Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Invasion of the E-bikes!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Invasion of the E-bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 10:57 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I do wonder wear all the "real" cyclists have gone. Seems like 90% have stopped riding now that the rain has arrived...but the drop off in E Bikes hasnt been nearly as precipitous so maybe they are getting more exercise than the avg pedal powered cyclist....
Old 10-18-19, 01:07 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I do wonder wear all the "real" cyclists have gone. Seems like 90% have stopped riding now that the rain has arrived...but the drop off in E Bikes hasnt been nearly as precipitous so maybe they are getting more exercise than the avg pedal powered cyclist....
If that's the case . . . maybe e-bike riders can keep cycling alive! We can only hope.
Old 10-18-19, 01:21 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
They all winter in So. California, the land of eternal sunshine.
Old 10-18-19, 01:22 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Wait, I'm supposed to feel destroyed after every ride/climb?? Guess I'm doing it wrong.
Old 10-18-19, 09:22 PM
plittle2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a geezer...78, overweight, but feelin' great! I will ride my Montague Fit for as long as I can, averaging about 10 mph on our New Jersey MUP's. But....when I can no longer make it from the Hudson River Walkway back up to the top of the Palisades at the end of the ride, 25 miles or so, I will convert my Day 6 semi-recumbent to electric, and continue getting out.

My brother, 73, who has stage 4 bone cancer, gets out on his e-trike recumbent for about 75 miles a week.

No sitting in a dark room, just waitin' for the end, for either of us!

That's why God gave us Thomas Edison!
Likes For plittle2005:
Old 10-19-19, 08:50 AM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Wait, I'm supposed to feel destroyed after every ride/climb?? Guess I'm doing it wrong.
There's a lot to ^that^ comment. Seriously. It's arguably at the core of this entire "argusation" we're having here. Lots of cyclists (I'm one) genuinely enjoy burying themselves on rides - pegging the HR in the red, seeing sparkles, tasting copper... all that. And, lots of cyclists don't. Within my small club, we have the full spectrum. I genuinely don't understand why the C Group keeps coming out - they're not getting faster. Those guys genuinely don't understand the A Group - it's just not fun. Neither group is wrong (although, I'd hate to debate the C Group... their perspective is much more rationale).

So, yes - you're doing it wrong. Or, I am. ;-)

Last edited by Zaskar; 10-19-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-19-19, 09:14 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I've got more respect for the guy (or girl) that gets rocked off the back every ride, giving their all, than for the guy who uses a crutch to stay in it.
Likes For pickettt:
Old 10-19-19, 09:59 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
There's a lot to ^that^ comment. Seriously. It's arguably at the core of this entire "argusation" we're having here. Lots of cyclists (I'm one) genuinely enjoy burying themselves on rides - pegging the HR in the red, seeing sparkles, tasting copper... all that. And, lots of cyclists don't. Within my small club, we have the full spectrum. I genuinely don't understand why the C Group keeps coming out - they're not getting faster. Those guys genuinely don't understand the A Group - it's just not fun. Neither group is wrong (although, I'd hate to debate the C Group... their perspective is much more rationale).

So, the B group is the sweet spot?
Old 10-19-19, 10:22 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
No. "Effing destroyed" is more like it.
Old 10-19-19, 10:23 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
They have gone to Zwift. 😂😂 A lot of the ebikes that come in for work at my local shop are filthy. For a lot of users they are workhorses; transportation to and from. Can’t stop going to work because it’s raining. I wonder too about the savings angle. My friend that commutes to downtown drives a 5 series BMW. He said that he has saved a bundle of money on wear and tear on his car. That would really motivate me to keep riding.
Old 10-19-19, 10:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
They have gone to Zwift. ���� A lot of the ebikes that come in for work at my local shop are filthy. For a lot of users they are workhorses; transportation to and from. Can’t stop going to work because it’s raining. I wonder too about the savings angle. My friend that commutes to downtown drives a 5 series BMW. He said that he has saved a bundle of money on wear and tear on his car. That would really motivate me to keep riding.
It's a good sign, they're being used!

Using a bicycle (electric or not) instead of a car is not only cheaper, but better in all possible angles I can think of (traffic, environment, etc.). No need to do any maths!

Save da planet!
Old 10-19-19, 12:01 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw

Are you my high school football coach back from the dead?

Coach says: "Pain is weakness leaving the body!"

People hate it when I bring this up at the top of some stoopid climb.
Old 10-19-19, 03:31 PM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Nah... they're just the guys on their way up or their way down ;-)
Old 10-21-19, 12:08 AM
plittle2005

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I never feel better than when crankin' on the Montague Fit! But.....when I can't make the final hill home, eventually,.......it's me and Thomas Edison!!
Old 10-21-19, 05:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Did an organized overnight tour this weekend. Day 1 was 35 miles. There were two women on e-bikes. One of the bikes crapped out before the end of the first day. (Battery was not dead.) That was the end of her riding.
Old 10-21-19, 02:01 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts

Maybe I need to push harder, I rarely feel wiped out from an A group ride, and I usually do a fair amount of pulling. I could prob go deeper on the sprints. I usually finish in the top 5 if I'm going after it, and have won a couple, but also I will admittedly back off sometimes since I know we're gonna regroup lol I've only been riding about a year (ultra runner, so I brought a strong aerobic engine to the bike game), and I'm still seeing improvements from just keeping my volume up. Should prob do some focused workouts over the winter. I'll def try to dig deeper during the WBL this year, least year I was still learning group dynamics and didn't go after any of the sprints.
Old 10-21-19, 04:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Old 10-21-19, 04:39 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Has that bike got a Shimano Deerhead group on it? (That's all I could come up with)
Old 10-21-19, 04:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

All joking aside, going full throttle (get it? I kill myself!) all the time is a recipe for plateauing below your potential. You need a variety of intensity, low/mid grade miles, and rest. Top end of important but you need endurance too.
Old 10-21-19, 04:45 PM
seypat

Maybe this is better:

"Invasion of the E-Bikes? I think that movie was on Comet last night. It came on between Pumpkinhead and Bubba Ho Tep."

That's all I got.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-21-19, 04:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Has that bike got a Shimano Deerhead group on it? (That's all I could come up with)
With classy bar tape, and enough wire to strangle a pedestrian.

I asked if there was some kind of rule about eBikes needing to have flat bars and this was the response. I said I was going to pretend I didn't see that and move on, bit then I realized people in here might get a laugh at the handlebars.

I don't want an ebike FYI. I just pay attention to what going on with them because I love bikes generally.
Old 10-21-19, 04:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Around here, the B ride is full of sandbaggers who should do the A ride.
Old 10-21-19, 04:59 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by caloso
I wonder if they would do the A ride.....if they were on an E-bike?
Old 10-22-19, 01:58 PM
peterraymond

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How about ebike programing that is focused specifically on make riding more fun? One thing that is not so fun is how 18 mph is work (fine), but not that much faster is much more work (not so much fun). Problem is that wattage to aero drag is a cube function. Twice as fast takes 8 times the wattage. Imagine an assist that as you go faster increases the wattage so that twice as fast only takes twice the wattage. That could make a lot of people work harder - just for the joy of all that speed. Or, headwinds are a drag. Imagine the ebike figured out there was a headwind and erased it? Hills are an obvious drag. Measure the grade and the ebike can cancel it. You can program any speed vs rider wattage and the ebike can provide the boost to follow that curve.

This doesn't really have to provide any help on flat level ground with no wind below some set speed. It could even regenerate down hills, so you work the same up hill and down. The road isn't flat, it just feels that way. It could erase tail winds too.

And hey, this has been disclosed. Anyone could do it.
Old 10-22-19, 02:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Around here, the A ride gets people who should be on the B ride (I'm one of them). Some people remember when I could do the A ride so they wait for me. I suppose I could get an e-bike and save them the trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.