Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Schwinn path-style, circa 1935?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 02:41 PM
drpaddle
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts

Here's a link to photos of my very odd Schwinn from 1935, based on the frame number. Who knows what it is? The frame is small diameter "gas pipe". It is assembled with steel welds, not with brass. The bottom bracket is threaded. The tips are rear-facing. It appears to have original paint, as there are remnants of pin striping. The only surviving decal (which may not be original) is at the top of the seat tube.

I thought it might be a Racer, but Racer tips face forward and the cranks are single piece. It's not a Superior, because it's welded gas pipe. I'm sure it's a Schwinn based on the assembly method and the characteristic seat cluster.

Ideas...?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGUhNnT
Likes For drpaddle:
Old 10-23-19, 02:49 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Pic assist

DSCF0367 by drpaddle, on Flickr
Likes For ryansu:
Old 10-23-19, 03:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Wish I could offer help but wanted to just say I think you have an awesome bike. With the “derailleur” (I think) cog would in my uneducated guess lend more to touring/racing than path racer. Both of those categories light my fire. I wish you well.
Likes For OldsCOOL: