Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

For the first time in 12 years, I had a riding companion on this morning's commute

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

For the first time in 12 years, I had a riding companion on this morning's commute

Old 09-24-19, 08:23 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts

throughout my entire bike commuting career, i've always been a solo-rider.

not for any real particular reason, it's just the way it's always been.

then this morning, my wife asked if she could ride with me part of the way.

she's a very casual cyclist and had never expressed interest in joining me on a commute before, but i said "sure, why not".

she only rode with me for about the first 3 miles of my 8 mile route before she turned around to head for home, but it was fun getting some time to ride and chat with her without any interruption from our kids (i drop them off at school prior to my morning bike commute).

she rides quite a bit slower than i typically do (~12 mph vs ~18 mph), but it was only for 3 of my 8 miles, so it didn't hurt my overall time too terribly.

at her turn around she asked if we could do this again, and i said "of course, any time, this was fun".

change is good.
Old 09-24-19, 09:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Yea! We do something similar. I phone my wife as I'm leaving work for home in the afternoon. She leaves home at the same time and we meet at a halfway point and ride together for the remainder of a different route home. It's a really nice routine, and she's become a much stronger rider after doing this for four years during the warmer months each year.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-24-19, 09:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Sounds like fun, I wouldn't mind having that "problem!"
Old 09-24-19, 09:32 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Nice of her. Remember it’s six miles for her RT, a long enough ride if you don’t ride often.
Old 09-24-19, 01:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
nice! I like carpooling w/ Wifey sometimes when one car is getting services, etc. it's nice to have company
Old 09-24-19, 02:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
My husband did that once; I got off the highway onto the trail, and there he was! It was kind of awesome to have company the last three miles.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-24-19, 02:59 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
I hope i can ride with my wife someday...this sounds nice...

JAG
Old 09-24-19, 03:48 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
My son started riding to school this year, so some days I ride with him, then turn around to work.
It certainly is nice to mix things up
Old 09-24-19, 07:46 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Man, I love this story. I really do. I'd love to have my wife join me on a ride like this.

Congratulations to you both!
Old 09-25-19, 03:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
For the first time in 12 years, i had a riding companion this morning's commute
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Man, I love this story. I really do. I'd love to have my wife join me on a ride like this....
Originally Posted by sirjag
I hope i can ride with my wife someday...this sounds nice...

JAG
Until then, maybe you would find this activity interesting. I replied to this thread, “What to do when bored with your bike routes?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been particularly intrigued by this opportunity, especially with a Significant Other:
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Change it up.

Take the bike on an overnight trip to a B&B.
Originally Posted by jeff400650
"I'm taking off on another 2 day trip tomorrow”

I've been doing these fun rides lately...Pick a cool town about 50 or 60 scenic miles away. Book a nice room near town. Ride there (in my case, with my dog along). And then have my wife drive there to meet for a nice, romantic night on the town.

It takes her an hour or two, to drive to where it takes me and my 20LB dog to get in a leisurely 6 hours or so. Some fine dining. A hike. Shopping. Maybe live music.

Next morning, charming breakfast, etc... Then I ride home, usually a different route.

It has been great. I get two days of serious riding, and she gets fun little get-a-ways close to home. We are exploring towns near us that we would otherwise never spend a night in, except that for a cyclist, it is a day's journey.

Healdsburg, CA. a few weeks ago
Halfmoon Bay, CA. a couple weeks ago
Tomorrow, Guerneville, CA. Staying at a place built in 1905. Cabins on the Russian River.

I guess you could call it short range, luxury touring with a spousal inclusion component.

Anyone else into this kind of thing? Or lucky enough to have a girl that will do the rides with you?
…A couple years ago I thought about making up such list for weekend getaways, as you described, and posting to the local Metro Boston thread.

We live in downtown Boston, and can go out in all directions (except eastward into the Atlantic Ocean).

So for here on the Right Coast, counterclockwise around Boston, such destinations would be:

• Newburyport, MA (did a mutual cycle trip there once)
  • Portsmouth, NH
  • Nashua, NH
  • Lowell, MA
  • Worcester, MA
  • Providence, RI (did a car weekend trip there)
  • Plymouth, MA (one mutual cycle trip there).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-25-19 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added quote by Bassmanbob
Old 09-25-19, 09:25 AM
2old

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Maybe as the days roll on, she'll ride further with you. My wife and I ride together every weekend (she keeps up with me or I keep down with her, whatever), sometimes during the week after work and hike together too. Sounds boring, but she's great company.
Old 09-25-19, 10:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by 2old
Maybe as the days roll on, she'll ride further with you. My wife and I ride together every weekend (she keeps up with me or I keep down with her, whatever), sometimes during the week after work and hike together too.

Sounds boring, but she's great company.
I commute solo, and never rode my route with my wife, but,
… In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What a coincidence that your wife and girlfriend both ride the same bikes. Do they ride together?
We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston.
It was a great way to start married life, since every day we would have to find and set up a homestead for the night in a new environment where we only knew, and could depend on each other.

I can remember two distinct times on that trip when either one of us hit low a point, and were bouyed up by the other; me in Kansas and her in Ohio.

BTW, that trip was 32 40 years ago and we're still together.
We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula.
However, since we currently don't cycle together, we serendipitously found as an alternative mutual interest
.., ballroom dancing. After about 8 years of lessons in the 1980's. My wife and I go out about twice a month.
Indeed after a Saturday Ride, I'm well-warmed up to dance the night away.
Old 09-25-19, 10:42 AM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄
Maybe as the days roll on, she'll ride further with you. My wife and I ride together every weekend (she keeps up with me or I keep down with her, whatever)
…but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC
The trip was back in May to June of 1977 on our honeymoon as we were moving from Michigan to Boston and managed a two-month hiatus from work…

Within a few miles turned inland past San Juan Capistrano and onto the Ortega Highway and our very first mountain pass ever.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Route 74 [Ortega Highway] between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore, due to its narrow width and high traffic volume,holds an ominous claim to fame as one of the most dangerous highways in the state
I remember distinctly as we speedily descended the pass, as the song, “Take It Easy," went through my mind, solicitously checking my rear view mirror to make sure she was OK.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-25-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 01:29 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Remember it’s six miles for her RT, a long enough ride if you don’t ride often.
for sure. 6 miles is a "real" bike ride for her, as it would be for >90% of americans.

us daily bike commuters who rack up hundreds of miles a month just going to work and back can sometimes have a skewed perspective on biking distances.

My wife and I ride together every weekend (she keeps up with me or I keep down with her, whatever), sometimes during the week after work and hike together too.
my wife and i have done a fair amount of weekend riding together as well, but that's always with our two kids in tow in the burley to go to the beach, pool, zoo, picnic, etc.

because i'm the designated burely-hauler, when we ride together on the weekends, our cruising speeds are much more evenly matched.

this commute ride together yesterday morning was extra fun because "no kids".

disclaimer: like most parents, i love the crap outta my kids, but they are at really intense time-consuming ages (3 and 5), and little breaks from them for my wife and i to reconnect are like gifts from heaven.
Old 09-25-19, 01:40 PM
2old

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
SD; only wish my kids were that age again although we still ride together at times. Problem is they have scattered from the nest. Keep enjoying it while you can.
Old 09-25-19, 02:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I've done this a few times. My wife wanted to get a ride in, so she rode with me part of the way. I didn't enjoy it much. When we go for fun rides together, I honestly don't mind going at her pace. But when I'm bike commuting, I only want to go at my pace, and it's much higher than hers.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-25-19, 02:42 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Awesome! For a few years I was on a different job and my SO was mostly unemployed so he used to do either the morning or evening ride with me (10mi each way), sometimes even both (rounding up 40mi a day for him!). Actually we were riding together when I was hit by a car in 2016, but that's a different story. I enjoyed our rides together because we could push ourselves if we wanted to, or keep it easy and have a nice conversation without distractions.

Now I'm a different job and he's employed too, so my commutes are lonely. Overall it's a better situation but I still miss our rides together sometimes (:
Old 09-30-19, 07:48 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by noglider
I've done this a few times. My wife wanted to get a ride in, so she rode with me part of the way. I didn't enjoy it much. When we go for fun rides together, I honestly don't mind going at her pace. But when I'm bike commuting, I only want to go at my pace, and it's much higher than hers.
if it was everyday, and for my entire commute, yeah, i could totally see that being a drag.

but my wife only rode with me for ~33% of my route, at a speed penalty of ~33%, for an overall penalty of ~11%, which translates to ~3.5 minutes on my commute.

i'd gladly trade those 3.5 minutes twice a week to get some extra alone time with my wife.
Old 09-30-19, 01:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
if it was everyday, and for my entire commute, yeah, i could totally see that being a drag.

but my wife only rode with me for ~33% of my route, at a speed penalty of ~33%, for an overall penalty of ~11%, which translates to ~3.5 minutes on my commute.

i'd gladly trade those 3.5 minutes twice a week to get some extra alone time with my wife.
Thanks for improving my attitude. I'll invite her again some time soon.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-19, 04:13 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
she rides quite a bit slower than i typically do (~12 mph vs ~18 mph), but it was only for 3 of my 8 miles, so it didn't hurt my overall time too terribly.
LOL she rides a little bit faster than I typically do (~10mph). I don't think my wife has ever joined me for my commute, but we ride together a lot (more trail than road), and whenever we're on the road she rides faster than I do. I probably could ride faster than her, but on the road I'm always lazy, and my ride is more like a mosey than a workout.
Old 10-08-19, 11:22 AM
Bicycle2Work

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
My wife and I love riding bikes together. We've had to take a break because of pregnancy, but we're looking forward to getting to ride together again.
Likes For Bicycle2Work: