Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mail order vs. local bikes shop

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-14-19, 08:48 AM
thatbikeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm in urgent need of a new budget bike. I currently own a 105 CAAD12 which is now too small for me, and since I'd like to switch to something new, I clicked around and came across Condor Cycles. With their bike builder I built an $3000 Record 11spd Italia RC with Zonda wheels, but I also got a deal for an Ultegra Emonda SL for just $2800 in my nearest bike shop. I love Campy and that Italia RC is lovely, but I have read many things against mail order. What do I do then?
Old 10-14-19, 09:11 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Go ride both bikes and see which one you like best, oh wait, you can’t ride the mail order one.
Likes For Baboo:
Old 10-14-19, 09:14 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
First off if you always buy online then the LBS (local bike shop) will close.

Can a online shop properly size you?
Can it make adjustments?
Can it easily swap saddles until you find one that fits?
Can it do warranty work?
Can it service your bike?

Don't discount the lever of customer service you get from a LBS.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-14-19, 09:15 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with buying online assuming a few things: 1. You are moderately knowledgeable about bike mechanics and can deal with putting it together and perhaps making a few adjustments that may be needed. 2. You know what you're buying is going to fit and meet your needs.

If you are going to depend on a local shop for maintenance and repairs, that should also be a factor in the decision.
Old 10-14-19, 09:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Condor cycles is an LBS, it's just that it's a long way away. I've been to their London shop.. nice place.
I don't see any reason to disparage bike sellers who have sought to remain viable by offering online purchasing options.

And, I think it's pretty obvious that purchasing online, especially overseas, means that you'll have to pay a shop for any of the 'free' intro service or adjustments you'd get due to warranty issues -- if you can't do these things yourself.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-14-19, 09:42 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
If $3k is your budget bike, then just buy them both.
Old 10-14-19, 10:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by thatbikeguy
So I'm in urgent need of a new budget bike.
With their bike builder I built an $3000 Record 11spd Italia RC with Zonda wheels, but I also got a deal for an Ultegra Emonda SL for just $2800 in my nearest bike shop.

View of 'budget' aside, nobody here has any idea what you should do because we dont know how urgent is urgent. If you need the bike in the next week, then buy the Ultegra from the LBS. If 'urgent' means needed in the next month, then buy the online Campy bike.
Or if 'budget' means you cant afford $3k even though you wish you could, then get the Ultegra.

Too many unknowns for anyone to be helpful. You know the answers to the variables, so decide based off those answers.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-14-19, 10:47 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Mail order can be okay if:
  • You are comfortable adjusting derailleurs and cables, both for initial setup and for cable stretch
  • You are comfortable adjusting, and sometimes installing, brakes
  • You can true a wheel
  • You own, or are willing to buy, the tools to do these things
  • You have a very clear idea about how you want the bike to fit and you are certain that the bike you order will fit in the desired way.
Otherwise, the LBS is a good idea!

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you're not based in the UK, you may be subject to customs/duties on your purchase. IIRC, these can be quite hefty for imports to Canada and Australia, but can also be significant for imports to the US.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 10-14-19, 10:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Old 10-14-19, 11:08 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Re: Too small 105CAAD12

105CAAD12 is a very nice bike, from what I've heard.
How did it suddenly become too small?

I this a possible sign that advice on fitting was overlooked on the earlier purchase?
Any risk of a second round?
Old 10-14-19, 11:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Mail order can be okay if:
  • You are comfortable adjusting derailleurs and cables, both for initial setup and for cable stretch
  • You are comfortable adjusting, and sometimes installing, brakes
  • You can true a wheel
  • You own, or are willing to buy, the tools to do these things
  • You have a very clear idea about how you want the bike to fit and you are certain that the bike you order will fit in the desired way.
Otherwise, the LBS is a good idea!
S.
Or.. you have an LBS that will do any of these things for you if you don't know how to yourself. And, identifying the correct size frame isn't that difficult for most people.

A couple posters already so far, are hinting that maybe their own LBS wouldn't work on any bike they didn't sell themselves. The OP shouldn't be put off by this, not all LBS shops are like this.
Old 10-14-19, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

