Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would you do a century ride in the rain? On a fairly new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Would you do a century ride in the rain? On a fairly new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 10:28 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
You can ride anytime, screw riding in the rain unless you get caught by surprise in it.

But to set out to ride in the rain, meh, I got better things to do.
Old 04-23-13, 10:30 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Forecast for Saturday is 74 with 60% chance of rain. Will be in the 60's when we start.

I've been wanting to replace the stock brake pads anyway with some Kool Stops. I recently put KS Salmon's on my MTB and love 'em.
For that, I'd just wear two jerseys and shorts even if it rains the entire time. You might carry a windbreaker as well, but I don't think you'd need it.

Most people way overdress. In rain at those temps, you'll feel better with bare skin than being covered up.

How much would you wear to run in the rain? If you were running in the rain with temps in the 60's and maybe even the 70's, would you even consider rain gear?

If you weren't going to be out for a long time, shorts and a jersey would be sufficient. But since you'll be out for several hours, the second jersey gives you some insulation options if you feel a bit chilled. If you wear more than that, you'll just swamp everything out.

And don't worry about the bike. People who live in the PNW ride in the rain constantly most of the year.
Old 04-23-13, 10:46 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
There's a 40% chance that it won't rain!

I did a 200K in the rain once. My feet were wet and cold after 5 miles. Never again.
Patrick, if you don;t have over-shoes, what I use for long, wet days is:

plastic bag to cover the foot/shoe, then I cover the entire foot/shoe/plasticbag with an old snug sock and hold that up with a rubber band and fold the sock back over the rubberband about an inch or 2.
The feet stay nice and toasty, get a little sweaty after a while (but you don't notice that...) and, importantly, the shoes stay really dry.

I've gone thru complete standing water - as in a kneedeep pond on our local golf course - while riding my mtb in the rain/wet/mud...

the disposable plastic shopping bags you get at the supermarket work great as a substitute for 'newspaper' under the jersey, on the chest - no transfer of newsprint and will hold up for however long you need the windprotection... and they stow down real small, or can hold your jersey snacks...

I use full-finger gloves when it under 65 deg and raining - hands lose heat fast.

smallbrim cycling cap, cheap and white, under the helmet, with brim facing forward and covering the top of the glasses - keeps the rain away from the inside of the glasses. On the outside you can wipe. On the inside... annoying and requiring a stop to clear...
like this...

also cut another loose, old sock just long enough to easily cover the top of the water bottle. keeps the spout area clean - if a good loose fit, it's easy to pull off and hold on one hand, drink and then cover again, while riding... dirty spouts are always nasty. especially important if one rides in the wet in rural areas where 'dairy' is king...

60 to 70 degrees! sounds like it will be a whole bunch of fun! Eddy would go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikeracerinrain.jpg (58.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-23-13, 11:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
A metric in the rain is no big deal. I've done 200ks where it got down to 33 and sleeting, a metric where the whole way it was 37° and raining. Those are about limiting conditions for me, but I'm a wuss. There are lots tougher folks out there. You just have to dress for it. Lots of advice to be found.
Old 04-23-13, 01:06 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A metric in the rain is no big deal. I've done 200ks where it got down to 33 and sleeting, a metric where the whole way it was 37° and raining. Those are about limiting conditions for me, but I'm a wuss. There are lots tougher folks out there. You just have to dress for it. Lots of advice to be found.
Yeah, I have paddled whitewater in similar conditions. I think the technical term is "bo up".
Old 04-23-13, 01:11 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Thoughts? What would you do?
It's a bike. Ride it.

Old 04-23-13, 01:21 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
For that, I'd just wear two jerseys and shorts even if it rains the entire time. You might carry a windbreaker as well, but I don't think you'd need it.

Most people way overdress. In rain at those temps, you'll feel better with bare skin than being covered up.

How much would you wear to run in the rain? If you were running in the rain with temps in the 60's and maybe even the 70's, would you even consider rain gear?

If you weren't going to be out for a long time, shorts and a jersey would be sufficient. But since you'll be out for several hours, the second jersey gives you some insulation options if you feel a bit chilled. If you wear more than that, you'll just swamp everything out.

And don't worry about the bike. People who live in the PNW ride in the rain constantly most of the year.
Last time I went running in the rain was last summer, before I had the tech shirts and other stuff I have now. I just wore a t-shirt and shorts. But I'm also a barefoot runner so I don't have to worry about socks and shoes getting soaking wet with my feet swimming inside them. Barefoot running in the rain (when not cold) feels amazing!
Old 04-23-13, 02:06 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Last time I went running in the rain was last summer, before I had the tech shirts and other stuff I have now. I just wore a t-shirt and shorts. But I'm also a barefoot runner so I don't have to worry about socks and shoes getting soaking wet with my feet swimming inside them. Barefoot running in the rain (when not cold) feels amazing!
T-shirt is not a good choice when cycling in the rain at the temps you're thinking -- technical jersey is the only way to go.

If you have two, do that. If you only have one, take a windbreaker to wear over your jersey when you get cold. Unless you're in a downpour, your feet will only get mildly wet, not soaked. And even if they do, you won't notice it when you're moving.

