Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading LIV

Old 10-07-19, 02:12 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I think the Wahoo app that came with the Kickr allows you to use those GPX/Strava/Mapmyride files and control the resistance per elevation profile. I've yet to try that feature out though as I jumped straight in Zwift free mode for couple of weeks.
Now that might be worth giving a shot!
Old 10-07-19, 02:19 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Originally Posted by RubeRad
You should organize a bike train, a published route that kids join as it passes closest to their house, and a big group chaperoned by an adult or two arrives all at school together
There may be one of those in my area... one evening I ran across a huge group of adults and kids coming out of my neighborhood as I was headed in....they were all over the road...I had to come to complete stop and wait for them all to get by as they were in oncoming side of traffic as well as the correct side. That was a month or so ago. Then Saturday night, we were coming home from dinner and there was a huge group of adults and kids at the Chevron that has a pizza joint inside. I was glad they were already at their destination because if was same group...someone was going to get hit and killed the way they were all over the place.
Old 10-07-19, 02:32 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like those adults are not doing a good job teaching the kids road safety
Old 10-07-19, 05:03 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
wahoo refirb Kickr Cores are now $150 cheaper than I got mine last month...want to cry....a lil

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...-reconditioned
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-07-19, 06:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Arm warmers? For realsies? I live in an inland desert. The arm warmers might come out in November. Not because it doesn't get cold-- before I left the house on Wednesday it was 45º-- but because I'm used to it. That ride ended at 94º, for an almost 50º swing in temperature over ~6 hours.

Oh, I'm also fully into "overreached" again, same as this time in 2017(?) I haven't gotten my HR above 150 in almost two weeks. A couple of rides last week, no matter how hard I pushed I couldn't break 135, and power is down around 20%. I'm back to puttering around deep in Z1 for a few weeks at the very least. Last time I did this, it took a full 6 months to recover.
Old 10-08-19, 10:29 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

arm warmers are for the first 30-60 mins....for now.

"over trained" sucks, get healed up for the Festive 500 week
Old 10-08-19, 03:10 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Was 55 this morning when I started out. Yeah arm "warmers" again. Technically they are "arm-coolers", thin white lightweight wicking fabric, but they work well against a slight chill, and easy to remove and stash in a jersey pocket later. I've looked at but never actually purchased real arm-warmers, they are pretty thick. I could have used them descending from Angelus Oaks in sleet during Breathless Agony a few years ago, but that's pretty far out of my normal riding zone.

Overdid it again Doc? What are we gonna do with you? I find 4 rides at approx 130-150 total miles per week is about where I need to be. Yes I could do more and train further, and I'm quite a bit below any over-training threshold. But it's just where things seem to balance out in my life right now.
Old 10-10-19, 12:42 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

thinking of doing a 40K time trail race on sunday....never done one. Course is 6 flat laps, just have to deal with wind.
Old 10-11-19, 11:13 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

thinking of doing a 40K time trail race on sunday....never done one. Course is 6 flat laps, just have to deal with wind.
Good luck and be safe!
Old 10-11-19, 11:44 AM
jimincalif

Always good to try different things. Good luck, hope you do well!
Old 10-11-19, 01:32 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I was going to be doing AIDS/Lifecycle Kickoff Ride tomorrow out of Van Nuys HS but the ride has been cancelled due to fires/air quality. I am going to ride Zwift instead.

I will do the Palm Springs Kickoff ride on 11/2/19 instead now. See my Uncle who lives in PS and has been ill. Got hotel room but might be able to stay at a ALC teammates place.
Old 10-18-19, 02:58 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Doing the MS 150 ride with my wife tomorrow... Day 1 down to Carlsbad, Day 2 to San Diego, Mission bay and then a bus ride back to Irvine. I haven't been riding. AT ALL. Hopefully this jump starts the fall riding although as is tradition, my son's water polo schedule really screws up my ride calendar.
Old 10-18-19, 03:54 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

HAAA you'll be just fine
Old 10-20-19, 07:10 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Doing the MS 150 ride with my wife tomorrow... Day 1 down to Carlsbad, Day 2 to San Diego, Mission bay and then a bus ride back to Irvine. I haven't been riding. AT ALL. Hopefully this jump starts the fall riding although as is tradition, my son's water polo schedule really screws up my ride calendar.
Well I saw your rides and pictures on Strava, looks like you survived. Good event?
Old 10-21-19, 11:10 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

re test the zwift FTP test last night after 1 hour of tempo riding. Increased +8 watts from last months test.
Old 10-21-19, 12:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Well I saw your rides and pictures on Strava, looks like you survived. Good event?
Yeah, we survived. I rode at my wife's pace, so I didn't suffer like I would have if I were trying to keep up with you goons.

