Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tips on the removal of handlebar grips?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 03:38 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts

Bought a used Terry Classic for the wife several years ago but she thinks it's too big. I bought a Handsome Mixte frame that I want to build up for her as a hybrid. The Terry has Campy 8 speed components with Campy thumb-shifters on steel riser bars. I'd like to buy alloy bars and transfer the shifters to them but I don't know how to remove the grips. They seem to be hard plastic with a foam tube around them. They are kind of nice and in good shape so non-destructive removal would be cool but any suggestions would be helpful. I can take photos when I find my camera if that would be helpful.
Old 11-20-18, 04:05 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Compressed air blower underneath the edge of a grip, or in the hole in the end of the grip (plug the other with your free thumb).
Likes For wschruba:
Old 11-20-18, 04:05 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If available, I prefer to use compressed air. Poke the nozzle under one edge of a grip, give a blast and a twist and off it comes.
If that isn’t available I’ll work a spoke between grip and bar, squirt some water into the gap, twist a little and work it off.
Old 11-20-18, 04:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Compressors are not easy to come by.

Use a thin, long screwdriver and a bottle of spray cleanup fluid such as Fantastik. Pry the grip up a little and spray in as deeply as you can. Then move the screwdriver to the opposite side of the grip. Keep working the screwdriver in deeper so you can reach deeper with the spray. Eventually, you will lubricate the surfaces enough to be able to twist the grip off.

You can really use any liquid, even water. Oily things will take longer to dry, and some won't ever stop being slippery. Some claim that hairspray is best because it goes on slippery and turns to glue, but I have not found it to be better than water. Fantastik is really fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-18, 04:32 PM
cranky old road 

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Thanks guys. I do have a compressor and will give it a try. I'll try Tom's method if the air doesn't work. Can't try it tonight, the compressor and I will scare my wife's cats out of the garage.
Old 11-20-18, 04:42 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I always use some isopropyl alcohol. Poke a thin screwdriver, pour a bit, wait a few seconds and should come off easily. For tough installs I do the same.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 11-20-18, 04:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I have a Novara that has a hard plastic covered with what is now slime. I just tossed the bars aside as they didn't meet my needs. But, perhaps I'll play around with them later, although the "slime" is bad.

I think the problem with several of the methods suggested above is that they require space below the grips, which the hard plastic prevents. Shoving in a screwdriver would be more likely to crack the plastic.

The alcohol might help.
Old 11-20-18, 05:03 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

Use a thin, long screwdriver and a bottle of spray cleanup fluid such as Fantastik. Pry the grip up a little and spray in as deeply as you can. Then move the screwdriver to the opposite side of the grip. Keep working the screwdriver in deeper so you can reach deeper with the spray. Eventually, you will lubricate the surfaces enough to be able to twist the grip off.

You can really use any liquid, even water. Oily things will take longer to dry, and some won't ever stop being slippery. Some claim that hairspray is best because it goes on slippery and turns to glue, but I have not found it to be better than water. Fantastik is really fine.
This is the method I always use works good, even faster if you can lean bike over so fluid runs down into the grips. I usually use alcohol but other liquids work as well.

Last edited by Baboo; 11-20-18 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-20-18, 07:50 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Unnecessary. Just use a can of compressed air.

Old 11-20-18, 08:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I find those to be so wasteful and expensive for what they are. For dusting out computers, I got a plug-in blower.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-18, 09:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts

This! My co workers like compressed air but I think it's because they can make noise with it. I slide a 2mm hex wrench shaft under the grip and spray Clean Streak. Andy
Old 11-20-18, 09:27 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I slide a 2mm hex wrench shaft under the grip and spray Clean Streak. Andy
The hex wrench is a great idea. Trying that next time.
Old 11-20-18, 11:39 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
Thanks guys. I do have a compressor and will give it a try. I'll try Tom's method if the air doesn't work. Can't try it tonight, the compressor and I will scare my wife's cats out of the garage.
Compressed air works great. BITD, we'd remove BMX grips by sticking an inflation needle in one grip and pressurizing the handlebar. The opposite grip would blow off, usually at high speed. Teenage bike shop antics...

Good to know you're nice to cats.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-21-18, 12:14 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
The hex wrench is a great idea. Trying that next time.
I was just thinking that exact thing: great idea. Less likely than a bladed screwdriver to gouge the inside of the grip. I'm trying the hex wrench next time.
Old 11-21-18, 10:11 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Hard plastic grips may come off with some heat from a hairdryer or pour boiling water over them. Heat also helps to soften up most adhesives.
Old 11-21-18, 07:49 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
hex wrench and window cleaner. It has many uses in the shop.
Old 11-21-18, 08:04 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
If you use compressed air, make sure you wear eye protection. I've had old grips explode with bits of plastic shrapnel flying through the air.
Old 11-21-18, 08:25 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Hard plastic grips may come off with some heat from a hairdryer or pour boiling water over them. Heat also helps to soften up most adhesives.
When I replace motorcycle handlebars, I just dip the left one into a glass of boiling water for a few minutes to soften it up, then pull it off by hand.
(The righthand grip unbolts with the throttle mechanism.)
Old 11-21-18, 09:24 PM
cranky old road 

Tried drilling a hole in the end of one grip and then putting 100 psi through it with no movement. Then was able to get the grips to rotate after injecting first alcohol and then silicone spray under them using a very small screwdriver. Still couldn't pull them off until I put the air nozzle back on and blew the opposite grip across the garage. I used a washer to block the now open end of the bars and put the air nozzle in the washer's center. The second grip came off after repeated air and rotation by hand. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had considered using heat prior to reading those suggestions, but didn't follow through: no hair dryer and concern that boiling water would ruin the foam.
Old 11-23-18, 05:48 PM
DimplePimple

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Multiple plastic zip-ties works good too.
Old 11-24-18, 12:16 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Tried drilling a hole in the end of one grip and then putting 100 psi through it with no movement. Then was able to get the grips to rotate after injecting first alcohol and then silicone spray under them using a very small screwdriver. Still couldn't pull them off until I put the air nozzle back on and blew the opposite grip across the garage. I used a washer to block the now open end of the bars and put the air nozzle in the washer's center. The second grip came off after repeated air and rotation by hand. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had considered using heat prior to reading those suggestions, but didn't follow through: no hair dryer and concern that boiling water would ruin the foam.
If you've used silicone on the grips, I would throw them away. There's no way you'll get them to stay on handlebars now. In fact, you should clean the handlebars thoroughly with alcohol so grips will stay put afterwards. Having a grip come off while riding is not a good thing at all.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-24-18, 05:08 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by DimplePimple
Multiple plastic zip-ties works good too.

Old 11-24-18, 05:12 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I never had to resort to using air but decided yesterday to try it on some extraordinary stuck grips that I wanted to salvage off a junker bike so I tried my 3 gal 100 psi compressor.

The grip flew so far I had trouble finding it

I'll never struggle again, thanks

Old 11-24-18, 07:06 AM
cranky old road 

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
If you've used silicone on the grips, I would throw them away. There's no way you'll get them to stay on handlebars now. In fact, you should clean the handlebars thoroughly with alcohol so grips will stay put afterwards. Having a grip come off while riding is not a good thing at all.
Thanks. I never intended to reuse the steel handlebars. The alcohol and 100 psi didn't get me anywhere, so I used the silicone judiciously hoping it wouldn't penetrate far under the grips and that I might be able to re-use them after some cleaning. I'll proceed with extreme caution.