Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a former Pro bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying a former Pro bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 10:40 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Buying a former Pro bike

So I just finished the book Draft Animals and was really kinda shocked how professionals are treated with bikes and gear. Honestly the whole pro career lifestyle was pretty eye opening frankly, but I digress.

One thing the author mentioned was selling a lot of his stuff at the end of a season or if he changed contracts etc.

Has anyone on here bought a former pro bike? Did you seek it out? Did you stumble on it?

Honestly just want to hear your stories/experiences.
Old 07-17-19, 10:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Funny that you mention this in light of Draft Animals.

A few years ago, I went to a local place that sold a mix of new overstock and used pro gear (they have since been bought/consolidated). One piece in particular stuck out - a Diamondback Podium frame with cookies all over it. I asked about it and was told, "yeah, this was Phil Gaimon's bike." At the time, I knew his name, but that's about it - this was before he had much of a social media presence. Looking back now, I regret that I didn't pick it up, but I didn't know what I didn't know... ya know?
Old 07-17-19, 11:02 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
https://www.theproscloset.com/
Old 07-17-19, 11:09 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I've seen a handful of pro-ridden bikes go through there, but the vast majority seem to be just pre-owned by Schmoes.
Old 07-17-19, 11:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I don't know if pros drop bikes more than joes, but consider how many times it's been disassembled and reassembled to fit into a travel carrier. That means messing with screws on the stem, possibly undoing one side of the crank, the RD, sliding the seat down. Most seats on nice bikes these days are funky pressure clamp things that likely should be set and forgotten instead of frequently messed with.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. They're usually pretty overpriced rigs for what they are and often pretty darn personalized (think 140mm stems).

If you want a cool pro-like paint job on your bike......have your bike painted the way you like.

Unless the history or nostalgia of the rig tickles your fancy, then by all means do it.

They'd probably strip it of the good stuff, but I'd most be interested in a TT bike that has some kind of cool cockpit mods that you don't get "off the rack" at a reasonable price since they're one-off until they sell a few the next year to meet the "rules".
Old 07-17-19, 11:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've seen a handful of pro-ridden bikes go through there, but the vast majority seem to be just pre-owned by Schmoes.
Oh, I agree but they are pretty up front about whether any given bike was ridden by a pro and even give the riders team and name.

The OP asked, "Did you seek it out? Did you stumble on it?" and that was my answer. Former pro team bikes can be found there if one wants to seek them out.

-Tim-
Old 07-17-19, 03:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
They are selling a 2018 CAAD12 w/105 for $2200. Just bought my 2018 CAAD 12 w/105 (New) for $1300.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-17-19, 05:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
They are selling a 2018 CAAD12 w/105 for $2200. Just bought my 2018 CAAD 12 w/105 (New) for $1300.

But are there cookies on it?
Old 07-17-19, 05:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've had the opportunity to buy one. They're ridden hard, but they get a lot of attention from team mechanics. I really wanted to buy one of the TT bikes, but I couldn't justify it.
Old 07-17-19, 07:17 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
At some point, team jelly belly was based out of san diego and I used to get offered some deals on their old equipment. But I never took them up on it.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-17-19, 08:34 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’m too lazy to go there now but I remember a while back goofing around in the team Sky website and finding a spot to buy personal used bikes and such. Maybe that still exists amongst the websites of other pro teams...
Old 07-17-19, 10:03 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I’m too lazy to go there now but I remember a while back goofing around in the team Sky website and finding a spot to buy personal used bikes and such. Maybe that still exists amongst the websites of other pro teams...

Its been a while but a lbs here had a connection and was selling garmin team bikes. They were crazy spendy I thought but if a legit team bike in good working order from bora or barhan or astania ever became available I would jump at the chance.
Old 07-18-19, 10:13 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I don't have any former pro bikes that I know of except for maybe the Martelly built Ribble bike. But I do have three bikes that were owned by Pro's, LOL!

The first is the custom GP&GS Lemond that Greg Lemond had done himself and presented to Tim Swift formerly of Team Saturn. I don't know if Tim ever raced the bike or not.

It looks like the one in this picture, just bigger.

Then there's the custom Evans bike that belonged to three times RAAM champion Bob Fourney. This was built for a mid 90's Paris-Brest-Paris event.

Finally, the real "stretch" on the OP's theme is my Giordana Polaris. This was the personal bike of Justin England of Team Toyota 1994-1995 and now working at the above mention The Pro's Closet. Bought this from him personally, not the business and he gave me a great deal.

So...there you have it, my answer. Now in all seriousness to answer directly. I certainly would if I could afford it just because it would be very cool to me. The above bikes I just sorta stumbled onto.
Old 07-18-19, 10:23 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Wow. Those are gorgeous.
Old 07-18-19, 11:09 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Funny that you mention this in light of Draft Animals.

A few years ago, I went to a local place that sold a mix of new overstock and used pro gear (they have since been bought/consolidated). One piece in particular stuck out - a Diamondback Podium frame with cookies all over it. I asked about it and was told, "yeah, this was Phil Gaimon's bike." At the time, I knew his name, but that's about it - this was before he had much of a social media presence. Looking back now, I regret that I didn't pick it up, but I didn't know what I didn't know... ya know?
I am pretty sure there is a picture of that bike in the book. I remember thinking, oh wow a DiamondBack, don’t see many of those around here.
Old 07-18-19, 01:17 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've had the opportunity to buy one. They're ridden hard, but they get a lot of attention from team mechanics. I really wanted to buy one of the TT bikes, but I couldn't justify it.
If I were buying a used pro bike, it would be a TT bike.
I just remembered, my first carbon framed bike was a Saturn team bike. It was a Kestrel with 8 speed on it. I bought it off a disgruntled rider (He wasn’t supposed to have sold it)

Last edited by colnago62; 07-18-19 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-18-19, 06:37 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by voyager1
I am pretty sure there is a picture of that bike in the book. I remember thinking, oh wow a DiamondBack, don’t see many of those around here.
You're trying to make me feel worse about not buying it, aren't you?