Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Kind of OT: Do you have a secret weapon (food) that helps keep you honest?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Kind of OT: Do you have a secret weapon (food) that helps keep you honest?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 12:49 AM
bones

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MUESLI.
I freqently mix up a serving at night and soak it in milk or soy milk (2%)overnight. There are unlimited versions, most based on oats. These can be mixed in larger batches once a week if necessary, but I like it best fresh daily.
One I like is
3/4 cup oats (old fashioned, not quick. Lower glycemic), 2-3 tbs nuts, like sunflower, pinola, cashew, almond. Raw is best. Handful chopped dried fruit, or raisins or even fresh fruit, like chopped strawberries, cherries, apple, grapes, whatever is available. Tbs wheat germ if I have it. Yogurt may be substituted for some of the milk if desired.
No sweetener needed, the enzymes and heat sensitive vitamins are intact, and this stuff keeps me going for many miles when I ride.
YUM!
Old 01-31-07, 02:22 AM
(51)
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kashi bars
Old 01-31-07, 11:03 AM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"actar" reminded me:

Most Sundays I stop at the market and get a family pack of chicken cutlets. I then cut them in half (on the bias, so they are thinner -- making two cutlets) and pound them out a little.

I heat up my griddle pan and cook all of them. (After second turn I hit each one with a little something -- Lowry Seasoning sometimes, s&p other times, whatever.)

Then I grab the cleaver and dice them all up and throw them in a big plastic container.

Several nights a week, instead of ordering in Chineese food or pizza or whatever, Mrs. Hambone and I can then have a filling and satisfying salad.

I also put sunflower seeds, some cheese, dried cranberries, raisons, whatever in there. Basically, if I am making a salad my dinner -- my logic is nothing I put in there makes the salad a bad choice compared to what I would have had in the old days. And the more I do it the less it takes to get me excited about a salad.
Old 01-31-07, 01:39 PM
Seamus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fruit
Nuts (moderation - fat)
Trail mix (the ones WITHOUT M&Ms or chocolate chips - TJoes is a good source)

There is a good all-natural granola product available in individual bags branded Bear Naked. I found it at costco. No refined sugars, lots of good stuff like flaxseed and whole grains. This is a perfect quick breakfast or afternoon snack.

I've also been eating a lot more veggies. I used to average one serving a day, now I try to have fruit or veg with every meal.

Jim
Old 01-31-07, 03:00 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
If you want the best snack to keep around, I'd suggest Vegemite. The stuff is so vile that Australians who've had to subsist on it exclusively have been known to choose starvation!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-31-07, 03:02 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
All this talk of food is making me hungry ...
Old 01-31-07, 03:23 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
If you want the best snack to keep around, I'd suggest Vegemite. The stuff is so vile that Australians who've had to subsist on it exclusively have been known to choose starvation!
one of the reasons I find it really hard to loose weight with little kids... there are some foods you just have to keep around. And they are yummy.
Old 02-04-07, 12:57 AM
mattyknacks

Bikes: 2008 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hambone
just kernals in a brown paper bag and they pop?

nothing to it?

Is it really that dang easy?
Yep, that's all there is to it. But stand there and listen to the popping. When it starts to slow down, take them out before the already popped popcorn starts to get that "burnt" taste.

Matty in Brooklyn
Old 02-04-07, 01:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)
Kashi bars

+1 on these. Love them on my rides.

Old 02-04-07, 02:09 PM
epix1718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing low carb dieting but when I have cravings I love making a chocolate protein shake with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. tastes just like a reeses.

