Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Re-greasing Crank Bros Pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 10:58 AM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone successfully re-greased their Crank Brothers pedals using the method in the instruction manual?

I've tried this a couple of times, using the supplied grease adapter and a grease gun to shoot grease into the pedal and force out the old, dirty grease. The problem is, it takes forever to get even the slightest bit of old grease to come out. And in the meantime, a vast majority of the new grease I'm trying to put in just escapes out the hole of the grease adapter instead of going into the pedal (despite my best efforts to keep the hole sealed with the tip of the grease gun).

Basically I end up with a mess, a ton of wasted grease, and a pedal still full of old grease. What, if anything, am I doing wrong?
Old 03-20-08, 11:05 AM
mp123

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not alone at least, I get the same results. Laying the bike down on the ground so you can really keep pressure helps a bit but it's still a mess. Too bad that little screw in plastic adapter (the one that's sooo easy to cross thread) doesn't have a real zerk fitting on it for the grease gun to attach to.
Old 03-20-08, 01:15 PM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no problems for me.
Old 03-20-08, 02:36 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by comradehoser
no problems for me.
Any tricks/secrets to it? What type of grease gun are you using? Thanks.
Old 03-24-08, 09:05 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just so happened to come across this blog post,https://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2007...servicing.html, in which a Crank Bros customer service agent recommends against the grease gun/grease port method. He suggests pulling the spindle out, regreasing it, and putting the spindle back in using the existing nuts.

I knew disassembling the pedal was an option, but the Crank Bros manual makes it sound like I'd have to purchase a rebuild kit, with the insinuation being that certain parts could not be reused. I guess not.

The blog also mentions why the grease port method is such a pain in the rear---"...the only way for the grease to get to the rest of the pedal is to push through the seals of the cartridge bearing. Ouch."

Old 03-24-08, 10:22 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bearings are tiny cassettes, so it fairly easy (unlike cup/cone bearing pedals) to pull the spindle out for re-greasing, and when the bearings are finally shot, you can buy the little re-build kit that has replacement bearings, O-rings, and dust caps.
Old 03-24-08, 10:28 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ginsoakedboy
The bearings are tiny cassettes, so it fairly easy (unlike cup/cone bearing pedals) to pull the spindle out for re-greasing, and when the bearings are finally shot, you can buy the little re-build kit that has replacement bearings, O-rings, and dust caps.
Thanks. I actually just gave the blog's advice a go, and everything worked out fine. Good to know, since I have Crank Bros pedals on all four of my bikes.

Old 03-25-08, 02:53 PM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just rebuilt my cheapo chromoly eggbeaters. I have mixed feeling about paying $15.00 for a pair of new bearings, rings and nuts. I *still* have an annoying clicking in my left pedal at the top of my pedal stroke. It does spin smoother though...

You can remove the spindle without a rebuild kit. In fact I plan to do that tonight as that persistent click is really getting under my nerves. I intend to shove as much Phil Wood grease as possible in there.

-Sean
Old 03-25-08, 03:12 PM
rosiewoodboat
Wrench

Bikes: A Moser, a Colnago, a Miyata 1000 LT, 'couple Fujis, a Ryan Vanguard, a Raleigh Sports, 1992 Trek 990 with a Fox F80 (!), and a 1994 Burley Duet, among others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
Any tricks/secrets to it? What type of grease gun are you using? Thanks.
It's really easy using the ol' standard shop grease gun, the ol' Dualco.
Old 03-25-08, 04:05 PM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smurf hunter
....I *still* have an annoying clicking in my left pedal at the top of my pedal stroke....
It could be something other than the pedal such as the BB, cleat, etc. Tracking down creaks and clicks can be annoying .
Old 03-25-08, 07:22 PM
BikeGarage
BG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using an "unapproved" method - get a cap off the pedal, pack the cap with grease, screw it back on while rotating the pedal on the spindle. If no grease is coming out on the crank side of the pedal, do it once more. Don't even have to get pedals off the bike...
Old 03-26-08, 09:27 AM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As info, I emailed CrankBrothers and got an RMA # to send in the pedals for a free replacement.

I suggest you do the same rather than waste time and grease
Old 08-07-09, 03:23 PM
AndreasT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greasegun

To disassemble the pedal in order to regrease it seems like a complicated approach, I think that the intended method is faster and results in a completely grease filled pedal within 30 seconds, I wish all components was so easily maintained 
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01040.JPG (90.2 KB, 31 views)
DSC01041.JPG (96.4 KB, 28 views)
DSC01043.jpg (96.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by AndreasT; 08-07-09 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Picture with some goo added
Old 08-07-09, 09:38 PM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use a needle tip grease gun. Works fine.