The downside... lots of dodgy riders in that speed bracket. SOOOOO many stupid decisions at intersections, plenty of crashes (I didn't see any, just lots of bandages after day 1)

Tons of rest stops (the first one was at 3 miles for Pete's sake). I forgot our water bottles at home, so we borrowed a few from somebody else on our "team" and didn't need more than 1 because of the frequency of stops.

It was fun though, had a great time and enjoyed a little out of town time in CBad with my wife.

She groused about her shifters on Sunday though and it turns out the FD wouldn't shift into the smallest chainring (triple) because it was gummed up. I might need to go bike shopping for her, I don't like maintaining 4 different kinds of drive trains... LOL
Old 10-21-19, 12:23 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
The downside... lots of dodgy riders in that speed bracket. SOOOOO many stupid decisions at intersections, plenty of crashes (I didn't see any, just lots of bandages after day 1)
I have a good friend who crashed on the MS150 due to another rider's recklessness, his collarbone was destroyed, as was basically his interest in cycling.
Old 10-21-19, 12:39 PM
jimincalif

Yeah, we survived. I rode at my wife's pace, so I didn't suffer like I would have if I were trying to keep up with you goons.

I didn't think about that, but yeah, I can just imagine. Probably makes Mr. Wobbly look like Froome in comparison.
Old 10-21-19, 01:48 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I didn't think about that, but yeah, I can just imagine. Probably makes Mr. Wobbly look like Froome in comparison.
No kidding, I think I saw him this weekend... not really, but I did think about him!
Old 10-21-19, 02:42 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I remember the video of that guy (on Palm Springs Century, right?).

I did the MS150 in 2012 right after meeting up and riding GMR a few times with the C/A gang in 2012. It was rainy day 1. My poor bike was sooooo dirty. I haven't done it since for a variety of reasons. It's a great cause.

I made the mistake of waiting til I was ready to leave the finish area to put my bike on the truck. Oops. My bus left San Diego and I got back to Irvine and the truck with my bike was JUST then leaving. I had to hang out for a few hours for my bike to get there.
Old 10-21-19, 03:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I remember the video of that guy (on Palm Springs Century, right?).

I did the MS150 in 2012 right after meeting up and riding GMR a few times with the C/A gang in 2012. It was rainy day 1. My poor bike was sooooo dirty. I haven't done it since for a variety of reasons. It's a great cause.

I made the mistake of waiting til I was ready to leave the finish area to put my bike on the truck. Oops. My bus left San Diego and I got back to Irvine and the truck with my bike was JUST then leaving. I had to hang out for a few hours for my bike to get there.
You should have shared that knowledge with me last week dammit!

We did OK - grabbed our free meal and headed over to the buses, so our bikes got onto the back of truck #3 , which probably left 20 or so minutes after our bus. It worked out OK, but I think the smart move is to put your bike on the truck right away and have it waiting for you when you get back to Irvine. We got to hang out a bit in the parking lot with some other like-minded folks.

Apparently there was a "virtual" MS ride or two on zwift - they had the bikes and TVs set up in Carlsbad at the hotel and we just missed Nelson Vails, but did catch the second guy. Kind of neat.
Old 10-21-19, 04:40 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

You should have shared that knowledge with me last week dammit!

We did OK - grabbed our free meal and headed over to the buses, so our bikes got onto the back of truck #3 , which probably left 20 or so minutes after our bus. It worked out OK, but I think the smart move is to put your bike on the truck right away and have it waiting for you when you get back to Irvine. We got to hang out a bit in the parking lot with some other like-minded folks.
I waited over two hours. You got LUCKY
Old 10-21-19, 05:02 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I waited over two hours. You got LUCKY
Well, we got impatient, not lucky. We took off about as early as we could or it might have been worse.
Old 10-22-19, 12:49 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
The infamous Mr Wobbly

Old 10-22-19, 10:41 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

dude must have been super tired to be Mr. Wobbly like that

or just bad fit/form

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.