Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Teflon spray for chain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Teflon spray for chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 10:10 AM
questionesse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Teflon spray for chain

Hi guys,

I started using teflon-based spray for my chain. It is intended as a long-term lubricant for cogs etc. so I thought it might be a good idea.
Just wanted to double-check if there's long-term experience here regarding teflon spray. Any reasons for not using it?

On a side note: I noticed, it dried with leaving a white residue, which is hard to remove. Any hints on how to easily get rid of that?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-16, 10:24 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Teflon is a white plastic.

The white residue is the lubricant.

I use Chain-L because it lasts so long.
Old 11-20-16, 10:27 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Solid lubricants have their downsides. They tend to accumulate in the rear derailleur and gunk it up. They also don't fill up the tiny spaces inside the chain as well as liquid lubricants do to keep water out.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-20-16, 10:29 AM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
sprays are messy...and using a product that produces a difficult-to-remove build-up on the chain sounds like a bad idea.

I use Chain-L also.
Old 11-20-16, 11:55 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I use motor oil. Cheap and no measurable difference in chain life (or noise) between that and other lubricants I've tried (haven't tried Chain-L, and wouldn't because of the price).
Get spare from mechanic shops for 0$, one dl last ages.

I ride in rain, snow and roads have often dust and sand when it's dry.
Old 11-20-16, 12:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Whatever chain lube the auto parts stores sell. Cheaper than the bike lubes and works as well.
Old 11-20-16, 12:09 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Chain-L as well. Very pleased with it. My bike fell down the into a lake, completely submerged(don't ask). Chain remained lubed and smooth for another two months. Seems almost like 4oz will last a decade.
Old 11-20-16, 12:41 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by questionesse
Hi guys,

I started using teflon-based spray for my chain. It is intended as a long-term lubricant for cogs etc. so I thought it might be a good idea.
Just wanted to double-check if there's long-term experience here regarding teflon spray. Any reasons for not using it?

On a side note: I noticed, it dried with leaving a white residue, which is hard to remove. Any hints on how to easily get rid of that?

Thanks!
The white stuff is the Teflon, it's supposed to do that. And Teflon is a good lube for many things.
However...
Teflon spray is not a good choice for chains, since the main risk of chain damage is the chain rusting and Teflon doesn't really prevent that.

The chain pins are a high-carbon steel that rusts very easily; if they rust at all they can become loose in the side plates and then work out, and then the chain fails. Rust is the problem here, not friction. Teflon powder will protect somewhat against water contact, but it won't prevent rusting from high atmospheric humidity.

You want some kind of regular oil to keep the chain pins from rusting; the amount of "lubrication" doesn't even matter. Numerous tests online of different chain lubes show that there's almost no difference in friction with different lubes.
Old 11-20-16, 12:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
Chain-L as well. Very pleased with it. My bike fell down the into a lake, completely submerged(don't ask). Chain remained lubed and smooth for another two months. Seems almost like 4oz will last a decade.
That's definitely the biggest downside.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-20-16, 01:09 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's definitely the biggest downside.
Only a downside for you
Old 11-20-16, 01:54 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I use motor oil.....
Hmmm..... Sheldon does not approve

Lubricants Not to Use!

While it's hard to say which lubricants are best for chains, some lubricants are real no-nos:

Automotive motor oil contains detergent, to wash away combustion products, and is made to be renewed constantly under pressure from the motor's oil pump. I [John Allen] rode once with someone who had used it the day before, and her chain was already squeaking.
"Household" oil, such as 3 in 1, is a vegetable oil and is acidic. It tends to gum up. (It's really bad news inside internal hub gears, too...)
WD-40 and other thin sprays are intended more as solvents than lubricants. They evaporate quickly.
Old 11-20-16, 02:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by franswa
Only a downside for you

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 11-20-16, 02:26 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
Hmmm..... Sheldon does not approve

Lubricants Not to Use!

While it's hard to say which lubricants are best for chains, some lubricants are real no-nos:

Automotive motor oil contains detergent, to wash away combustion products, and is made to be renewed constantly under pressure from the motor's oil pump. I [John Allen] rode once with someone who had used it the day before, and her chain was already squeaking.
"Household" oil, such as 3 in 1, is a vegetable oil and is acidic. It tends to gum up. (It's really bad news inside internal hub gears, too...)
WD-40 and other thin sprays are intended more as solvents than lubricants. They evaporate quickly.
Read that. From my experience (for 3 years I was doing over 20 km each day and keeping track of mileage and component changes - chains, cassettes etc). Didn't measure any difference between bike specific chain oil and motor oil.

Teflon is a great lubricant. Just expensive. In my experience, motor oil does the job just fine. 20w60 for summer, fully synth 0w30 for freezing weather. I ride all year long, including snow and rain. No squeaking.

Bike specific oils aren't any worse, but cost 10 times as much and I failed to measure any difference. Didn't try the Chain-L though.
Old 11-20-16, 03:38 PM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Works for me

I have been using Teflon spray on all bicycles and motorcycles for 15 years. Great stuff.
Old 11-20-16, 05:06 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by questionesse
Hi guys,

Thanks!
What product do you use?
I use teflon (PTFE) spray and it looks like a thin oil film when I apply it. Then, it remains oily during usage and one could not observe any difference compared with normal lubricant. I could never see it drying, nor leaving any white residue. It looks exactly like a normal thin lubricant.
Old 11-20-16, 05:12 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Redbullet
What product do you use?
I use teflon (PTFE) spray and it looks like a thin oil film when I apply it. Then, it remains oily during usage and one could not observe any difference compared with normal lubricant. I could never see it drying, nor leaving any white residue. It looks exactly like a normal thin lubricant.
It looks oily and doesn't dry for a simple reason --- it's oil, acting as a vehicle for the PTFE. If you don't see anything whitish it's because there's more oil and less PTFE.

