Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Please Tell YOUR Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 04:11 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please Tell YOUR Story

Hello all!

I joined this website July of 2011 and have used it for anything things and have learned so much. I decided to start a small blog and although I suck at writing, the blog is fun which is what counts, right!!???!!!

Anyway, I would like to ask if anyone would like to add to the inspirational page. I created this section for folks who are looking for inspiration for their journey be it weight loss, get healthy etc. It's something for me to give back what was given to me.... inspiration and fire to get better and better.

Photo Joe was the first and I just posted his story. Here it is:

https://chefonabicycle.com/2012/10/04...ot-in-the-way/

The blog is here: https://chefonabicycle.com/

The idea for the Inspirational page is to tell your story. Whatever it is.

I would love to have anyone and everyone help out with this. Its something we can use in the future to help others.

Please consider and let me know. Feel free to drop me a line on BF or email me at clydesdalecyclist@gmail.com

Thank you for the consideration.
Old 10-04-12, 08:53 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice blog -- scary story. Glad you're on the mend and found a dream bike. Life is too short.

My only regret on my dream bike (Ira Ryan custom lugged stainless / Life / Zona) is that I didn't get it sooner.

My story is nowhere near yours, but if you'd like me to tell it I'd be game. No cancer but some issues. Lost about 45 pounds riding.
Old 10-04-12, 09:42 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I tell my story a lot, but not because I see myself as some sort of hero or to get sympathy or 'ata boys. I tell it to remind people to take care of themselves and seek help if the need it and to encourage people. Just because we hit hard times doesn't mean we can't beat it. Heck, I think my journey has been easier than that of an uber-clyde losing weight. I'm encouraged beyond description by some of the success stories here!
Old 10-04-12, 10:16 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
PJ - your story is inspirational and I am honored to ride with you.

My mom had breast cancer (probably the worst kind prognosis wise called Inflammatory Breast Cancer). She lost her battle but she fought with every ounce she had. She belonged to the local cancer support group. What you said about the tight knit bond those in "the club" form is true. My mom was told she needed radiation treatments in Seattle at the U of W but we lived on the other side of the state. Mom was a single mom with my younger sister just starting high school. She couldn't afford to "not work"...so the support group folks got the local paper to do a story on my mom, and they raised enough $ to allow my mom to take leave w/o pay and go to Seattle for 4 months for treatment. I was living with her to help out so I watched out for my sister while mom was gone. Unfortunately, the cancer was too aggressive and she passed away a couple months after getting back from treatment. She will have been gone 25 years in January.

Our ride to the Village on Oct 14 coincides with several breast cancer awareness rides....so my ride that day will be dedicated to her.
Old 10-04-12, 12:04 PM
nevermore1701

Bikes: giant

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
excellent story just reminds me that as we get older we need to take of ourselves better. i had a stroke 9 months ago and that put me on a bike to get healthy and as bad as it sounds was probably the best thing that happened to me because it woke me up and opened my eyes. after changing my diet and riding i have lost 28 pounds and i love riding my bike im 45 and im just not ready to check out yet. i have learned so much on the forum i check it out several times a day always something new to see or learn
Old 10-04-12, 12:07 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrien
Nice blog -- scary story. Glad you're on the mend and found a dream bike. Life is too short.

My only regret on my dream bike (Ira Ryan custom lugged stainless / Life / Zona) is that I didn't get it sooner.

My story is nowhere near yours, but if you'd like me to tell it I'd be game. No cancer but some issues. Lost about 45 pounds riding.
Please. I would love to add your story.
Old 10-04-12, 12:07 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nevermore1701
excellent story just reminds me that as we get older we need to take of ourselves better. i had a stroke 9 months ago and that put me on a bike to get healthy and as bad as it sounds was probably the best thing that happened to me because it woke me up and opened my eyes. after changing my diet and riding i have lost 28 pounds and i love riding my bike im 45 and im just not ready to check out yet. i have learned so much on the forum i check it out several times a day always something new to see or learn
Can you do a write up of the story and send it to me to post on the website blog?
Old 10-04-12, 12:08 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a tough crowd for sure. I thought more people would like to contribute.

This is all about giving back to others. Giving them the inspiration to take the first step in their journey and to give others fuel to keep moving for their journey.

Come on folks!
Old 10-04-12, 12:25 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I would be glad to contribute something. Will put it together tonight and send over.
Old 10-04-12, 12:44 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I would be glad to contribute something. Will put it together tonight and send over.
Thank you so much!
Old 10-04-12, 01:02 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac

This is all about giving back to others. Giving them the inspiration to take the first step in their journey and to give others fuel to keep moving for their journey.

Come on folks!
Working on it. Kind of long winded, but these things can be therapeutic for the writer. Unlike those with the big C, People in my situation -rightly, or wrongly - often blame themselves. I could have prevented my health issues. Yeah, easier said than done, as any clyde/clydeette can attest.
Old 10-04-12, 01:11 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Kind of long winded, but these things can be therapeutic for the writer.
I agree completely.
Old 10-04-12, 01:28 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Working on it. Kind of long winded, but these things can be therapeutic for the writer. Unlike those with the big C, People in my situation -rightly, or wrongly - often blame themselves. I could have prevented my health issues. Yeah, easier said than done, as any clyde/clydeette can attest.
I thank you in advance for doing this. I appreciate it!
Old 10-04-12, 02:22 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wish I had a story that related to cycling, but I am working on it!
Old 10-04-12, 02:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My most inspirational story has very little to do with cycling. The main thing, I guess, is that my story explains why I'm spending less time on the bike lately.
Old 10-04-12, 02:57 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
I wish I had a story that related to cycling, but I am working on it!
Your story doesn't have to relate to cycling at all and it does not need to be at the end of the journey either. The point of that section in the website is to put inspirational stories.

Please consider adding yours.
Old 10-04-12, 02:58 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My most inspirational story has very little to do with cycling. The main thing, I guess, is that my story explains why I'm spending less time on the bike lately.
I was hoping that you would consider writing one Seattle. Does not have to do with anything cycling at all. It's all about inspiration!
Old 10-04-12, 03:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Ok, I'll share then, but you've been warned.

I've always loved mountains. I was a week old the first time I went over the continental divide, eg the Rocky Mountain crest, in Colorado; my passion for high places was obviously handed down to me from my mother.

Being outdoors has always made me happy, too. I think that's what started my love for riding bikes. Eventually, as an adult, I learned I could combine these passions. I used to have a CX bike, and would take it on trails in the Cascade Range, and on old dirt logging roads. (I posted a thread about that a couple years ago - the title was simply "Happiness.") Lately I've been taking my road bike out to lonesome but paved roads through the mountains and using it to get my fix, and to explore new ground. This has made me very happy, added meaning and interest to my life.

But I've always wanted to climb mountains, because there's only so far you can go backpacking, and it often means missing the best scenery, where the gods live. And I've always thought this was something for other people, but not for me, for a lot of reasons, but mainly because getting up before dawn is painful. Well, I took a rock climbing lesson very recently. Turns out being an avid cyclist is good for balance and strength. I climbed 12 pitches on my first day on the rock, to 5.9 - which is pretty difficult. I got frightened twice, and made it to the top anyway. The mountain gods smiled on me. I learned that I can do it.

I've joined a rock gym, and even ventured out onto a few glaciers. There are a few more lessons in my near-term future, and a guided trip to the summit of Mt Shuksan via the Sulphide Glacier. All this is taking time away from the bike, but leaving me with a profound sense of fulfillment.

We only have so many days above ground, and it's important to spend them well - whatever that means to you. Also, nothing compares to surprising and impressing yourself.

^ I climbed both of those, under my own power.
Old 10-04-12, 03:45 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

Come on folks!
I'll contribute . . . gimme a little time though
Old 10-04-12, 03:56 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
I'll contribute . . . gimme a little time though
No problem bro. Thank you.

Please email me when you finish and I can post it on the website blog. Also, pictures would be awesome.

Thank you kindly.
Old 10-04-12, 04:12 PM
timetostart
time to start - again!

Bikes: 2008 Marin Juniper Trail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Come on folks!
Thank you for asking me too, but not so sure I've got much of "a story" to tell!
Such as it is, it's in my blog - happy to have anyone visit it - although I haven't cycled or written anything for ages.

You're right though - I find other people's stories are very motivational. I'll try to come up with a "summary"!
Old 10-04-12, 04:14 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have a direct link to your story in the blog? If so I might be able to copy and paste.
Old 10-04-12, 04:19 PM
timetostart
time to start - again!

Bikes: 2008 Marin Juniper Trail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a direct link to your story in the blog? If so I might be able to copy and paste.
THe link to my blog is in my signature below the "ticker"
Old 10-04-12, 04:23 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Great story and very well written. I'll be on sometime in the future.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-04-12, 05:19 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Great story and very well written. I'll be on sometime in the future.
Why not now? The inspirational stories are not just to be at the end of ones journey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.