It's easy to enjoy riding in rain. Just watching everyone bitсh and moan entertains while lightening things up. Plus the air is easier to breathe. The only thing to watch out for is that some people don't change their riding style in the wet. Keep an eye out for them because you don't want them taking you down when they do something stupid and slip.
Old 04-23-13, 02:38 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my most memorable days was a 75 miler over high mountain passes in torrential rain. I needed to keep pulling over to fix a recurring mechanical and the broom wagon passed me by.
I treasure the memory of how I got to the end of that ride. The final descent in fading light was simultaneously grim and awesome.
Old 04-23-13, 02:43 PM
Icecyclist.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do it but only with fenders and only if nothing more than .5 inches of rain will fall during the ride. You can get some race blades for $40 but don't wait till the last minute as they will be sold out to others. Weather forecasts change every 24 hours so you really will not know the conditions until the day or two before the ride.
Old 04-23-13, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
re: "Would you do a century ride in the rain? On a fairly new bike?"

hell no, that would not be fun, and then there's the new bike getting nasty part of it
Old 04-23-13, 02:51 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
A chance of rain or showers? sure. Pouring at the beginning and likely to be pouring all day? probably not.
Old 04-23-13, 04:06 PM
Cactuskid
Ride on!

Bikes: 2013 TARMAC Expert, 2011 specialized roubaix SL3, 2012 Raleigh Rush hour FIXIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO !

Stay in the garage and polish all the chrome bits, wax the paint, oil the chain, Heaven forbid you get it dirty!

OH, we are talking Harley's right?
Old 04-23-13, 07:13 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by banerjek
T-shirt is not a good choice when cycling in the rain at the temps you're thinking -- technical jersey is the only way to go.

Yeah I know, that's why I got the tech jerseys. I also recently picked up a tech running shirt that's cut like a bike jersey but doesn't have the zipper or rear pockets. Maybe I should wear that under my jersey that's a similar color (both high vis orange)
Old 04-23-13, 10:58 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought one of the major features of a supported ride is there's a sag wagon in case you need to bail.

Unless it's bitterly cold it will be fine. Getting soaked when it's 60 and you're going at a decent clip is no big deal. Getting soaked when it's 33 kinda sucks. Just make sure you have an outer layer to take the edge off the wind.

Eat more than you normally would.
Old 04-23-13, 11:25 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Add me to the list of those who find riding in the rain therapeutic. Cleaning up the bike afterwards is a pain, but the riding part can be nice, and the smug factor thinking of those who bailed is off the charts.

Two pointers - a cycling cap under your helmet really helps keep rain/drips off your glasses. A cheap set of strap-on fenders like race blades can keep the level of road grime down from you and the bike. I agree with others about periodically squeezing your brakes on descents to keep the water off the rims.

I also never get freaked out by forecasts any more - until you're clipping in you never know what the weather's going to do.
Old 04-24-13, 12:02 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride and you will get wet no matter what rain gear you have, just wear arm warmers and a wind breaker and knee warmers if you have some., Do not over dress you will get hot even in rain. Once you get wet you will not care about the rain.
Old 04-24-13, 12:14 AM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
done it riding in pacelines with tire road spray all over my face. didn't mind it one bit and the cooling effects of rain were much appreciated for sore muscles near the end.

also, your shower afterwards will feel like heaven.
Old 04-24-13, 07:01 AM
PatrickGSR94

hmm wonder if anyone locally has any fenders I could find before Saturday...
Old 04-24-13, 08:23 AM
MattMem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude - the weather has already been downgraded to 40% chance and showers. My road bike is <1 yr old, and I ride in the rain, just clean it well when you get home. I live in an apartment and just put it in the shower and rinse her off.

Don't worry about it until it happens, the weather here is so changeable.

If you want fenders, then just do interweb shop next day or something, will still probably work out cheaper than the LBS.
Old 04-24-13, 08:44 AM
PatrickGSR94

That's on TWC - looks like they moved the rain forecast back earlier into Friday evening, which means it will likely be raining when we start on Saturday. Channel 5 still says 60% on Saturday.

You riding the 62 mile course? Look me up, black Felt bike, mad bright high-vis orange jersey.
Old 04-24-13, 08:51 AM
MattMem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I aren't riding - it's the HOT WING FESTIVAL - so I too am hoping for no rain.

You will enjoy the route it's nice up there in Shelby Forest.
Old 04-24-13, 08:57 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm wonder if anyone locally has any fenders I could find before Saturday...
I've got news for you fenders are not going to do anything for you in rain just go ride and have fun which you will in the end.
I do have one tip if you carry your cell phone put it on a plastic zip bag!
and stop trying to make a reason for not riding LOL

Last edited by JTGraphics; 04-24-13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 09:06 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
I've got news for you fenders are not going to do anything for you in rain just go ride and have fun which you will in the end.
I do have one tip if you carry your cell phone put it on a plastic zip bag!
and stop trying to make a reason for not riding LOL
Sure they will, the dirty water is on the ground, not falling from the sky. Fenders make a tremendous difference in keeping you and your bike drier and much, much cleaner.
Old 04-24-13, 09:15 AM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by MattMem
I aren't riding - it's the HOT WING FESTIVAL - so I too am hoping for no rain.

You will enjoy the route it's nice up there in Shelby Forest.
I'm sure I will enjoy the descents but the climbing just kills me. I remember riding up there with my brother and grandfather when I was a kid and man there are some big hills up that way.

Just ordered some Race Blades shipped overnight from Amazon for $71 total. Might hit up the LBS to see if I can find a cycling cap of some sort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.