Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tire liner conundrum

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tire liner conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 01:51 PM
jawnn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire liner conundrum

’Tire Liners’ for commuters & touring

(Warning: Performance Jocks won’t like this)

Next time your sitting in the freezing mud changing a flat tire next to a busy road because you trusted one of the tire liners like Green slime or Mr tuffy or Spin skins remember this story.

I used schwalbe marathon tires (with Kevlar belts and spinskin tie liners) For a year with out any punctures, it looked like they had another years worth of tread on them. Then one day the rear tire developed a bulge when I took it off the wheel I discovered that a piece of glass had torn threw the center of the tread and the tire liner and half way threw the tube which pushed up into the hole. If I hadn’t been using a thorn resistant tube I would not had gotten home with out considerable misery.

Well then I had a wild idea that I could use the marathon tire inside another tire of the same size as an affordable heavy duty tire liner.

I had to cut off the bead (which reduced the weight by half), but it fit the other tire I had. If you want a lightweight liner, use a primo commit with Kevlar belt.

This won’t protect your outer tire but it will get you home with out the misery factor. I now have 6 tire on my bike and 8 on my trike.

WARNING! Tires are not standardized sizes. A 1.5" primo comet will not fit into a 1.5" schwalbe marathon, but a 1.25-1.35 will. A 1.5" marathon will fit into a 1.75" 70psi marathon and a 1.5" comet will fit into a 1.75" marathon plus. And a 1.5" Michelin transworld city tire may fit into a 1.5" marathon but not the other way around.

The green slime may work for low-pressure tires but all they can do is add thickness, not resistance. The other two have been known to move around and even cut the tires casing threads. There is a goop that will stop punctures but is so motion sensitive that it has to be replaced twice a year.

specialized Armadillo tires are very puncture resistant but even those have been know to be punctured. They also have a problem with the tread coming off, so they have a lifetime warranty.

I still think they should make a steel belted bicycle tire, Kevlar doesn’t work very well. I looked at industrial tires and saw nothing but a poorly made solid tire whose tread wears fast.
Old 11-19-07, 03:05 PM
recumbentken
Ken

Bikes: Cannondale recumbent / Volae Expedition (recumbent)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using the green slime liners for about 3 years on two recumbents. after 16,000+ miles I have had one flat. That was a sliver if metal through the sidewall.
Cannondale recumbent has Kenda Kwest tires.
Volae Expedition has Continental Sport tires.
Old 11-19-07, 04:53 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Tire inside a tire is an old trick. It works great. Some pros still do it for training.
Old 03-22-10, 12:53 PM
jawnn

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad to see that not every one rejects the concept. If you want more info go here: photos as well....
https://commutercycling.blogspot.com/...rs-expose.html
Old 03-22-10, 02:05 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jawnn
:If I hadn’t been using a thorn resistant tube I would not had gotten home with out considerable misery.
Is the "misery" you're referring to changing a tire?

I use tire liners and rarely get flats. When I do, I change the tire in about 10 minutes. What, exactly, is the problem you are trying to solve?

Ray
Old 03-22-10, 03:46 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
My take on this is that I would rather buy a tire that has the level of puncture resistance vs performance I desire. Since there are tires that go much farther in either direction from my choice, there are plenty of variations to pick from.

I don't think it is a huge deal to change or patch a tube once in a while and see no need to use tire liners, slime, thorn proof tubes or run a second casing inside the first one at least on tour. Maybe in some commuting situations for folks not willing to allow an extra five minutes in case they get a flat it is a bigger deal, but for touring I really don't see where stopping once in a while for 5 minutes (or 10, 15 or whatever minutes if you aren't in a hurry) to fix a flat is a major issue. I do on the other hand think a dead feeling ride and having a lot of extra rotating mass is a big deal.

The thing is we all get to choose what amount of extra weight is acceptable and what level of performance is OK and there are plenty of options so that everyone can find something that works for them.
Old 03-22-10, 06:18 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Another idea, is to occasionally check your tires and pull the glass out before it penetrates too far.
Old 03-22-10, 06:32 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Another idea, is to occasionally check your tires and pull the glass out before it penetrates too far.
Or carry a tire boot so you can patch tears in the tire...
Old 03-22-10, 07:53 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience with tuffy liners...... they caused the flat!!!! I could see where the small radius from the end of the liner had cut through. I was trying to solve a problem I never really had in the first place. Never again.

I figure I ride 8-12K miles year in and year out and fix very few flats. Not worth the bother for me.

But...... if it works for you I say go for it.
Old 03-23-10, 12:02 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Or carry a tire boot so you can patch tears in the tire...
At that point, you have to fix the tube and tire. More work than just clearing the glass.
Old 03-23-10, 08:36 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyakdiver
My experience with tuffy liners...... they caused the flat!!!! I could see where the small radius from the end of the liner had cut through. I was trying to solve a problem I never really had in the first place. Never again.

I figure I ride 8-12K miles year in and year out and fix very few flats. Not worth the bother for me.

But...... if it works for you I say go for it.
I had the same issue with Tuffy liners. The tube wears right at the overlap with the tire liner. I've even tried planing the tire liner down - still the same result.

I'm trying the Panaracer Kevlar tire liner with success so far. The Spinergy liners seem to work too, but they disintegrate after only a few thousand miles.

For serious puncture resistance I'd go with the Marathon Plus and bite the weight penalty.