Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help Choosing the Right Bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 10:39 AM
thesteeze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

New member here!

So, I am in the market for a new bike. I purchased a fixie about 6 months ago that I have been commuting to work with. The bike has been great, but it definitely doesn't fit my riding style. I come from a heavy BMX and Moto background, so I tend to be a bit aggressive on the bike. I have been averaging ~2 pinch flats a month, and have already bent both my rims from getting a bit too sendy on my $500 fixie.

I am not looking for a full-fledged mountain bike, that seems a bit overkill for my use case. What I am looking for is something I can comfortably ride 3-4 miles a day on and be able to get aggressive on. I don't want to have to worry about jumping off curbs, riding over curbs at high speeds, or riding through dirt and small rocks. My budget ceiling for the bike is $3000 with some wiggle room.

I am open to all suggestions!

Thank you!
Old 10-10-19, 05:53 PM
sheaffer

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not look at Trek Marlin 7 or Trek X-Caliber 7 ($900 to $1200 range)? Full blown mountain bikes will be slow in the city.
Old 10-13-19, 02:14 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Since you know you need a bike that can take aggressive riding, it might be worth looking into what Craigslist has to offer. You might find the right type of bikes there for a lot less than new. And they also list bike parts as well as a separate entry. It sounds like what you're after is a non suspended older mountain bike. They're out there and you can find them in great shape too.
Old 10-13-19, 02:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by thesteeze
Hello All,

New member here!

So, I am in the market for a new bike. I purchased a fixie about 6 months ago that I have been commuting to work with. The bike has been great, but it definitely doesn't fit my riding style. I come from a heavy BMX and Moto background, so I tend to be a bit aggressive on the bike. I have been averaging ~2 pinch flats a month, and have already bent both my rims from getting a bit too sendy on my $500 fixie.

I am not looking for a full-fledged mountain bike, that seems a bit overkill for my use case. What I am looking for is something I can comfortably ride 3-4 miles a day on and be able to get aggressive on. I don't want to have to worry about jumping off curbs, riding over curbs at high speeds, or riding through dirt and small rocks. My budget ceiling for the bike is $3000 with some wiggle room.

I am open to all suggestions!

Thank you!
I think you would enjoy Surly Lowside or maybe Surly Troll...I think one of those two bikes would fit your riding style perfectly.
Old 10-14-19, 02:28 PM
thesteeze

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think you would enjoy Surly Lowside or maybe Surly Troll...I think one of those two bikes would fit your riding style perfectly.
Dude Yes!! These are sick!! Thank you