Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

105's And Cross Chaining

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

105's And Cross Chaining

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 01:46 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I've still been trying to get the right balance for this and one thing I have noticed with the trim ... if the cable is slacker I get a lot of movement between the 2 trim positions on the small chainring and virtually none on the large and if I tighten up the cable I get the reverse.

Anybody any ideas on this ... I guess it's just finding a happy medium of some movement on both??
What matters here (ok, it doesn't really matter but you know what I mean) is the chain rubbing on the derailleur. If using the trim position doesn't get you at least one more quiet gear combination then you are doing something wrong.

Please, before spending any more time on this, verify that you have your shift cable attached to the derailleur properly (see PDF below).

Second, if you haven't already, install an inline cable adjuster.

Third, lubricate the derailleur's pivot points and ensure if it moving fully between the two stop screws.

Fourth, start from the beginning following Shimano's adjustment procedure: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RAFD001-02-ENG.pdf

Report back once you've done all that and tell us how great your bike shifts and how quietly it operates in all gear combos
Old 12-19-18, 02:06 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
What matters here (ok, it doesn't really matter but you know what I mean) is the chain rubbing on the derailleur. If using the trim position doesn't get you at least one more quiet gear combination then you are doing something wrong.

Please, before spending any more time on this, verify that you have your shift cable attached to the derailleur properly (see PDF below).

Second, if you haven't already, install an inline cable adjuster.

Third, lubricate the derailleur's pivot points and ensure if it moving fully between the two stop screws.

Fourth, start from the beginning following Shimano's adjustment procedure: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RAFD001-02-ENG.pdf

Report back once you've done all that and tell us how great your bike shifts and how quietly it operates in all gear combos
Literally I've done all of this ..... including strangely enough oiling the pivot's in case it was that a few days ago and there was already an inline cable adjuster .... that's what I was using to adjust the cable when I noticed you only seem to be able to set it up so the trim works fully on either of the chainrings but not both.

I think I may just take it in somewhere as there's obviously something just not 100% with it ... alternatively run if for another few weeks as is and take it in for it's from new service.
Old 12-19-18, 02:12 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I've still been trying to get the right balance for this and one thing I have noticed with the trim ... if the cable is slacker I get a lot of movement between the 2 trim positions on the small chainring and virtually none on the large and if I tighten up the cable I get the reverse.

Anybody any ideas on this ... I guess it's just finding a happy medium of some movement on both??
I took advantage of some nice weather this past weekend and road my 105 5800-equipped bike for the first time since seeing this thread. Could I get my chain to rub on anything by cross-chaining? I tried the biggest extremes on both front chainrings, and I couldn't manage to get any rubbing regardless of what I did. Did I just get lucky when setting this up? Er, I mean, are my skills just that good?

I am running a 50/39 front and 11-28t rear cassette. Is it possible that this combination makes a difference?

Another thought is that you might check your rear derailleur hanger alignment and your front derailleur position. Maybe even chain length. All of it affects the position of the chain in relation to the derailleurs.

Last edited by HarborBandS; 12-19-18 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 04:42 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I think what pees me off about it most is I didn't realise there was the trim and I also didn't know it was recommended NOT to use the 3 smallest rings on the cassette when on the small chainring so I started messing with it thinking it wasn't set up right and so knowing the shop I bought it from are very professional it's probably me that's totally buggered it up

Hopefully I'll learn from the mistake