Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano Dura Ace First Generation Triple Cranks-Spindel Length?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 07:27 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

While awaiting the arrival of these First Generation Dura Ace triple cranks I wondered if anyone knows/has experience with the spindle length needed for them?

Or, is this a wait until they arrive and then measure what is needed?

If the latter what should I measure in order to get the right sized spindle?

My thanks for your advice.

Take Care.
Old 10-23-19, 08:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
That would appear to be a nicely executed owner modification. First generation Dura-Ace cranks were produced from 1972 to 1980. I've got all but two of the catalogues and I've never seen a triple listed. The standard double spindle was 112mm but it was asymmetrical with the drive side being 3mm longer. My starting point for a modern, symmetrical, sealed cartidge BB would probably be 122mm. You might be able to get by with 117mm, if the drive side chainstay is heavily crimped. In the end, there will probably be some trial and error.
Old 10-23-19, 12:27 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
My rules of thumb for triple to double or double to triple is 10mm if you're working with 43.5/45 chainlines. If you can get a cartridge with the fixed cup on the drive side, you can easily put a BB shim in there to move the spindle over.
Old 10-23-19, 03:09 PM
since6

Thanks T-Mar and Kuromori.

I had wondered about the triple but thought as there was a lot of imitation of Colnago by Shimano during this time period, and I've seen rare Record triple cranks that in design are very similar to this, that perhaps such existed. But missing from catalogs.

Should I be concerned about risk of failure due to missing crank arm material due to drilling of crank arm?

Though I seem to recall such was the same for the similar Campagmolo Record triples.

Your thoughts are welcome.

I'll post detailed pictures disassembled after it arrives.

Last edited by since6; 10-23-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-23-19, 04:16 PM
since6

Here are pictures of the Campagnolo triple crankset I referenced to in my post above which is of similar design, time period (?) to the Shimano Dura Ace triple crank set I have coming in the mail. By the way this set is on sale at Ebay for any looking for same.

It would seem that given the similarity of design, though Campagnolo only has a drill hole through the outside of the crank arm, while the Shimano Dura Ace arm I have coming has the bolt hole and what appears to have been a machined recess for the bolt to set down into (will only really know after it arrives), that durability should be comparable?

Anyone else with anything similar to the above Shimano Dura Ace triple? What has your experience been?

Again my thanks.
Old 10-23-19, 04:29 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by since6

Here are pictures of the Campagnolo triple crankset I referenced to in my post above which is of similar design, time period (?) to the Shimano Dura Ace triple crank set I have coming in the mail.
That Campagnolo triple, like your Dura-Ace, is not a factory drilled triple, but an end-user modification (albeit nicely done in each case).

The spider flutes on the factory drilled Campagnolo triples ended short of the mounting holes, while on the end-user modified triples, the mounting holes land in the flutes. Here is a picture of a factory-drilled Campagnolo triple crank:

I'm not aware that the 1st generation Dura-Ace crank was ever offered as a factory-drilled triple.
Old 10-23-19, 04:38 PM
since6

Learning a lot today, thanks all.

Do any members have end user modified triple cranks similar to either Dura Ace or Record cranks shown in my pictures

How have they held up?

Any issues in use?
Old 10-23-19, 05:02 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
I've been happy to use 'tripleizer' middle rings and call it good.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-23-19, 06:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Learning a lot today, thanks all.

Do any members have end user modified triple cranks similar to either Dura Ace or Record cranks shown in my pictures

How have they held up?

Any issues in use?
Never seen or heard of any "homebrew" versions failing, seen many, many Campy's done, some poorly and still no failures, can't imagine the Shimano's would be any different, full speed ahead IMO.

Merz drilled plenty of later Shimano's for triples and probably many others, don't think he gave it a second thought given he did a lot of them.

Bob Freeman still drills many for this, not sure which ones he will or won't use.

I have 2 done by Merz, lots of miles on both. The MTB also has the pedal adapters he made, no flats so not coming out without a fight. He seemed to be fond of the AX/DX crank for this mod as he was in on the ground floor when Shimano had him build a show bike for it when it came out.

Old 10-23-19, 07:34 PM
since6

Thanks Merziac and Top 506, you echo what my builder friend said that these when done right have proven to be reliable and he had not heard of one failing. He too mentioned Bob Freeman's work.

I want to use this set of cranks and chain rings because I am trying to complete a first generation Dura Ace build on a bike and with this crank set and set of chain rings I will be down to looking for at a set of Dura Ace brakes/brake levers.

Biggest issue with the first generation Dura Ace brakes on my other vintage bikes is the use of a metal brake adjustment wheel, as opposed to the rubber O-ring wheel, my vintage bikes with the metal brake adjustment wheel all have the right side top tube missing paint from being whacked by this metal part. There is one Superbe part, front derailleur, so I could look at the Superbe Pro hidden spring brakes, I have a set on my Erba and they are really nice, but then would break up the component build.
Old 10-23-19, 08:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Thanks Merziac and Top 506, you echo what my builder friend said that these when done right have proven to be reliable and he had not heard of one failing. He too mentioned Bob Freeman's work.

I want to use this set of cranks and chain rings because I am trying to complete a first generation Dura Ace build on a bike and with this crank set and set of chain rings I will be down to looking for at a set of Dura Ace brakes/brake levers.

Biggest issue with the first generation Dura Ace brakes on my other vintage bikes is the use of a metal brake adjustment wheel, as opposed to the rubber O-ring wheel, my vintage bikes with the metal brake adjustment wheel all have the right side top tube missing paint from being whacked by this metal part. There is one Superbe part, front derailleur, so I could look at the Superbe Pro hidden spring brakes, I have a set on my Erba and they are really nice, but then would break up the component build.
You're welcome, I'm sure Bob would be happy to weigh in, great guy and resource for anything.

I would try to attach a small band of adhesive heat shrink tubing to the adjuster to help protect the frame or a small clear bumper like for cabinets, maybe a small clear cable rub patch double thick, maybe.
Old 10-24-19, 08:38 AM
since6

Well the last part fell in place. Picked these up to finish the Dura Ace build, but with a couple twists to original parts left.

Frame is at the paint shop getting one rust spot dealt with and touching up the lug insert colors, then all will be left as is and clear coated. I liked the patina on these brakes/levers as they will fit in with all the existing parts on this 1976-77 bike build.

Will post when all is done.

Thanks all. The spindle hunt begins once the triple crank arrives.