Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would you set up a fixed gear cruiser for winter?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 10:06 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

I've been trying to figure out how to keep riding in the winter and none of the bike I have seem to be ideal and I want to try to set one up better.

The one I enjoy riding the most and that is technically "mine" is a Schwinn DelMar that is just a cheap cruiser. My rides are only 2 miles and the purpose is just for relaxation and exercise. But I would like for the weather to not deter me. There are many winters we don't get a lot of snow and roads typically might have snow on them a few days after a storm and then it typically goes away. They use so much salt everywhere around here and the snows have been intermittent. Now sometimes we do have winters with lots of snow and there is more snow on the roads that doesn't always go away but that is not usually the norm.

I think I'm settled on getting some knobbies for whatever bike I ride but my main concern is the gear inches. My bike is at about 63-64 gear inches right now and even in the nice weather it seems like I could be happier with lower gearing. I pretty much stick to the flatter roads cuz of the gearing. So I'm thinking I might want to get a different rear rim with a bigger sprocket or try one of those coaster braked multi gear deals.

Anyone ever do this?

I'm not sure if I can post a vid but if I can you can see me trying to do a bunny hop on that bike. After that I watched youtbue vids and realize my technique leaves a lot to be desired. LOL. I'm a total novice for tricks.

Alright, it's not letting me upload vids. And the picture doesn't show my back tire off the ground but I promise you I got a few inches of air. LOL It's a start. I need a good BMX bike.

Anyways..... that's my bike I'm thinking of setting up for winter riding.

Old 10-21-19, 02:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I can think of worse choices! Nokian/Suomi makes really good snow tires in 26" size. They're expensive upfront, but last through many seasons of riding.

I haven't tried to upload a video directly to BF, but if you host it on imgur or some other service, you can embed that here.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-23-19, 04:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
That's not a fixed gear bike, it's a coaster brake bike. And they're both good choices for winter riding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-24-19, 10:56 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Ah, thank you for the correction. I'm a newb and I'm not sure why I got that mixed up. I'll have to google what a fixed gear bike is.

I have a feeling my bike is just fine the way it is. I'm not even sure the tires are all that bad for most winter conditions other than the snowiest.....

Only problem is the cruiser tires I have on my cruiser are over 5 years old and I'm thinking new ones MIGHT be more grippy. I forget when my wife bought that bike. Also... I would prefer a bit lower gearing. In the wind mine gets kind of..... difficult. It's at 63 gear inches and I think I'd like it closer to 55 or so. Not sure what the cheapest way to do that is. Other than find a rear rim with a bigger gear and possibly change my tires out. That might make it better for winter......