Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Suggestion

Old 10-20-19, 02:48 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Suggestion

Hello all,

I access Bike Forums regularly and I thank you for all of the work you do.

I believe that it's time to create a new forum; BIKEPACKING. Whether it's a stand alone forum (preferred) or a sub-section of the TOURING forum, it is certainly appropriate. The bags, packing lists/equipment, terrain and bikes are certainly different from 'typical' touring adventures.

Thank you for your consideration regarding this matter.

Mike
Old 10-20-19, 06:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I toured including a cross country ride in the 70's and 80's, and I currently use an Arkel seatpack bikepacking bag on my carbon fiber road bike for long rides as well as commuting (but not bikepacking).

FYA I found this post an informative discussion of the differences:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
...Note on nomenclature: “Bikepacking” and “touring” are usually 2 different things. Bikepacking started (and still is for the most part) as a way to ride off-road in remote locations. The gear is meant to take advantage of mountain bikes geometry and keep the gear close to the bike so that it can be ridden on narrow or rough trails. It’s meant to be more spartan than bicycle touring. It also carries the load higher on the bike which has an effect on the handling. This is typical of off-road bikepacking bikes and roads

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Bicycle touring often carries more gear or carries it differently and is usually done on paved roads or at least roads that are in better shape. Because the routes are better, the gear can be carried lower on the bike which makes for a more stable ride. This is my touring bike with a load

2015-04-23 06.25.21 by Stuart Black, on Flickr