Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I almost ran into a bear today.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 05-28-18, 09:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

I dropped my girlfriend off at a sunny gravel bar on the river, left her with the car, and rode off to find a dirt road. Most of them were gated. I took the first one I came to, let's see where this old double track goes. About a mile in, I'm riding slowly up a hill, and a snout pokes out of the bushes, then a bear behind it. It looked happy and lumbering, climbed up, walked into the road, looked at me, then obviously startled and ran off into the bushes. I stood there telling myself "don't run don't run don't run" and it was gone. Waited until there was no noise, then left the way I came.

If getting away from cars is part of why we do gravel, I guess wildlife goes with it. What have you seen lately?
Old 05-28-18, 09:51 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Holmes i run into bears 🐻 every yesr in nwnj we sll use bells on bikes to alert bears that we are in area. Scarey but cool
Old 05-29-18, 12:39 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
On my road trip last week I saw 3 black bears by the side of the road as I passed, two elk and one coyote. One young male elk gave chase for a bit.

Old 05-29-18, 07:21 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I dropped my girlfriend off at a sunny gravel bar on the river, left her with the car, and rode off to find a dirt road. Most of them were gated. I took the first one I came to, let's see where this old double track goes. About a mile in, I'm riding slowly up a hill, and a snout pokes out of the bushes, then a bear behind it. It looked happy and lumbering, climbed up, walked into the road, looked at me, then obviously startled and ran off into the bushes. I stood there telling myself "don't run don't run don't run" and it was gone. Waited until there was no noise, then left the way I came.

If getting away from cars is part of why we do gravel, I guess wildlife goes with it. What have you seen lately?
Deer, mostly. Sometimes coyotes early in the morning, occasionally foxes. Our fauna is boring in the midwest.
Old 05-29-18, 08:10 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Boars, eight of them, females and juveniles during summer 2017.

They ran away when they saw me. I ran away when I saw them. A mile later and there they are again just hanging out on the side of the forest service road. I yelled and they took off. Don't fool yourself. They can run fast. Craved bacon the whole rest of the ride.
Old 05-29-18, 08:51 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Without a picture it didn't happen.
Old 05-29-18, 08:53 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

p.s. Drivetrain out
Old 05-29-18, 08:59 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This is SoCal. We are limited to rabbits, squirrels, and coyotes, all of which I see on virtually every single ride. I did see a bobcat once. At the Grand Canyon there were Mule Deer everywhere.

I'm pretty sure I ran over a snake on Sunday.
Old 05-29-18, 09:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
good thing you have catlike reflexes, or intuition rather, meaning freeze, then exit the area. not all animals can say the same thing. this is about as much wildlife as I've seen lately

oh, almost forgot this pair of horses that had a little fun out of their yard last week!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-29-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-29-18, 12:15 PM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did

Zoom in to see this healthy bruin. Gave him a few minutes to pass.
Old 05-29-18, 12:39 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
At least it wasn't a cougar like those MTBs unfortunately ran into last week! Haven't run into bears while riding but routinely run into them out climbing in the spring as they begin to wake up and wander about.
Old 05-29-18, 03:47 PM
MPE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Deer, Otters, turtles, snakes, raccoons and alligators! Sorry about the crummy picture. I did not want to get too close. Gators give me the willys!
Old 05-29-18, 04:12 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Bear/cyclist collisions here in the Boulder area:

2006: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cyclist...ing-triathlon/

2008: Injured cyclist: 'Watch out for bears' - Boulder Daily Camera
Old 05-29-18, 04:20 PM
Shimagnolo

A few years ago, I was up at Grand Lake to meet a buddy who was staying in a small guest cabin.
We were standing on the deck talking, when this guy calmly walked right up next to us.
Old 05-29-18, 06:36 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I was charged by a groundhog the other day. That was quite entertaining.
Old 05-30-18, 07:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
we nick named this guy Marvin the moose at Baxter State Park back in 2011

Old 05-30-18, 08:51 AM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Coyotes, very infrequently bobcats, snakes(sometimes rattlers) on my rides in the foothills behind Santa Barbara. Bears can run as fast as 30mph so steer clear.

regards, Brian
Old 05-30-18, 10:26 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
At least it wasn't a cougar like those MTBs unfortunately ran into last week! Haven't run into bears while riding but routinely run into them out climbing in the spring as they begin to wake up and wander about.
I saw a clip of the news from that, it looks like they were on gravel road bikes. The news reported MTB, but the bikes they showed had drop bars.

Locals have been talking about that, and the theory is we look more like some kind of prey animal on the bike, we're not walking upright.
Old 07-11-18, 11:38 AM
Shimagnolo

Yesterday on Flagstaff Mtn in Boulder CO: Cyclist hits, kills deer on Boulder's Flagstaff Road - Boulder Daily Camera

I climbed Flagstaff just a few hours earlier and saw a fawn and its mother at Gregory Cyn near that location.
Old 07-12-18, 04:02 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Mountain lion in the Sierras 2 months ago. We both stopped and stared and then he/she slowly moved away. I just kept eyes on it for as long as I could before riding off.
Old 07-12-18, 08:41 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Lots of eagles lately! Otherwise, tons of deer (the Bambis are just now beginning to lose their spots), woodchucks, turtles of all shapes and sizes, snakes, and bunnies. Oh, and bats! Mostly in the evening.

There are apparently bears in the area, but I have yet to see one. We don't seem to have anything exotic and cool like bobcats and mountain lions (not that I'd really want to come across a mountain lion on my bike).

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Yesterday on Flagstaff Mtn in Boulder CO: Cyclist hits, kills deer on Boulder's Flagstaff Road - Boulder Daily Camera

I climbed Flagstaff just a few hours earlier and saw a fawn and its mother at Gregory Cyn near that location.
That's crazy! I know that area really, really well - mostly from hiking, in my pre-cycling days.
Old 07-12-18, 08:55 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Kinda glad I didn't see the bears!

Must have crossed a dozen sets of tracks that day! Road from Cogswell to Rincon Redbox
Old 07-16-18, 06:10 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,013 Posts
Whitetail deer all the time and they like to dart out in front of you at the last minute, never been hit but had close calls. Wild feral hogs but they run away but most dangerous is rattlesnakes warming up on the gravel or pavement. Buzzards eating roadkill and buzzards like to barf so they can gain flight, knowning this I stop and let them take off.
Old 07-21-18, 02:12 PM
profjmb

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jp911
Mountain lion in the Sierras 2 months ago. We both stopped and stared and then he/she slowly moved away. I just kept eyes on it for as long as I could before riding off.
If that happened to me, I could die happy.
Old 07-22-18, 05:10 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
This is SoCal. We are limited to rabbits, squirrels, and coyotes, all of which I see on virtually every single ride. I did see a bobcat once. At the Grand Canyon there were Mule Deer everywhere.

I'm pretty sure I ran over a snake on Sunday.
Well, we do have mountain lions too, though I've never seen one. I live and ride in the Altadena/Pasadena/Glendale area. Riding I have almost run over rattlers more than a few times, seen quite a few coyotes, deer, and bobcats. I have had a black bear in my backyard 3 times in the last 6 years, plus bobcats and coyotes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.