Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trouble setting up new shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Trouble setting up new shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 09:34 AM
adamfoul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installed Sora ST3500, can’t shift front gears.

Hi, I’d like to start by saying I’m pretty new to road bikes, but have used a MTB for commuting, and I’m used to doing the basics such as cable changes, indexing and adjustment.
I’ve recently picked up a 2nd hand Specialized Allez sport, I think the 2011 version. I decided switch the shifters from the sora 3400 to 3500, as I didn’t like the thumb levers. Grabbed some 3500 shifters off eBay, and I’m having trouble with the front shifting.
Going up, it clicks once and the mech moves a little to the right, but not changing the gear, if I push it in again, the mech moves enough to shift into the top ring, but there is no click, and letting go of the lever the mech moves back again and it drops into the lower ring. I’m confident it’s not too much cable tension, as it won’t ‘click’ even with very low, or no tension at all on the cable.
Is there something I’m missing? Or is it likely a problem with the shifter itself?
Any help much appreciated.
ps tried to add videos, but I’m not allowed to post links. Anyway I could embed them or something? Been a while since I did any sort of code work.

Last edited by adamfoul; 08-26-19 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Title changed
Old 08-26-19, 12:53 PM
em_525

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamfoul
Hi, I’d like to start by saying I’m pretty new to road bikes, but have used a MTB for commuting, and I’m used to doing the basics such as cable changes, indexing and adjustment.
I’ve recently picked up a 2nd hand Specialized Allez sport, I think the 2011 version. I decided switch the shifters from the sora 3400 to 3500, as I didn’t like the thumb levers. Grabbed some 3500 shifters off eBay, and I’m having trouble with the front shifting.
Going up, it clicks once and the mech moves a little to the right, but not changing the gear, if I push it in again, the mech moves enough to shift into the top ring, but there is no click, and letting go of the lever the mech moves back again and it drops into the lower ring. I’m confident it’s not too much cable tension, as it won’t ‘click’ even with very low, or no tension at all on the cable.
Is there something I’m missing? Or is it likely a problem with the shifter itself?
Any help much appreciated.
ps tried to add videos, but I’m not allowed to post links. Anyway I could embed them or something? Been a while since I did any sort of code work.
Make sure the cable is fully seated in the shifter in the shifter's default position. From there, check your derailleur limit screws and be sure that the derailleur can travel enough to comfortably shift to the large ring but not allow an over shift. It's possible, based off what you're describing, the derailleur can potentially just barely shift but that there isn't enough travel.
Old 08-26-19, 01:34 PM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I would say limit screw as well if you cannot make it into the top ring
Is this problem the same in all cogs on cassette?
Old 08-26-19, 04:17 PM
adamfoul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t think it’s an issue with the derailleur or limit screws, as I can manually manipulate the mech enough to make it shift, and it was working fine with the old brifters, they are all that’s changed.
Yes, the problem is the same whichever cassette ring I’m on.
I think now after playing with cable tension most of the day, it’s probably the shifter that’s faulty, whatever I do, I can make the shift by holding in the lever, but it never clicks in and holds its place. The right side works fine, and I’ve just put the old one back on and got it working no problem.
Old 08-26-19, 04:18 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Where they used shifters. If so they may be gummed up with hardened grease.
Old 08-26-19, 05:00 PM
adamfoul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, they are used, a bit scuffed, but they guy had them listed as fully functioning. Think I might be able clean it up somehow?
Old 08-26-19, 05:04 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Sometimes you can flood them with wd40 and work them around until the pawls free up then lube them-up. I’m not a bike mechanic but I have had this problem a couple of times. There will probably be others who also have suggestions.
Likes For Baboo:
Old 08-26-19, 05:58 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Try backing off your high limit screw about 1/8 turn. My bet is that'll fix it.
Old 08-28-19, 01:04 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I don't know about the specifics of your front derailleur, but your description sounds like it might be a mis-routed cable. Some derailleurs need the cable to run over a tab - usually a tab built into the washer under the cable fixing bolt - to route the cable further from the pivot point. If the cable runs under this tab, the lever arm is too short and the derailleur will move too far with each click, and the tension in the cable will be excessive, which might also affect the functioning of the shifter.

As for the possibility that the shift lever is faulty, if it pulls cable and clicks into place and releases cable with a click when the smaller lever is pushed then it is almost definitely not the shifter. Faulty Shimano shifters usually don't give a click in one direction or the other. Of course there is nothing stopping you from flushing the shifter innards with WD40 or a degreaser, I doubt it will make much difference.