Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Great pic of Greg Lemond

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Great pic of Greg Lemond

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 12:16 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,645 Times in 3,482 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Scorching HOT!
Old 01-12-13, 05:54 PM
1bluetrek

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greg and I in 2008

Last edited by 1bluetrek; 01-12-13 at 05:59 PM. Reason: forgot comment
Old 01-12-13, 06:26 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He is the one and only american to win the TdF, LA got lucky he did not get stripped of his world champion tittle too hehe
Old 01-12-13, 07:22 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
In many interviews, he's stammering and saying stuff that doesn't make much sense.
It's true, and I hear he was even worse during his racing days.
Old 01-12-13, 07:29 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Scorching HOT!
I blush at your kind compliment; and thanks Higherground.
I wouldn't trade my beloved Hot-Dog-on-a-Stick Badgerbike for every Trek ever made.

Old 01-12-13, 07:44 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Lemond could have played this whole thing a lot smarter and closer to the vest, and he'd still have his bicycle company. There's no income stream on the moral high ground.

The other part of this that strikes me as hypocritical is the simple reality riders like Lemond and Hampsten had successful careers at the highest level in the 80s, and by the time EPO started to infiltrate the pro peloton in the early to mid 1990s, they could hang it up and go home. They were never 20-25 year old budding stars confronted with the nasty, impossible choice the next generation of cyclists were faced with: dope or give up your whole pro career, or any chance of success in it.

I empathize with Lemond's frustration with cheating in the pro ranks. What I find puzzling is his lack of empathy with the next generation of cyclists caught up in that web of crap. And it was a web that ensnared most who came near it, all the 'they should just have done the right thing' pontificating aside.

At the end of the day the real satisfaction belongs to Greg, because he is restored as America's true greatest cycling champion, and his long term persistent skepticism regarding Lance is confirmed.
Old 01-12-13, 08:10 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I find puzzling is his lack of empathy with the next generation of cyclists caught up in that web of crap.

We all make our choices. I have no sympathy for those "caught up" in the doping. They all knew it was wrong before, during, and after. They made a choice.
Old 01-12-13, 09:15 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by patentcad
Lemond could have played this whole thing a lot smarter and closer to the vest, and he'd still have his bicycle company. There's no income stream on the moral high ground.
In Lemond's place, what would you have done differently?
If no one speaks up, no one ever gets caught.
And you're faulting him for opting for the moral high ground over making even more money??

True, he lacks Armstrong cunning ruthlessness. And now the yellow bracelet brigade claim he must have been doping & lying too.
Old 01-12-13, 09:21 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
It's true, and I hear he was even worse during his racing days.
So you've ...thrown away your yellow bracelet, I take it?
Old 01-12-13, 10:46 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Lemond could have played this whole thing a lot smarter and closer to the vest, and he'd still have his bicycle company.
That's not entirely why he lost control of his brand but it may have added some nails to the coffin. From Wiki.

And if we're handing out vindication chits, the long line of those LA crushed along the way probably does start with Lemond.

Old 01-13-13, 01:09 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
So you've ...thrown away your yellow bracelet, I take it?
Never had one. I actually like LeMond, especially since his appearance on Phineas and Ferb -- much better than Armstrong's Dodgeball cameo.
Old 01-13-13, 02:26 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

What's a Fineas? And for that matter what's a Ferb?
Is this another one of those Adult Swim shows that comes on while the rest of us are drinkin', dancin', and f***in'?
Old 01-13-13, 06:06 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
In Lemond's place, what would you have done differently?
If no one speaks up, no one ever gets caught.
And you're faulting him for opting for the moral high ground over making even more money??

True, he lacks Armstrong cunning ruthlessness. And now the yellow bracelet brigade claim he must have been doping & lying too.
The truth will out. Sooner or later, it always does. It wasn't Greg's job to expose Armstrong, and I strongly feel Lemond didn't ultimately have much to do with Armstrong getting nailed in the end. It was inevitable. Once you learned how many people knew about this, were complicit in all of it; how could you ever keep that under wraps forever? It speaks to the stunning arrogance of Armstrong that he thought that was really possible.

I'm on Greg's side, but he didn't play it so smart on the business end. All he had to do was keep a lower profile and STFU while making his case behind the scenes. Not in his nature. Lemond is not a politician.
Old 01-13-13, 10:30 AM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
]
I blush at your kind compliment; and thanks Higherground.
I wouldn't trade my beloved Hot-Dog-on-a-Stick Badgerbike for every Trek ever made.

