Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 08-01-19, 11:21 AM
iflyskyhigh

Bikes: 2002 Serotta Legend Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, thanks for the introduction.

Tried to put a pic of the bike in, but it wouldn't let me till I have 10 posts.

Yes my Serotta is effectively a 63cm with a very traditional geometry. I built it when I was working at a bike shop while going through flight school back in the early 2000's. It's a Ti frame with carbon seat stays and fork.

I love the bike and will never get rid of it no matter what I do. It doesn't have the 53/39 on it anymore. I went with a Chorus 11 speed (which works fine with 10 speed by the way) 50/34 years ago. I sold the 53/39 record chainring, but now wish I'd have kept it so I'd have the set. For what I have no idea.

I do all my own wrenching, except for wheels. I don't have the tools needed, but may at some point.

I originally had mavic ksyrium sl's that lasted from when I put them on in 2002 till about 3-4 years ago. They were rebuilt a couple times, but where amazing wheels. 3-4 years ago I had a buddy build me some wheels with h plus son archetype rims and DT Swiss 350 hubs. They have been great wheels so far.

I think what I'm going to do for now is put a Chorus 12 speed group set on, along with a new bar and stem (still riding the original ITM bar and stem). I put a Selle SMP saddle on a couple months ago and love it. And with the relatively new wheels, it should be good for another 20 years.

Maybe I'll gave a new bike in the next few years to see what all the fuss is about.
Likes For iflyskyhigh:
Old 08-03-19, 05:36 PM
dk63

Bikes: 2019 Specialized roll sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dk63 I'm new

Hello, I will be turning 63 this Sunday. I stand 5 foot 10 inches tall 330 pounds
I have not been on a petal bike since 1984; last bike was a 15 speed japan made racer that I rode while in Korea.
My question is more or less any recommendations on type or style of bikes.
Being short fat and bald has it set backs but even that can change.
Old 08-20-19, 03:26 PM
Halloween Jack

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't remember if I did this when I joined, whenever that was, but here we go: 6'1/2", 280 lb. or thereabouts. I ride a twenty-year-old Specialized Crossroads city bike and a Nashbar no-name road bike, and have completed five RAGBRAIs, plus over half of two more, and a few centuries, plus the usual just farting around on the bike. (A local bike group has an annual ride called Tour de Taco that's a lot of fun.) Gets me out of the house and helps deal with the 'beetus.
Old 08-20-19, 07:12 PM
dk63

Bikes: 2019 Specialized roll sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice meeting you Halloween Jack
Tour de Taco sounds good to me, after I get my wheel bearings straighten out and my leg strength up to speed, finding a ride group will be next on the list. So far so good I'm doing about 4 - 5 mile jots in the morning. Still working tune my bike a little more, still working on bar positioning I'm getting pain in my right thumb and palm area most likely artritise but what can I say I'am 63
Stay two up and safe
dk63
Old 12-02-19, 08:54 PM
Farcry99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My name is Andrew Smith, 5'9", 207 lbs. Did a lot of riding this past spring including a few over rides over 100k, all while above 200 lbs. Riding tapered off in the summer as it gets too hot for me and soccer season takes up my time. Trying to train now to do a 75k Gravel Race this coming spring, would like to get down to 190 or so by the end of April. Train-up and weight-down. I am a sprinter by build, mesomorph if you will - played football in highschool type, always played sports, but definitely have packed on a few lbs the past 1-2 years, mostly due to lack of time to train due to family and work and other priorities. Anyways, when I stepped on the scale in Sept and was up 210 I said something has to give.

Riding a 2014 Trek Madone 2.1, Shimano 105, Bontrager - great ride for the price and great value, got it barely used for $700 CAD several years ago. My Gravel bike is a Giant Anyroad Comax (2017), Shimano 105, Carbon composite frame, a good bike for the gravel roads on the outskirts of my City.