Old 11-20-16, 05:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've tried just about every chain lube you can think of, and guess what-- they all work. The differences become apparent in how long they last between applications, and how tacky, and therefore gunky, they get over time. Of all I've tried, Muc-Off Hydrodynamic has provided the best combination of duration between applications, and not turning into a tacky, dirt-gathering mess.

Anything Teflon-bearing I've tried has failed for most of the aforementioned reasons-- it does a great job of keeping the outside of the chain clean, but does a pretty poor job of getting inside the rollers. Outside of chain clean and slick, chain squeaking because the pins have gone dry. Exact same experience with White Lightning (wax + teflon.)
Old 11-20-16, 08:02 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using Dupont teflon spray lubricant on motorcycle and bicycle chains for almost ten years. Can't say any chain has lasted that long because I haven't had any bike that long, but any other lube I've used either got the chain grimy much faster or made a mess of the bike (more of a problem on motos). I've never had a problem with a rusty chain when using teflon spray, but I've never submerged the bike, either.
Old 11-20-16, 10:10 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Read that. From my experience (for 3 years I was doing over 20 km each day and keeping track of mileage and component changes - chains, cassettes etc). Didn't measure any difference between bike specific chain oil and motor oil.

Teflon is a great lubricant. Just expensive. In my experience, motor oil does the job just fine. 20w60 for summer, fully synth 0w30 for freezing weather. I ride all year long, including snow and rain. No squeaking.

Bike specific oils aren't any worse, but cost 10 times as much and I failed to measure any difference. Didn't try the Chain-L though.
Motor oil won't squeak, but it will gunk things up somewhat awful, particularly if you ride in slop. There are different kinds of bike oils, and they vary widely in their properties.

One reason you may have not noticed much difference is 20km/day is not much, especially if you were comparing motor oil to a heavier bike oil.
Old 11-20-16, 10:49 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by banerjek
Motor oil won't squeak, but it will gunk things up somewhat awful, particularly if you ride in slop. There are different kinds of bike oils, and they vary widely in their properties.

One reason you may have not noticed much difference is 20km/day is not much, especially if you were comparing motor oil to a heavier bike oil.
I've had 100+ km weekend rides as well. Yearly mileage about 7000 km. Gunking up was worse with some "wet weather" bike specific oils. Worse with chainsaw oil. Motor oil and gearbox oil were similar, though motor oil seemed to keep the chain quiet for longer, the 20w60 one at least, even compared to a SAE 90 gearbox oil.
Old 11-20-16, 10:55 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Works best for me. Very High Mileage

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-20-16 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 11:00 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

I've had 100+ km weekend rides as well. Yearly mileage about 7000 km. Gunking up was worse with some "wet weather" bike specific oils. Worse with chainsaw oil. Motor oil and gearbox oil were similar, though motor oil seemed to keep the chain quiet for longer, the 20w60 one at least, even compared to a SAE 90 gearbox oil.
This is pretty much what I'd expect.

But unless you ride in a lot of slop, going with something significantly lighter will deliver a more satisfactory experience. Note that lighter oils wouldn't last as long as what you're doing. But your chain would run smoother and cleaner.

If you think about lubricants in terms of price per oz, bike oils are expensive. But in terms of your actual operating expense, they're insignificant.
Old 11-20-16, 11:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Very Low Mileage

Old 11-20-16, 11:21 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

This is pretty much what I'd expect.

But unless you ride in a lot of slop, going with something significantly lighter will deliver a more satisfactory experience. Note that lighter oils wouldn't last as long as what you're doing. But your chain would run smoother and cleaner.
I agree. The lighter the oil, the less grit sticks to it. However, when it's dry, chain gets noiser sooner. When it rains, lighter oil seems to get washed out quicker. So with lighter oils I need to re-lube a lot more often. Like every 50 km, except every 100 to 200 km.

For motorcycle I use Scottoiler - system that drips thin oil on the chain during riding, via a small tube. It slings off the chain along with dirt. Chain is always clean and lubed and seems to last several times longer than with other oiling methods. But it's not a hassle to use - since it's automatic, you just fill the bottle beneath the saddle from time to time - less hassle than conventional oiling.

If you think about lubricants in terms of price per oz, bike oils are expensive. But in terms of your actual operating expense, they're insignificant.
120 ml of Chain L costs about 30 euros to reach my house.
1 litre of motor oil costs about 5 euros. I get it for free usually.

One chain (i use up to 8 speeds on all my bikes) costs about 10 euros for qood quality one I don't use more than 2 per year. For Chain-L to pay off, it would need to double the life of a chain, but I really doubt it can make that much of a difference.

Edit:
I have no doubds that Chain-L does a better and longer lasting job than most other lubes - heard no complaints from any users, only praises. However, considering the cost and hassle of applying it always on a well cleaned chain - it's not perfect for everybody IMO (I know all lubes are best applied on a cleaned chain - and I almost never bother, just wipe the outside with a rag, then lube - life's too short ).

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 11-21-16 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-21-16, 08:08 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

One chain (i use up to 8 speeds on all my bikes) costs about 10 euros for qood quality one I don't use more than 2 per year. For Chain-L to pay off, it would need to double the life of a chain, but I really doubt it can make that much of a difference.
I would expect a negligible difference in longevity and your experience bears this out.

Rather, the benefits would be more about being distributed in a way that makes application to chains a little more convenient, an improved riding/shifting experience (less of an issue on 8 speed systems), and having your chain not mark you so brightly when you accidentally touch it. None of these things are a huge deal, so the benefits might not be worth the cost for some people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.