I love hotdogs, but Im stuck in Pune, India for a while eating curry

Old 01-13-13, 10:53 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
rich is back! get the antacids out!

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-13-13, 12:01 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's a Fineas? And for that matter what's a Ferb?
Is this another one of those Adult Swim shows that comes on while the rest of us are drinkin', dancin', and f***in'?
Quite the opposite. It's a kids show with enough humour for the parents who watch it with their kids. I have some friends who watch it on their own (early to mid-20s) because its funny. And it's not creepy having adults watch that one, unlike My Little Pony (which has a startling number of adult male fans called "Bronies").
Old 01-13-13, 12:01 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Lemond: Only American TDF winner.
Old 01-13-13, 09:30 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by coasting
rich is back! get the antacids out!
The funny thing is, I glanced through the post before checking who had written it. After about 2 or 3 pictures, I thought about RichinPeoria and wondered what he was up to. Well, there's the answer!
Old 01-13-13, 09:35 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from Road to Pro.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 01-14-13, 07:58 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
We all make our choices. I have no sympathy for those "caught up" in the doping. They all knew it was wrong before, during, and after. They made a choice.
It's real easy to throw stones from the outside as they ride by. When it's your shot at either doing something you love, or going back to a crap job, the decision is decidedly less clear.

Old 01-14-13, 12:36 PM
daveF

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr_max
Yeah that '89 finish, just epic.

Greg LeMond, the only American TdF winner NOT CAUGHT FOR DOPING.
Corrected. Read into what you may
Old 01-14-13, 06:04 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by daveF
Corrected. Read into what you may
That's brilliantly clever, except that Lemond is probably the only cyclist in history who was demanding increased doping controls WHILE HE WAS COMPETING AND WINNING.

The Dark Overlord of Butthurt smiles on at another bitterly crestfallen Lance Fanboi:

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-14-13 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-15-13, 05:06 PM
staplemachine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Wiki
"After nearly two years of litigation, in February 2010, LeMond reached an out-of-court settlement with Trek in their breach-of-contract dispute, the terms of which were confidential.
[SUP][106][/SUP] The settlement permitted the case to be dismissed with prejudice, meaning, "neither side can produce the same claims against one another in a future lawsuit."[SUP][107][/SUP] And although settlement terms were not disclosed, LeMond reportedly obtained full control over the LeMond Bicycles name, while Trek made a donation of $200,000USD to the 1in6.org charity, of which LeMond was a founding member of the board of directors"

luv that he made them donate to charity...very classy. Lemond is a human bieng like the rest of us. Not perfect and not always calculating with his comments. I cant help but like him. If he can produce and market a half decent bicycle in the next year it will sell well. if it has similar styling and colour patterns to his old bikes i will buy one in a heartbeat
Old 01-15-13, 07:07 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
I've never seen relish as green as that.

Originally Posted by RichinPeoria
]

I love hotdogs, but Im stuck in Pune, India for a while eating curry

Old 01-16-13, 11:59 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The other part of this that strikes me as hypocritical is the simple reality riders like Lemond and Hampsten had successful careers at the highest level in the 80s, and by the time EPO started to infiltrate the pro peloton in the early to mid 1990s, they could hang it up and go home. They were never 20-25 year old budding stars confronted with the nasty, impossible choice the next generation of cyclists were faced with: dope or give up your whole pro career, or any chance of success in it.

I empathize with Lemond's frustration with cheating in the pro ranks. What I find puzzling is his lack of empathy with the next generation of cyclists caught up in that web of crap. And it was a web that ensnared most who came near it, all the 'they should just have done the right thing' pontificating aside.

At the end of the day the real satisfaction belongs to Greg, because he is restored as America's true greatest cycling champion, and his long term persistent skepticism regarding Lance is confirmed.
The truth will out. Sooner or later, it always does. It wasn't Greg's job to expose Armstrong, and I strongly feel Lemond didn't ultimately have much to do with Armstrong getting nailed in the end. It was inevitable. Once you learned how many people knew about this, were complicit in all of it; how could you ever keep that under wraps forever? It speaks to the stunning arrogance of Armstrong that he thought that was really possible.

I'm on Greg's side, but he didn't play it so smart on the business end. All he had to do was keep a lower profile and STFU while making his case behind the scenes. Not in his nature. Lemond is not a politician.
This sounds about right to me. I like and admire LeMond very much. Maybe this is a clumsy way to put it and not meaning to question his intellect at all, but there's kind of an idot savant quality about him that is very appealing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.