Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

If I had to pick Skyline or Blue Ridge ...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

If I had to pick Skyline or Blue Ridge ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 08:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by DeceptivelySlow
It is not horrible for cycling but a bit of a down grade for sure from the previous smooth surface. Also more vehicle interior noise when driving; don't like it.
Concur based on what I saw last summer. It's better than some of the "pavement" that needs to be replaced two years ago, it's worse that what was there before they chip-sealed it. Hopefully it will extend the pavement life.

BTW, at the risk of getting political, when did "conservative" stop meaning "conserve what you've got," and change to meaning "cheap"?
Old 03-10-19, 08:31 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Interesting thread. I've like to visit BRP this spring/summer & do a little riding too. Not too far into planning yet, but I'd probably need to find a nearby campground and base my riding on what's from there. I'll probably just bring my gravel bike, with a 2nd set of road wheels too, as to get in several different kinds of rides if that's possible. I'm not the climber I maybe once though I was, but the super-low CX gearing will probably get me up anything - eventually.
Old 03-10-19, 10:40 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
Interesting thread. I've like to visit BRP this spring/summer & do a little riding too. Not too far into planning yet, but I'd probably need to find a nearby campground and base my riding on what's from there. I'll probably just bring my gravel bike, with a 2nd set of road wheels too, as to get in several different kinds of rides if that's possible. I'm not the climber I maybe once though I was, but the super-low CX gearing will probably get me up anything - eventually.

Here is a link to the Park campgrounds on the BRP. We have camped the majority of them over the years. Unfortunately only two of them have showers. Julian Price is close to Blowing Rock and Boone and there is some very nice riding out of there. Pisgah is nice and not too far from Asheville. My favorite BRP sections are around Pisgah but there is more climbing. But there isn’t anything terribly steep if you stick to riding the BRP.

If you you venture off the BRP onto connecting roads you can get into some longer and steeper climbing. There is a nice campground off Hwy 70 in Marion but beware of the climb from there to the BRP. It’s fairly steep for the last 5 miles on Hwy 80 up to the Parkway. That campground is probably tailored more towards RVs as I recall.

We we have also stayed at Springmaid Mountain which is a little bit off the BRP east of Spruce Pine. You can ride from the campgrounds over to the BRP. I used to ride to Mitchell and back from there.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/camping.htm

https://www.springmaidmountain.com/

One of our favorite campgrounds off the BRP is the Davidson River Campground outside of Brevard. There is a really nice scenic road from there up to the BRP. It’s a lengthy climb but it’s very doable. Brevard has some nice spots to visit as well (see previous poster).

https://www.pisgahhospitalitypartner...er-campground/

Anyway, there are lots of opportunities. If I can help you with any details just let me know.
Old 10-20-19, 02:54 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Just my 2 cents here.

My money is on the BRP and summit Mt Mitchell. If you don't do Mitchell you are missing one hell of a climb if that is your thing. Not to mention the views from the top are amazing in all directions. Two of the 3 highest peaks in the east are there. Mt Mitchell of course being the highest peak in the east.

john
Reviving my thread from last winter. The suggestions of all were duly noted. I rejigged travel plans to allow 3 days riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but as life goes or in this case the weather, it worked out to just one.

But what an amazing one day ride. Rode from Swananowa (East Asheville) to the top of Mt. Mitchell and down the top 4 miles where my wife waited with lunch and a ride back down. 43 miles and 6500 ft of climbing. A bit of a stretch for me given how little I've been riding, but the amazing views and sunshine were motivating.

The other two days, one before and one after Mt. Mitchell were 25 mph winds gusting to 40 mph the day prior and rain all day the following day.

I'm exceedingly happy with the one day.

Again, many thanks to everyone for their input.

Paul
Likes For h2oxtc:
Old 10-20-19, 06:38 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Reviving my thread from last winter. The suggestions of all were duly noted. I rejigged travel plans to allow 3 days riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but as life goes or in this case the weather, it worked out to just one.

But what an amazing one day ride. Rode from Swananowa (East Asheville) to the top of Mt. Mitchell and down the top 4 miles where my wife waited with lunch and a ride back down. 43 miles and 6500 ft of climbing. A bit of a stretch for me given how little I've been riding, but the amazing views and sunshine were motivating.

The other two days, one before and one after Mt. Mitchell were 25 mph winds gusting to 40 mph the day prior and rain all day the following day.

Paul
Excellent! I hope to get in a few miles on the BRP this Friday if the weather is decent.
Old 10-21-19, 05:26 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Great you got in a ride up Mt. Mitchell! Impressive ride for someone who hasn't been riding much; nice job making the most of the good weather day. I was on the lower portion of that ride on the BRP what I believe was the afternoon before your ride after the wind backed off a bit.
Old 10-23-19, 09:13 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc

Paul
What? You mean you did not get to the tippy top of Mitchell? Doesn't count. Only kidding. I carried my bike up to this point on that small walking path. Tried to ride up to this point but the rangers said no since people were walking on the path. Anyway, I wanted a pick on the very top. This is my old bike. I've made it to the top on my newer bike a few more times. Nothing like making it to the ranger station and the false flat where there is "only" about a mile left to the summit.

My last summit was a few years ago at the end of the Assault on Mt Mitchell. The summit is the end of that ride! 25 miles from Marion to the top and almost 6,000 feet of climbing at the end of a century ride. That was and is it for me. That was enough suffering to last me the rest of my life.

Glad you got to experience it. It is a bucket list type of thing. Trust me, you won't forget it anytime soon. I still remember the pain. Funny on my first summit back in 2013, there were a bunch of Model T's trying to make it up to the ranger station. I got up there and they were all parked and many came over to me and asked me about riding my bike up to that point (still 1 mile to the top). They told me that many of their cars could not handle the grade and they had to park them down at the entrance to the access road. That made an old man feel pretty good that I could do a climb that a car could not albeit a Model T.

For sure though for me, the ride down is worth it. I have passed cars on the way down. That is one amazing descent. In the spring though it can be a bit chilly.

Congrats....now you are ready for the Assault on Mt Mitchell!

Likes For rutan74: