Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need reference on good cx tire

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 05:45 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Building my 1st cx bike that is going to play the role of roady and gravel bike limited space 32-33 tire but not sure what is available and dual purpose the bike will be mostly a road bike but I want the flexibility to go off road
any tire suggestions on an affordable tire those $75.00 tires need not apply
Old 09-27-19, 07:23 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Why limit yourself to 33? I'd say about 30% of the CX racers around here try to do it on 33mm tires. If your collecting medals and money it might be a bigger issue, but I tend to go on 40mm tires (maxis ramblers - weight of a 33mm tire, volume of a 40mm).
Old 09-27-19, 09:01 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by chas58
Why limit yourself to 33? I'd say about 30% of the CX racers around here try to do it on 33mm tires. If your collecting medals and money it might be a bigger issue, but I tend to go on 40mm tires (maxis ramblers - weight of a 33mm tire, volume of a 40mm).
As I stated the bike is old and is limited in the spacing thus I am stuck with smaller Old SCHOOL cx Tires..32-33 I am told is about max sizing. I am not a racer but like the dual purpose ability to ride fast on and off road. Everything sold now seems to be geared towards huge 40mm tires. I see prices up towards $100 I have no experience so I am asking for input.
Thanks.
Old 09-27-19, 02:00 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
got it.

I like the schwalbe X-One for the stuff we have around here (lots of grass, dirt, mud, and of course the snow obstacle). Its got some decent sized knobs, so its not a pavement hardpack tire. Lots of people have different tread/tires for different course conditions. I'll use these for wetter conditions where I need a narrow tire to dig in and get some bite - and something larger with shallow knobs for dryer conditions (where I may need more float).

Check out various tire reviews on https://www.cxmagazine.com/2017-schw...ss-tire-review
or go to the racer forum here if you want a more targeted audience.
Old 09-27-19, 07:34 PM
thehammerdog

Great
thanks

Originally Posted by chas58
got it.

I like the schwalbe X-One for the stuff we have around here (lots of grass, dirt, mud, and of course the snow obstacle). Its got some decent sized knobs, so its not a pavement hardpack tire. Lots of people have different tread/tires for different course conditions. I'll use these for wetter conditions where I need a narrow tire to dig in and get some bite - and something larger with shallow knobs for dryer conditions (where I may need more float).

Check out various tire reviews on https://www.cxmagazine.com/2017-schw...ss-tire-review
or go to the racer forum here if you want a more targeted audience.