Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What does "MUP" mean?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What does "MUP" mean?

Old 01-06-16, 09:47 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Fred was an actual guy. Toured South America in sandals and ate fruit from the side of the road.
Old 01-06-16, 11:06 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Just like I mentioned in the other similar thread, y'all MUP haters need to venture out to California (bring your own water) because our take on the MUP is a bit different. The SART, SGRT, and LART are all 8+ feet wide, marked with a centerline, paved, 30+ miles long, and regularly filled with people going +20mph. I mean, the San Gabriel River Trail @ the Santa Fe Dam looks pretty terrible, right?

Uhhh, no. Moved away a little while ago and I couldn't be paid enough to move back...well, truthfully one could pay me enough to move back there but it would have to be income sufficient for a pad like one on that row of beach homes in San Clemente on N El Camino Real, with plenty of pocket money for vacation pads in Santa Barbara, Big Sur and/or Monterey, and Shelter Cove.

I lived in and around some of the best cycling that southern CA has to offer and it doesn't hold a candle to Denver.
Old 01-06-16, 11:15 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just like I mentioned in the other similar thread, y'all MUP haters need to venture out to California (bring your own water) because our take on the MUP is a bit different. The SART, SGRT, and LART are all 8+ feet wide, marked with a centerline, paved, 30+ miles long, and regularly filled with people going +20mph. I mean, the San Gabriel River Trail @ the Santa Fe Dam looks pretty terrible, right?

Originally Posted by ciderguy
It does look horrible. I'd be bored out of my mind riding something so flat. Everything else sounds wonderful!
ATL is flat but I loved the mups and muppets riding them out there. If you're bored riding anywhere, that's on you. I'm excited to ride no matter what the view.

Socal is kinda special because you can literally ride from a snow capped mountain down to the beach- in one ride, and enjoy a meal on the sand looking out at the Pacific Ocean- almost all of it from the bike path.
Old 10-15-19, 07:13 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Call 'em greenways here.
That's what they call them around here, too. Although the popular ones are just called "Trails."

But I'm at the intersection of the Virginia Capital Trail, the USBR 1, and USBR 176.

You would think that would make commuting by bike really easy, but no. To get from my house to downtown, the bike route goes from neighborhood roads out to a 4-lane highway with no bike lane and no shoulders. Because you have to get around the private golf courses somehow.
Old 10-16-19, 07:55 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by kellyjdrummer
Perenium.

(Ugh.)
Almost: "Perineum".
Old 10-21-19, 03:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by kellyjdrummer
Perenium.

(Ugh.)
Took 11 years to get that fixed.
Zombie Thread Alert!
Old 10-21-19, 03:10 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryce58
I would like to know what MUP stands for.
Meandering Unaware Pedestrians

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-22-19, 07:56 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Pffft. Tucson has a MUP that runs in a circle entirely around the city, and is ~140 miles long. Bonus: Most of the street crossings go under bridges, so traffic is almost a non-issue.
Old 10-22-19, 11:26 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
4 Lane highway

This is few miles of my daily commute, one lane on the right between lines of trees for walkers etc, the one on left closer to the wall is mostly used by cyclists, essentially making this mup a 4 Lane highway with hardly anyone else using it while I am riding there, over the wall on left is somehow another story, 4 lanes highway for cars and always packed

Last edited by Eds0123; 10-22-19 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-24-19, 12:05 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Pffft. Tucson has a MUP that runs in a circle entirely around the city, and is ~140 miles long. Bonus: Most of the street crossings go under bridges, so traffic is almost a non-issue.
Don't Pffft too soon!

I did Tour De Tucson several years ago and don't remember the LOOP being around back then. So I looked it up, 120 miles complete, planned 131 miles. Though it is a loop, it is a series of trails that connect together.

If you are not familiar, the trails mentioned above can be connected as well. For instance, the San Gabriel trail that goes from the Mountains to the beach can be connected with other trails at a point locals call 4 corners. That is where the trail meets other sections of trail that connect to other trails that will also take you around other areas to the beach as well. Rio Hondo, LA River.

So in all fairness, the trails named differently can all be easily connected as The Loop in AZ.

Just one of the trails here, Santa Ana River Trail is under plan to connect the northern with the southern section and that alone will be about 100 miles. If one wants to throw in a 10 miles section of Pacific Coast Hwy, I'm guessing a 200 mile loop is possible.

Then named trails, though you understand as several different trails, are also connected like the Loop.

FTR, we do not cross traffic either. All of the crossings are underpasses as well here on our trails.

We have done rides from the mountains to the ocean, 80 miles round trip without crossing paths with a single car.

One great thing about our trails is that they take you to the ocean. Great bonus during the Summer as temps drop 16-20 degrees compared to the inland sections.

Contrary to other MUPs mentioned many times on forums, ours are not over crowded with skaters, joggers, pimps etc!

Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 10-30-19, 06:14 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Mostly Urban Poseurs
Old 11-01-19, 11:12 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Maze of Unpredictable People
Likes For alan s:
Old 11-01-19, 11:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Who's the path you need to know when you've got a place to go?
I'm the MUP! I'm the MUP!
Genesis 49:16-17