Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Replace FSA Gossamer with Shimano 105 crankset?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 10-21-19, 02:31 PM
genrlz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

The frame has a BB386 bottom bracket and a FSA gossamer crankset. I'm looking to change to shorter crank arms and slightly bigger gears. The rest of the drivetrain is Shimano 105. I'm thinking of switching the crankset to Shimano 105. I understand there are required adapters to run Shimano cranks on a BB386 frame.

Any opinion? I have a higher opinion of the Shimano 105 than the FSA and am wanting to switch sizes anyway.

Thank you.
Old 10-22-19, 05:38 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I made a similar swap for my wife’s tri bike (Cervelo P2) because she wanted to go to shorter cranks. The new 105 is the most cost effective quality set of 165’s I could find, but it required changing out the bottom bracket and an adaptor. I had a bike shop do it though.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 10-23-19, 12:12 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by genrlz
Hello,

The frame has a BB386 bottom bracket and a FSA gossamer crankset. I'm looking to change to shorter crank arms and slightly bigger gears. The rest of the drivetrain is Shimano 105. I'm thinking of switching the crankset to Shimano 105. I understand there are required adapters to run Shimano cranks on a BB386 frame.

Any opinion? I have a higher opinion of the Shimano 105 than the FSA and am wanting to switch sizes anyway.

Thank you.
Pretty easy to swap the cranks for the 105 and use the appropriate Shimano bottom bracket for your frame. If you're not sure what to get bring your bike to a local shop.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 10-25-19, 05:57 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Press out the old BB screw this one in.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb386evo.html
Likes For wsteve464:
Old 10-25-19, 06:32 PM
genrlz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Press out the old BB screw this one in.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb386evo.html

Sweet! Thank you!
Old 10-26-19, 03:56 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I had a similar FSA crank on my 2007 Tricross Comp. After wearing out some chain rings I decided to put a 105 crank on instead of replacing the rings. While it was satisfying to have all Shimano drivetrain (and I think it looked a bit better), it made zero difference in the performance of the bike. I didn't change the length of the cranks.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 10-27-19, 11:40 AM
genrlz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billyymc
I had a similar FSA crank on my 2007 Tricross Comp. After wearing out some chain rings I decided to put a 105 crank on instead of replacing the rings. While it was satisfying to have all Shimano drivetrain (and I think it looked a bit better), it made zero difference in the performance of the bike. I didn't change the length of the cranks.
Thank you!
Old 10-27-19, 03:22 PM
drewtk

Originally Posted by billyymc
Not surprising. I made the change to Shimano because I wanted to shorten my cranks with a 105 set.

I’m in the process of building up a Specialized Allez Sprint and wanted to make the same change. I used the threaded Shimano adaptor shown above, and it was a pretty easy job. You need a specialty tool to push out the BB30 bottom bracket bearings; and then a bottom bracket wrench to screw together the new Shimano bearing sleeve. Pretty easy job.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 10-27-19, 04:44 PM
genrlz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drewtk
Not surprising. I made the change to Shimano because I wanted to shorten my cranks with a 105 set.

I’m in the process of building up a Specialized Allez Sprint and wanted to make the same change. I used the threaded Shimano adaptor shown above, and it was a pretty easy job. You need a specialty tool to push out the BB30 bottom bracket bearings; and then a bottom bracket wrench to screw together the new Shimano bearing sleeve. Pretty easy job.

So, was it worth it? I thought that link above was for a conversion bottom bracket, not an adapter? I thought the adapters were just little pieces and you still used the BB386 bottom bracket? Thanks
Old 10-27-19, 06:20 PM
drewtk

Originally Posted by genrlz
So, was it worth it? I thought that link above was for a conversion bottom bracket, not an adapter? I thought the adapters were just little pieces and you still used the BB386 bottom bracket? Thanks
I didn’t use adaptors for the existing bearings. That’s the easiest solution but I’ve heard they can creak. I removed the existing bearings and used a conversion bottom bracket.

Was it worth it? Well, I got to install the Shimano cranks I wanted. But I’m still in the process of building the bike so I have yet to do a single pedal on the bike.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 10-27-19, 06:22 PM
genrlz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drewtk
I didn’t use adaptors for the existing bearings. That’s the easiest solution but I’ve heard they can creak. I removed the existing bearings and used a conversion bottom bracket.

Was it worth it? Well, I got to install the Shimano cranks I wanted. But I’m still in the process of building the bike so I have yet to do a single pedal on the bike.
Got it, thanks. Yeah, I'm leery of using adapters. It seems that the conversion bottom bracket is much better, but also more expensive. It's probably worth it though. Thank you