Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The two "unusable" gears.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-20-19, 05:39 AM
BririaBoarder

Bikes: Biria Easy Boarding 7 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Back in the early '70s, when "ten speeds" were ubiquitous, the lore was that using the highest or lowest gears would cause the chain to fall off/get goofed up, therefore those gears weren't practical to use. (I don't remember the precise details of this bit of urban legend.)
Was that ever true?
I have a derailleur seven-speed, but the gear changer is a clicker set up on the handlebar, not levers like they had in the old days.

~~~A bicycle without fenders is a person without eyebrows.
Old 08-20-19, 05:55 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
No.
Old 08-20-19, 05:57 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 154 Posts
BririaBoarder-

The gears to avoid in the older 5 and 6 speed configurations were the big/big and small/small because the less flexible chains and the crossover angles made these noisy and high wear applications.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 08-20-19, 06:23 AM
BririaBoarder

Bikes: Biria Easy Boarding 7 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, bertinjim, for the explanation. That's what I was looking for.
Old 08-20-19, 06:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
I have never used fenders and likely never will.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-19, 06:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The manual which came with my bike (21 speed hybrid) advised to not use small chainring/small gear or large chainring/large gear combinations, since it does flex the chain and causes wear. With all the possible gear combinations, though, there's no real need to use those combinations anyway. But it's perfectly fine to use middle chainring and high/low gears as needed, which isn't often.
Old 08-20-19, 06:56 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The manual which came with my bike (21 speed hybrid) advised to not use small chainring/small gear or large chainring/large gear combinations, since it does flex the chain and causes wear.
It's called cross chaining.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-19, 07:21 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m afraid I’m in the same boat. Should the brows be shaved or plucked out individually?
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-20-19, 08:53 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I have one single fender that covers both wheels, only thinning a bit in the middle.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 08-20-19, 08:56 AM
Bandera
~>~

It's called cross chaining.
It is indeed and like cross-dressing in the '70's once frowned upon by some but now quite common and simply no big deal anymore, except in College Station.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 08-20-19, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
It is indeed and like cross-dressing in the '70's once frowned upon by some but now quite common and simply no big deal anymore, except in College Station.

-Bandera
When did cross-chaining stop being a thing? My '94 Allez has the original Shimano 600 derailleurs, and it definitely does NOT like being cross chained and tells me so quite vocally. "Buzz crunch crunch buzz". Go up or down one gear in the back and she's quiet as ever. It's not a subtle difference.
Old 08-20-19, 09:23 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
+1 (with a caveat...) My first bike, a red (of course) Columbia, complete with wooden blocks strapped to the pedals so I could reach them, bought at Korvettes Department Store, in NYC had fenders.
Eric
Old 08-20-19, 09:43 AM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by livedarklions
When did cross-chaining stop being a thing?
About the same time that the film "Kinky Boots" became popular and Shimano introduced 10 cog derail systems.
This allowed our local hero of the 41 Captain Fast to cross chain 50X28 on his Team Shy replica to pointlessly brag about climbing a minor grade "in the Big Ring".
A somewhat noisy triumph of style over substance.

-Bandera
Old 08-20-19, 09:51 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
When did cross-chaining stop being a thing? My '94 Allez has the original Shimano 600 derailleurs, and it definitely does NOT like being cross chained and tells me so quite vocally. "Buzz crunch crunch buzz". Go up or down one gear in the back and she's quiet as ever. It's not a subtle difference.
Funny, my experience seems to be the reverse of most folks.. Bitd, I had nine effective gears. The only one I can say for sure I never used was small/small. Large/large meant not having to drop to the small ring (anethema in my teeny rigid racer's mind). Who couldn't get up hills in a 52-21? It didn't make grinding sounds, perhaps because it got used relatively often, also the Ron Cooper rear triangle was famously rigid. I imagine that I used the small ring, living as I did at the top of a 500 climb in southern VT, and doing lots of hilly training and racing, but I can't say for sure.
Now, I have so many gears on some of my bikes, I don't know what to do with them all,* so I just don't bother with the 2 extreme cross chained gears. Not because they're noisy, though they might be. I just have no reason to.

Eric

*my most modern is an 02 Lemond Zurich and it's got 20.
Old 08-20-19, 10:07 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BririaBoarder
the lore was that using the highest or lowest gears would cause the chain to fall off/get goofed up,
IF the chain is too short (ie: bike not set up properly) going to big-big could cause the chain to tear the derailleur off. Nothing unique to a ten speed, but a possibility.
Old 08-20-19, 10:12 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
+1 (with a caveat...) My first bike, a red (of course) Columbia, complete with wooden blocks strapped to the pedals so I could reach them, bought at Korvettes Department Store, in NYC had fenders.
Eric
I grew up in Philadelphia. I remember shopping at Korvette’s in S. Jersey.
Old 08-20-19, 10:26 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
What if you only have an eyebrow?
Old 08-20-19, 01:06 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Eric
Wow! Memories. My parents used to shop at a Korvettes in Redford Township just outside the Detroit city limits. That was back in the 1960s and caused me no small amount of confusion when I got a bit older and went to school and my friends were talking and dreaming about driving Corvettes. I dimly remember there being some legal issue around Korvettes not being able to advertise sale prices back in the day. Not sure I'm remembering that quite right. It's been decades.
Old 08-20-19, 01:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Wow! Memories. My parents used to shop at a Korvettes in Redford Township just outside the Detroit city limits. That was back in the 1960s and caused me no small amount of confusion when I got a bit older and went to school and my friends were talking and dreaming about driving Corvettes. I dimly remember there being some legal issue around Korvettes not being able to advertise sale prices back in the day. Not sure I'm remembering that quite right. It's been decades.
I think the Wikipedia page explains the no advertising of sale prices thing--technically, it was organized as a retail cooperative, and it had "members" not customers--the membership cards were just handed out. This allowed them to skirt anti-price discrimination laws and work out discount deals with suppliers which would have been illegal if it were just a store chain.
Old 08-20-19, 01:25 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I might be wrong, but thought he/she was referring to not using the highest and lowest cassette gears (rear) to avoid the chain jumping into the hub or chainstay.... An "urban legend", perhaps, of people that didn't know how to adjust a derailleur?

I mean, wow, can't get my wife to give up her "dork disc" no matter how much I promised her that the "stop" screw will indeed... wait for it... STOP the chain from going over first gear....
Old 08-20-19, 02:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I haven't had fenders since they came off my Western Flyer banana seat bike some time in the early to mid-80's. I think the rear one began to fall off so I went ahead and removed it. I had trouble before with the fender filling up with mud while foolishly taking a ride down a country road not long after it rained, so I wasn't sad seeing it go. Though back when I was a kid, the times I polished them up with steel wool and they shined up like a new penny , they looked pretty slick.
Old 08-20-19, 02:11 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Small cog and small cog, is the worst. Because you know it's prolonged.

Nobody ever stayed on large/large for long. You knew it was brief.

But small/small.. you know they're in that gear all the fkn time.
Old 08-20-19, 02:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK

This makes no sense to me at all. I occasionally shift into large/large by accident on hills, but I can't ever remember being on small/small.

And if you're staying on any combo on a prolonged basis, it's probably fine. The bikes I have that don't like cross chaining make it too obvious for you to want to stay there. If you're not hearing it or feeling it, it's probably not doing any unussual damage beyond normal wear.
Old 08-20-19, 03:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I have always cross-chained (at least to the extent that the newer outside chainrings allow) when there was good reason for it. I live to climb. I love going hard uphill. If that hill levels off briefly I don't want to have to ease up to do two double shifts to say PC for that lesser grade.

In a race many decades ago, I badly over-geared my bike, 54-44 x 13-17 for the States on a flat course. Less than 40 riders. I spent 80% of the time (maybe more) on the small ring. Rounding the turn onto the 2 mile finishing stretch, I shifted to the large-large so I could pull a surprise jump a mile from the line with just an easy shift in back to the 54-15. Worked beautifully.

Ben
Old 08-20-19, 04:16 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by MikeyMK

If you look above, you will see that I used Large/large frequently, bitd... and as I was riding 350mi/week in (hilly) VT, that was a fair amount of time. I never used small/small. Why would I. The idea, in my mind, and I wasn't alone, if you read some other posts was "Big ring good". Maybe it was a USA thing, or even a NE USA thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.