When I really want something special and spicy I make jalapeno poppers by cutting a jalapeno in half and filling it with cream cheese, shredded cheese, and finally a bit of bacon and setting it in the oven.
Old 02-04-07, 04:40 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cheat. 10 mcg of Byetta twice a day. My endocrinologist calls it gastric bypass in a vial. Keeps the cravings and overeating binges from even happening. I've lost around 35 pounds with it. It isn't for everyone, as it also controls and lowers blood sugar.
Old 02-04-07, 06:39 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I make my own chili and make it with turkey burger. Rinse the syrup off the beans, tomato juice, spices, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, tomatos..... what's not healthy about that?
Old 02-05-07, 08:53 AM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My lady got me a Magic Bullet for Christmas so I've been trying to keep fruit in the house. Throw in some frozen (unsweetened) strawberries, a banana and a bit of orange or apple juice and it makes a great smoothie.
I've also started eating a lot more salad. When I'm at home I use fresh spinach leaves instead of lettuce. I also like to add a little feta cheese and tomatoes. I have 2 tricks to cut calories without using low fat dressing. I either mix the seeds and juicy parts of the tomato with my regular ranch dressing so I use much less of it, or I mix ranch and salsa or just use salsa. I also look for bread that actually has fiber in it. most white bread and many wheat breads don't have much if any. I really like the Aunt Millie's light potato bread. it has 35 calories per slice and 3 grams of fiber.
Old 02-07-07, 01:44 PM
kellefson
adjunct cyclist

Bikes: 05 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 04 Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honey crisp apples...mmm they are sooo good. I eat three a day.
Old 02-09-07, 01:19 PM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
apples, low fat mozzarella cheese sticks (by themselves or in tiny pieces on a salad), almonds, olive oil & vinegar, low fat skinless grilled chicken or turkey, egg whites, anything whole wheat, as many veggies as i can tolerate, fruit in small-medium amounts (no huge bowls of mangoes and yogurt!), water (lots and lots of water... at a restaurant see if you can drink 2 full glasses of water and eat your whole side salad with basalmic vinegar dressing before getting your dinner). no pop, not even diet. no lattes - sugar free/fat free if it is a must, but usually i have black coffee sometimes with a tiny bit of creamer. oatmeal with a tiny bit of honey or some fruit, cheerios.. also, its not a food but controlling portion sizes has been great on my diet. like if my wife makes cookies, i limit myself to 1. if she makes lasagna i can have 1 serving, which i guess would be about the size of 1/2 a dollar. if i have ice cream i can have whatever it says is 1 serving on the package. just obey the serving sizes, don't have 2 lunches or 2 dinners in 1 day. make sure you eat breakfast to avoid binging at lunch. oh and let us not forget Subway's less than 6 menu. a staple of my diet is a Turkey salad with no cheese, all the veggies i want, and no dressing but a squirt of the olive oil and vinegar, i later learned the "extra virgin olive oil" is actually "90% canola oil and 10% olive oil" but whatever its better for you than the ranch, i think... i've been on this diet for 2 weeks and lost 11 pounds, with very little exercise because i hurt my ankle, can't wait to see what i lose when i start exercising again.
Old 02-09-07, 02:10 PM
Hambone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I've got a good one...

Greek Lemon Rice Soup

start with a qt of chicken stock (if you use canned, I'd let it steep with some bones and stuff)
add 1/2 cup rice (I used basmatti and it was slammin') let simmer 1/2 hour (note, you can use left over rice too (if cooked, 1.5 cups)
while that is simmering:
in a bowl mix:
* juice of 3 lemons (and zest one)
* 2 eggs
* 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
slowly add some stock to the bowl above and mix till it gets up to temp (so you don't cook the eggs)

Then add to soup and warm for a few minutes so egg cooks and thickens.

NOTE: the parsley makes this. If you are not eating all of this at once, reserve the parsley and add when you have the leftovers.
Old 02-11-07, 06:47 AM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I like vegemite. It's also probably one of the healthiest spreads in the world. Very high in vitamin B. And great on toast.
Old 02-11-07, 08:24 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by damnable
I like vegemite. It's also probably one of the healthiest spreads in the world. Very high in vitamin B. And great on toast.
I know, I was teasing!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant