Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Taxi Federation Calls for Strict Bicycle Laws After Bloody Midtown Crash

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Taxi Federation Calls for Strict Bicycle Laws After Bloody Midtown Crash

Old 10-21-13, 08:48 PM
CoachManny

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport and 2016 Specialized Pitch 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
born and raised in NYC let me tell you those cab drivers are CRAZY!

If you notice also many cars have a corner generally messed up due to an accident.

No doubt this could have been avoided.

Manny
Old 10-22-13, 03:32 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
The cyclist's past history is irrelevant; he could banged on 100 car hoods or doors before, and it doesn't mean a thing. Absent a deadly threat, such as brandishing a weapon capable of injuring or killing the cabbie from outside the car, the cabbie had no business using his cab as a weapon. Hell, the cyclist could have brandished such a weapon a dozen or more times before, and it would be meaningless if he did not do so this time.

NAL, but i played a paralegal in the Army....

The best part of all of this is, the criminality of the incident (or absence thereof) will not bear on the civil suit available to the beautiful young lady who is now missing a limb.
I think we're arguing over slightly different areas. My comment didn't say that his previous history meant that he had any contributory responsiblity for the cabbie's actions, merely that, at the point we then were as far as information was concerned, we shouldn't automatically assume that the cabbie was solely responsible. From the information we had in the original report, we could not firmly say that someone with his record would not have behaved in such a way as to help kick of the entire affair. Neither could we say that he had done so.

As the details of both parties' alleged behaviour became clearer (or more fully reported) the balance of probability swung more and more towards the cabbie's responsibility for the tragedy.

Assuming that the case comes to court more swiftly than the appalling Bertonatti's trial, we should get even more accurate (one hopes) evidence as to his alleged level of criminality.

And I hope that his insurance company won't try to drag out the young lady's case against their client.
Old 10-23-13, 12:47 PM
johnnymoses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
FNinNY
I was unclear-the quote was from his recent conviction.
He-the bike rider-isn't a street person-he apparently employed as a messenger-
but has a sideline being a low life thug-read his rap sheet-
it is filled with intimidation-forcing folks to give him a free ride "free swipe??" at the subways
Yeah he is a low life-scared the cabbie spit-less and the cabbie panicked
The guys was screaming something at him-probably in the same vein as what he was convicted of "decapitate kill family etc"
No surprise. The cabbie isn't some commando-just some poor immigrant trying to make a living.

You guys just don't want to blame the thug because he was described as a bike rider-
many here also reflexively blame drivers -hate drivers despite being drivers.
So the cab driver was able to pull up the bike messengers rap sheet while he was driving and therefore was able to accurately ascertain that this guy was a street thug and therefore posed a threat, thus placing him into a panic? Yeah that makes perfect sense now.
Old 10-23-13, 02:41 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
JohnnyMoses-
EXACTLY!
OK just kidding.
The hint that the messenger was a thug was the yelling threats and banging on his vehicle
Remember this messenger was convicted of the threatening to "kill decapitate someone's whole family" .He was convicted of those threats- BECAUSE HE YELLED THEM SO LOUDLY THERE WERE MANY MANY WITNESSES.
Granted I am making the assumption that this low life POS- ran to form- since low life POS generally do the same stupid low life POS things OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and over and over.

Yeah-the thug yelled-banged on the door-scared this ESL fellow witless-so he hits the gas....and poor tourist bears the brunt-
Now if the driver had been a local-more accustomed to NYNY- probably would have been different.
driver was scared-panicked-hit gas
Old 10-23-13, 03:14 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The hint that the messenger was a thug was the yelling threats and banging on his vehicle
Remember this messenger was convicted of the threatening to "kill decapitate someone's whole family" .He was convicted of those threats- BECAUSE HE YELLED THEM SO LOUDLY THERE WERE MANY MANY WITNESSES.
Granted I am making the assumption that this low life POS- ran to form- since low life POS generally do the same stupid low life POS things OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and over and over.

Yeah-the thug yelled-banged on the door-scared this ESL fellow witless-so he hits the gas....and poor tourist bears the brunt-
Now if the driver had been a local-more accustomed to NYNY- probably would have been different.
driver was scared-panicked-hit gas
Wow...there are no words.... High-horse judgmental is a start.... And HEY -- the driver wasn't "new to the city", either.

Your assumption that living for a certain time in NYC enables males to grow an extra ball, or something similar, is beyond disingenuous. How far beyond...is out of reach of the English language.
Old 10-23-13, 03:56 PM
johnnymoses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but based on my bicycling experience with automobiles, the majority of the time incidents run down like this:

Cyclist takes the lane, thus slowing down car traffic behind, driver gets frustrated and either clips the cyclist in a drive by or gets aggressive and burns the horn, yells obsenities, and starts tailgating the cyclist in an attempt to intimidate and get them out of the lane. If it goes beyond this point the drivers usually resort to trying to race past the cyclist and swerving into them or cutting them off. Have seen it and experienced it hundreds of times and "No" I am not an aggressive cyclist and I do not pound my fist on car hoods, nor do I yell out obsenities or flip the finger.

In this case however, the cyclist was not to be initimated and probably slapped the car with his hand and some verbal exchanges took place. This probably angered the driver to the point that he decided to teach the cyclist a lesson and so he floored it and catapulted the cyclist to the hood of the car and in the process he lost control of the vehicle and ended up hitting the tourist.

Additionally, reading up on some of the statements the cab driver made, initially he said that he and the cyclist were arguing and then later he stated that the cyclist banged his hand on the car hood and then he saw him for the first time. Also, if the cab driver was accelerating away from the cyclist as he claims, then why did the cyclist end up being a hood ornament? All clear signs of another road rager refusing to take responsibility for their actions but whatev, this defense always works for drivers when bicycles and pedestrians are involved.
Old 10-24-13, 04:29 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the defense works it will be because of this "cyclist's" extensive record
and recent conviction of LOUDLY THREATENING- "to murder someones entire family"(and cut their heads off) WTF who threatens that??
and his long history of intimidating subway riders-apparently thugs intimidate ride swipes?? out of fellow riders-this "cyclist" was convicted of this several times-
ALWAYS with the threat-convincing-of violence.
The driver was only in NYNY 3 years- from Pakistan or india bangledesh ?? in any case no doubt our thugs are of a sturdier variety than his home grown thugs.

Odd that you folks want to burn this pitiful immigrant-but the convicted thug who certainly precipitated it-free pass because he happened to be perched on a bike.
Old 10-24-13, 08:22 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the defense works it will be because of this "cyclist's" extensive record
and recent conviction of LOUDLY THREATENING- "to murder someones entire family"(and cut their heads off) WTF who threatens that??
and his long history of intimidating subway riders-apparently thugs intimidate ride swipes?? out of fellow riders-this "cyclist" was convicted of this several times-
ALWAYS with the threat-convincing-of violence.
The driver was only in NYNY 3 years- from Pakistan or india bangledesh ?? in any case no doubt our thugs are of a sturdier variety than his home grown thugs.

Odd that you folks want to burn this pitiful immigrant-but the convicted thug who certainly precipitated it-free pass because he happened to be perched on a bike.
not everyone understands your kind of humor..
Old 10-24-13, 09:06 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hey " cut the heads off your family" -such an odd threat for the USA?? Is that a common NYNY threat? Who comes up with that sh%t ??
What happened to "I'm going to f#$K you up"
You "bike is right" folks are backing a prince. Really think he is blameless "cut your families heads off" WTF !!
Old 10-24-13, 05:11 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
“I had my windows up and my A/C on. I could barely hear what he was saying."

The driver said he couldn't hear what the cyclist was saying. So all this debate about the cyclist threatening someone else is moot. There's also been no evidence that the cyclist made any threats in this instance. He just banged on the cab's hood,with his hand.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 10-25-13, 07:40 AM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey " cut the heads off your family" -such an odd threat for the USA?? Is that a common NYNY threat? Who comes up with that sh%t ??
What happened to "I'm going to f#$K you up"
You "bike is right" folks are backing a prince. Really think he is blameless "cut your families heads off" WTF !!
maybe he tried to **** his wife the day before.... who knows... context and all, we dont know ANYTHING about it

for all we know he was gay and '****ing someone up' just didnt fit what he was meaning to say.
we just dont know, so its irrelevant what happened before
Old 10-25-13, 09:09 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
maybe he tried to **** his wife the day before.... who knows... context and all, we dont know ANYTHING about it

for all we know he was gay and '****ing someone up' just didnt fit what he was meaning to say.
we just dont know, so its irrelevant what happened before
I talk to cats- Glad you mentioned that-"irrelevant what happened before"
I disagree you you folks because "what happened before" numerous arrests for intimidation(making NYNY swipe their subway cards) "tells" me what sort of person the bike messenger is.A THUG who THREATENS people with violence.

Of course the cabbie didn't know this- BUT my guess is the cabbie could feel sense his menacing nature.
Just guessing of course.You could be right-could be "gay rage syndrome" for all I know.

I talk to cats- actually talk to cats ? actual cats?
I also talk to cats-and dogs.Cats are much better listeners.We have 4(yeah too many) plus the neighbor's cat stops by every morning at 5am to intimidate harass an early breakfast out of me.
Old 10-25-13, 09:56 AM
italktocats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talk to cats- Glad you mentioned that-"irrelevant what happened before"
I disagree you you folks because "what happened before" numerous arrests for intimidation(making NYNY swipe their subway cards) "tells" me what sort of person the bike messenger is.A THUG who THREATENS people with violence.

Of course the cabbie didn't know this- BUT my guess is the cabbie could feel sense his menacing nature.
Just guessing of course.You could be right-could be "gay rage syndrome" for all I know.

I talk to cats- actually talk to cats ? actual cats?
I also talk to cats-and dogs.Cats are much better listeners.We have 4(yeah too many) plus the neighbor's cat stops by every morning at 5am to intimidate harass an early breakfast out of me.
Maybe my objectivity comes from my profession but whatever someone did or didnt do before (esp when theyre over a long timespan, years earier and non traffic related) just doesnt matter, what happens is what actually happened

the same 'argument' could be made for the taxi driver, india? pakistan? not known for their civil rights and great driving, also not known for it reliable legal system, this could be stacked upon his earlier fines for speeding (and running red light if i remember) so we can paint him as dangerous driver who rather kill someone thats in his way than call the police

you see, when we would go that direction, everything goes down the rabbit hole and actual fact dont matter anymore

and yes i do, and its about time i call her in, its her dinnertime
Old 10-25-13, 12:53 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Support for bike licensing and insurance from a Democratic senator?? That'll be the day!
Old 10-25-13, 02:44 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I expect the cabbie will have recovered his full memory of the episode-if he has competent representation.
He had the good sense-luck- to say he could BARELY hear what he was saying.He didn't say he couldn't hear
Probably recover it in bits and pieces - Off Family Heads Cut
More seriously- banging on my hood- would startle me- heck he could plausibly argue it startled him into hitting the gas.

Pretty sure the "kill family cut heads off conviction" is just a couple years old-
Anyone reporting on road rage episodes?? If this cabbie is prone to this-someone would have recognized him-and would be outing him on every bike forum??
Usually folks who do "sh$t" continue to do sh%t and have a long history of doing sh&t.
Any real dirt turn up on the cabbie? Other than the tickets-which have been mentioned.

Well cats bugging me for late lunch