Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a wet lube that is lighter than Finish Line Wet?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-21-19, 08:31 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts

I have an 8 year old bottle of Finish Line Wet Lube (country) 120ml that is down to 10ml remaining , and I just changed to a new chain, so I was wondering if someone could recommend an alternative wet lube that is a little bit lighter in viscosity, but not runny, and won't wash out in the rain?

The Finish Line Wet stays on pretty good, even in rainy weather, but it is sticky and picks up contamination quickly. I wipe the chain with a dry cloth, or sometimes dampened with degreaser if I am at home, then apply a single drop on each link, cranking the chain for a couple minutes, then wiping off as much excess as possible from the outside and rollers.

I prefer something that is more widely available worldwide (White Lightning is not available here). I was looking at Pedro's, and some people describe the Syn as similar in viscosity as the Finish Line Wet. I also thought about the Pedro's Chainj, which is described as lighter and cleaner, but won't wash out as fast as the GO!. Can anyone compare these to the Finish Line Wet?

I was also looking at the Finish Line 1-Step, but couldn't find user descriptions, although I assume it to be lighter than the Finish Line Wet. It will probably semi-clean the chain while I relube and wipe, but I'm not sure if the cleaning component in the 1-Step would be detrimental to wear in the long run.

I tried Finish Line "dry" Wax a long time ago on a tour, but it rained often for several hours at a time, and the lube would wash out immediately. So I won't use dry lube.

I found it strange that some of the manufacturers' Youtube instruction videos show them "liberally" applying lube, almost like "pouring" it on instead of "dripping" it.
Old 06-21-19, 12:35 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Bar and Chain oil mixed with mineral spirits.
5W20 motor oil
Old 06-21-19, 01:53 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
I used Rock and Roll blue for a while on the beater. Worked okay.

I think Boeshield and Progold worked okay too, for lighter oil based lubes.
Old 06-21-19, 02:53 PM
tomtomtom123

Most of those aren't readily available outside the US. I forgot to mention that I need something with low alcohol content without the flammable warning label, so that it can be taken on an airplane. A lot of those that are solvent based will have the warning label.
Old 06-21-19, 02:58 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
eBay
Old 06-22-19, 12:37 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Airline... Oh... OK.
Don't take any chainlube on airline. Buy when you get to where there is a shop, or use motor oil from a petrol station..... that's free.
Old 06-25-19, 09:23 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
^^^ yep.

At least twice I've forgotten about a bottle of chain lube in my backpack that I've had to toss at the TSA. It's a bit of a pricier mistake than forgetting about a water bottle.
Old 06-29-19, 03:41 PM
tomtomtom123

Oil is fine on an airplane either checked or 100ml carry-on (checked is probably better in case the agent says no to carry-on), but the alcohol based lubes with the flammable warnings are not allowed.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...s-and-vinegars
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...-aerosol-paint

I just got a bottle of Pedros Chainj, and it's fairly light and fluid, but not too runny, and still sticks well to the chain. The bottle has a very small nozzle, much finer than the Finish Line bottles, so it's easy to control small drops.

I've only tested it for a couple hours, so I'll report later how long it lasts in wet weather and how dirty it gets.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 06-29-19 at 03:45 PM.