
Or “Quick, git yer breeches on my husband is pullin’ up the drive!”

With that said, I hope she doesn’t reside in my zip code or my Lycra “breeches” will need more padding. She'd probably run me down out of malice and stupidity.
Old 11-02-05, 02:22 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
I believe that you and I Zorro (if that is your real name!) are the only ones to actually read the rant.

Az
Goodness no Az. There's not any Z's in my real name. I just came up with the name on a chat forum while watching the 1998 World Cup and have stuck with it.
Old 11-02-05, 02:29 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
So if I go VRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMMM while riding, am I considered a motorized bicycle or just a motor mouth?
hehe
Old 11-02-05, 04:24 PM
hairyleg
still fuzzy

Bikes: Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with most of you, a driver should never get mad, they are annoying sometimes, deadly other times, unreasonable too, all that. Just make sure we as bikers aren't doing the same thing we wish they would stop. All the more power to us if we can take trash without returning it.
Old 11-02-05, 04:57 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would the irate motorist prefer if the competitive cyclists were in a garbage truck, stopping every block?

It's pure irritation from ignorance, something that can't be cured unless everyone is forced to use a bike along certain long bike only routes - i.e. the Post Office is located 10 miles down this bike route and only seniors/disabled are allowed access thru the car park.

Or you have to renew your driving license in person and have to ride a bike 30 mins to do so

Once everyone personally experiences biking next to traffic, they'll understand it appreciate the safety aspect more.
Old 11-02-05, 05:05 PM
Piuma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other day I was riding on a road I commonly ride, as close to the edge of the road as reasonably possible, and two trucks in a row buzzed me with their mirrors within inches of my left ear. (It probably wasn't really that close, but it sure seemed like it). Anyway, today and all days future when I ride that road I'm riding smack down the middle of the lane. It's a two lane road, they can have the other one. It's just too dangerous for two vehicles to be in that lane even one is narrow like me and my bike. I'm sure I'll hear angry words and horn honks but I doubt I'll care much.
Old 11-02-05, 05:15 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rufvelo
Once everyone personally experiences biking next to traffic, they'll understand it appreciate the safety aspect more.
yeah, i agree. it's pretty much impossible to realize how it feels to get buzzed unless you actaully been buzzed before. or forced off the road, or honked at, or whatever the issue is.
Old 11-02-05, 08:08 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
yeah, i agree. it's pretty much impossible to realize how it feels to get buzzed unless you actaully been buzzed before. or forced off the road, or honked at, or whatever the issue is.
Well you can buzz a driver in another car and blast your horn at them. Corse one driver does this to another they would be taken to jail and charged with reckless driving endangerment and who knows what else. Yet when it happens to us the drivers dont even get a warnign most of the time.
Old 11-02-05, 09:04 PM
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of cyclist's reponses were published on today's Strakalogue , they pretty much echoed what was said here.
Old 11-03-05, 10:10 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, how will junior of the next generation learn any better? When his only experience of going to school, instead of walking, riding a bike, or bus(school bus drivers have always shown how to pass a cyclist), has been riding instead in a Hummer, Expedition, Cayenne and actually watching mom chase down some cyclist?
Old 11-03-05, 10:34 AM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alison_in_oh
There was a time when I'd laugh at the prominent display of ignorance. But then I was hit by a motorist who didn't think I should be passing a stopped vehicle on the left. So now the ignorance and subsequent endangerment of everybody sharing the road with them just kind of overwhelms me.
That's exactly how I got hit, sorry to hear about it...Wonder if it was "Anne" on both occasions?

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 11-03-05, 10:43 AM
LSPR_MTU
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Bikes: Trek 1000, Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
I agree. She's talking about large groups of "competetive" (I use the term loosely) cyclists. Not the typical commuter or person out riding by themselves for whatever reason.

We all know there's a problem with these folks sometimes. We've all seen it, some of us might even be it.

Az
I disagree. She "thinks" she's talking about competetive cyclists, because they're wearing bike shorts, jerseys, helmets, and all that. Lot's of cyclists wear these things, but would definitely not be considered competitive.

Also, it doesn't "really" matter where she's coming from. Her name could actually be Fred, and maybe Fred is a very responsible driver and occaisionally has to deal with very irresponsible cyclists. The point is, the perception of most of the people on BF is that she is unaware of our rights as cyclists, and is acting unreasonably intolerant of our perfectly fine behavior on her road. This perception exists, because we know that many people think this way. So you can defend her if you want, but even if she's an exception, it's just that...an exception.

Cyclists should always ride as far to the right as is safe, and give motorists the opportunity to pass, within reason. Cyclists who take the whole lane are technically legal, but are being rude (unless they are approaching an intersection or something).
Old 11-03-05, 11:16 AM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koine2002
A couple of cyclist's reponses were published on today's Strakalogue , they pretty much echoed what was said here.

Wow props to fox for posting replies for once in their existance. Generaly unless your a total ass who enrages some one else you dont get squat posted because well that gets them more views than posting a well thought out post.
Old 11-03-05, 12:35 PM
poopypants

Bikes: trek 8000, specialized allez pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
Why would anyone listen to the opinions of fox news or its viewers, unless they needed a barometer of views held by hummer-loving red state warmongers?

Couldn't have said it better.