A couple posters already so far, are hinting that maybe their own LBS wouldn't work on any bike they didn't sell themselves. The OP shouldn't be put off by this, not all LBS shops are like this.
I have never heard of that. Ever. I know one LBS owner who has refused to work on BSOs for liability/customer hassle reasons. But I heaver never heard of a LBS refusing to work on a bike bought somewhere else.
Old 10-14-19, 11:44 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
My earlier post aside, I bought a mail order bike from a brand unavailable in the US (no chance at a test ride or bike fit), from a UK shop, paid a nice little customs fee, and don't regret a minute of it. I also sized down on the frame according to the Cube specs, but was able to compare geometry to my other bikes to make an informed decision. I do 99% of my own bike maintenance and builds though, and I am sure that has a lot of bearing on being comfortable with a purchase where you might need to make changes upon arrival.
Old 10-14-19, 12:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Agreed and Ill take it a bit further.
If any shop is like this, I wouldnt bet they will be in business for the long term. Its a perplexing position to take, given how arbitrary and limiting it is. To only work on bikes that a shop sold would remove bikes that were bought elsewhere by people who then move to the area, bikes that were bought 2nd hand and need maintenance, bikes that were bought elsewhere due to a deal or availability, and bikes that are bought online.
A shop that will only work on bikes they sold is limiting them to a small % of the potential service market- and repair/service is a place where shops can make good money.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-14-19, 01:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Not working on a bike they didn't sell is stupid. It's a good way to fix what was done incorrectly and make a new customer.

The margin on sales is so low they make real money on accessories and service.
Old 10-14-19, 01:59 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Who will offer better service if something breaks or you need to repair something and don't have the correct tool? Who will contribute the most to your local economy? Who are you more likely to see at your next race, group ride, or other bike event?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-14-19, 02:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
If you need to ask, you probably should buy locally. Mail order works best for folks who know what they want and have some level of expertise. Also, if the new bike should become too small for you, it will be easier to sell a well known brand than a shop brand.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-14-19, 03:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by bbbean
Who will offer better service if something breaks or you need to repair something and don't have the correct tool?
Of course the local shop will be able to provide better service. That service would be the same level for guardless of if they are working on a bike bought had their shop or a bike bought over the Internet though. So to use this as a reason makes no sense.

As for which company will support local races or group rides, for most of the cycling public, it doesn't matter. Most of the cycling public does not race or go on bikeshop group rides.

The whole by off the Internet birses by local argument is never ending and it has been played out to death. Obviously there is no right or wrong it just depends on what you happen to value at the time period sometimes saving money as valued. Other times local service and support his valued. And still yet there are also times where neither those applies like right now when it's components that are what is driving the consideration to buy online. If the local shop wants his business, then perhaps they should carry the components he wants.
Old 10-14-19, 04:52 PM
kshepherd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a Canyon bike recently (internet order only). I haven't had any trouble getting help with it locally. The guy that does local bike fits had worked on a number of them before and the local bike shop has no problem working on it. I agree they would be crazy not to service bikes they didn't sell!
Old 10-14-19, 05:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you need to ask, you probably should buy locally. Mail order works best for folks who know what they want and have some level of expertise. Also, if the new bike should become too small for you, it will be easier to sell a well known brand than a shop brand.
Agree
Old 10-14-19, 05:05 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Although this smells like a troll thread, I dare comment. Why not just get another Caad? Caad13 is a wonderful bike, and with 105 it will save over 1000 dollars when compared to the 1800 to 3000 of the other bikes referenced. All day rider and a great racer, and he can get one locally or online! Problem solved. Now back to the troll...
Old 10-14-19, 08:10 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
buy a caad 13 frame and transfer the parts over.
Old 10-14-19, 08:47 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
First off if you always buy online then the LBS (local bike shop) will close.

Can a online shop properly size you?
Can it make adjustments?
Can it easily swap saddles until you find one that fits?
Can it do warranty work?
Can it service your bike?

Don't discount the lever of customer service you get from a LBS.
For me its all about the service. God bless you guys that like to work on your bikes, but I'm not a mechanic and I don't want to be. The precious little I do is out of necessity, not out of enjoyment.

The best thing about my bike mechanic is the he knew me and my bike. When I took my bike in for service I hardly have to explain anything. He repair and adjust thing I didn't even know was bad.

I finally moved away from my old LBS after 15 years just after my mechanic retired. My LBS and he will be sorely missed.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-15-19, 06:26 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
thatbikeguy to the white courtesy phone....

...paging thatbikeguy to the white courtesy phone....
Likes For chainwhip:
Old 10-15-19, 06:34 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by thatbikeguy
So I'm in urgent need of a new budget bike. I currently own a 105 CAAD12 which is now too small for me, and since I'd like to switch to something new, I clicked around and came across Condor Cycles. With their bike builder I built an $3000 Record 11spd Italia RC with Zonda wheels, but I also got a deal for an Ultegra Emonda SL for just $2800 in my nearest bike shop. I love Campy and that Italia RC is lovely, but I have read many things against mail order. What do I do then?
I prefer encouraging my local bicycle shop if/when possible, especially if you get good service from them when you buy things. If price is better online, I try to have my LBS price-match it. In your case, I believe they don't have the other bike you're considering so it'll be impossible.

The bad side about mail orders is that you don't get to try the products you're buying & you sometime get crappy after sales service.

Always encourage your LBS! Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.