Last edited by Farcry99; 12-03-19 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-03-19, 08:42 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
My name is Chad - you probably couldn't guess that from my user name - and I'm a clyde. Right now I'm about 275 pounds. I grew up racing BMX and playing hockey. I played hockey for almost 30 years until injuries and life commitments made me hang up my skates. I started mountain biking in I think 2002. An old hockey injury to my shoulder meant that I couldn't do much on the trails. Just too painful going over roots, rocks, off small drops, etc. Even with full suspension. When I met my wife her father was pretty big into road riding and suggested I give it a try. My first ride was about 12 miles and I walked part of it. He had a Specialized Allez he was selling so I bought it from him. Within a year we were doing metric centuries together. I rode pretty regularly up until about 2014 when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. When that happened I pretty much stopped doing everything else besides working and taking care of her and our son. Now that she has beaten it I'm getting back to riding. 2019 was my first full year back.I don't know how many miles I did total, but I did do several 50 and 60 mile rides and did my first century. For 2020 I have 3 centuries planned, several metrics, and I'm doing the bike portion of a half ironman triathlon. I'd love to get under 200 pounds but I don't know if that will happen. At the peak of my hockey career I was 220.

Riding a 2008 Specialized Tarmac right now, and have a couple other Allez and a couple Tricross as well.
Old 12-25-19, 08:27 PM
Robalero

Bikes: Electra Townee 7D, TREK Domane 4, Checkpoint ALR 5, Marin Gestalt

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 185 Posts
From 390 to 210

Hello to everyone, my name is J.J. and I am 63 years old. When I was in college I used to bike all the time and then life just happened, work, work, work, kids, kids, kids, etc. etc. etc. Well, my extremely bad eating habits and my lifestyle allowed me to balloon up to almost four hundred pounds when I retired at 59. While, technically, blood pressure, sugar, cholesterol and the rest of my blood work I was "healthy" Dr. told me because of my weight, I really was NOT! He told me to give up some things (mostly white food; potatoes, sugar, bread, pasta, rice, tortillas etc.) and I went ahead and proceeded to give up potatoes first, then bread etc. It took me a year and a half to lose a hundred pounds and as remarkable as that was I wanted more so I began riding a bicycle. It was tough at first, but I got into it, and began riding every day, first a couple of miles, then moved up to five miles in a couple of months, by half a year I was at ten miles and now I ride twenty miles a day. Have been cycling seriously now for three years. I currently weigh 210 pounds, my health is outstanding, my resting heartrate is 48, my blood pressure is still 120 over 70, but man, I feel so awesome! Of course, I feel I look amazing as well and just recently had a reunion with some friends from college, man they were in sad shape,, canes, walkers, strokes, amputations, etc. I feel so lucky!

Well, thats the short of it, but I just wanted to say hello to all and I look forward to reading and learning as much as I can from all of you. Happy Holidays!
Likes For Robalero:
Old 02-11-20, 09:52 AM
pdxn8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Howdy.

Nate here, returning rider. I started cycling in my mid 20s and stopped in my early 30s due to a back injury. Last year between PT and some creative fitting of my bike I started getting back out more. I finished the year with 1300 miles (started in April). Hoping to increase that by 50% or more this year. I'm in the Pacific northwest and try to ride year round. Currently averaging around 55 to 65 miles per week.
Old 02-17-20, 06:33 PM
Kidrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Bobby here never really into riding until 1 month ago when I met a colleague of mine riding from home and riding twice a week. Started talking to him and now riding twice a week and just bought a used Ridley Hellium SL as my road bike. Also, have a Specialized FSR (2001) MTB

6'2 and 250 lbs but after 1 month and watching what I eat now 238. Riding twice a week and will increase my effort. Target is to get below 220lb. Currently averaging 25 miles a week.
Old 03-02-20, 07:08 PM
Scootr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wisconsin Clydesdale

Hi there. I am currently 277lbs down quite a few pounds from last year. I ride a Trek FX 7.2 with a Velocity Dyad rear wheel. I also have a Trek Farley 5 that I bought so I could commute all winter long. Love both of these bike and seriously considering adding a Trek 920 to the stable for some bike camping adventures this summer. I started commuting to work last October to loose some weight and fortunately I got addicted to cycling again.
Old 03-03-20, 03:53 PM
theRVN

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Name is Amir. Just turn 40 and looking to get into cycling. Picked up a new bike and plan to ride the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal before the year ends. Looking forward to learning all that I can and meeting some new people in the process.
Old 04-18-20, 07:14 PM
LACamper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kevin here... again. I'd joined a few years ago but didn't ride consistently. I did get into martial arts, which is a great workout. I didn't lose weight (5'10, 280ish) but I'm in much better shape now. With Corona we can't get together to work out. I pulled the bike out of the shed (an older Schwinn mountain bike) and took it for a ride. I did ok but I need to work on it some. Front derailleur is not allowing the small front chain ring. I think I need some pedal spacers. Some TLC is still needed. I did put a new seat (big improvement! and the old one was squirrel chewed! ). I need to pick up a spare tire and some tools (does anyone make a LIGHT 6" crescent wrench?).
Old 04-19-20, 03:07 PM
mogulman

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
265 lb 5'8” 52 year old guy here from CO. Trying to get in better shape and lose some weight.

Been riding 3-4 says a week since they shut down skiing. Glad there is a forum for bigger people trying to ride.... Thanks!
Old 04-22-20, 02:00 PM
Chulapit

Bikes: '93 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello All,

I'm Chulapit, real name is Valerie. I'm in my mid-40s and in Nov 2019 I took biking back up to shed some weight and get into an overall better level of fitness. Corona has put a temporary dampener on things by shutting down my local MTB trails, hopefully, some semblance normalcy will come back soon. I'm also into flipping bikes. I've always loved to tinker and I get a real satisfaction of resurrecting a neglected bike. Plus the money made to feed my flipping addiction is a great bonus.

I've lurked around for a bit and this forum is very informative. looking forward to learning more !
Old 04-23-20, 10:15 PM
badasbiker

Bikes: 1999 Orange Schwinn Heavy Duti

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I am buying a new bike soon (thank you stimulus check) and want to get back into riding. I haven't cycled very extensively, but I want to start for the stress relief I've always felt when i am on a bike. I am thinking of buying a worksman since they have bikes for the plush sized. I have a 1999 schwinn heavy duti that was some anniversary model or something, if i remember correctly. I want to learn how to take care of my bikes and maintain them, and to learn about issues faced by other heavy riders. Thanks for your time :-)
Old 05-01-20, 10:43 PM
GlasgowClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys I'm 6ft 4 the wrong side of 30 stone live in Glasgow Scotland looking to get back into cycling lost about 10 stone 5 years ago and have probably put it all back on. Have a 2014 specialized rock hopper 29er. Need to give myself the old kick up the backside and get back out there. Any tips will be much appreciated
Old 05-11-20, 07:48 PM
FatRap64

Bikes: 2020 Norco Storm 3

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Hi folks,

6-foot-2, 335 pounds, 56 years old. Need to get that middle number down – way down! – and my new bike is going to be the key for doing it. I look forward to sharing a lot of experiences with you all.

John

Last edited by FatRap64; 05-11-20 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For FatRap64:
Old 05-11-20, 08:07 PM
Scootr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FatRap64
Hi folks,

6-foot-2, 335 pounds, 56 years old. Need to get that middle number down – way down! – and my new bike is going to be the key for doing it. I look forward to sharing a lot of experiences with you all.

John
Welcome!
Likes For Scootr:
Old 05-20-20, 08:19 PM
Blackfox918

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi from Central Virginia

6’8”, 330lbs. Currently riding a new, inexpensive road bike and the mountain bike I got in college 25 years ago.

Riding by myself for exercise and with my kids for fun.

Thanks for having me!
Likes For Blackfox918:
Old 05-25-20, 02:42 PM
ineedabeeah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi fellow bicycle enthusiast,

6 foot, 210 lbs, after my spinal fusion I hated to think I'd have problem riding my bike, but was recommended to look into forward crank bikes and that was my saving grace. I own a Townie Euro 8d and love it. I ride about 20-25 miles on the weekends to stave off the excess pounds. I look forward to sharing with you all.
Likes For ineedabeeah:
Old 05-25-20, 08:19 PM
dorubin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haven’t ridden a bicycle since I was 10!

Dan, 41 year old 6’5” 350 lb. I haven’t ridden a bike since I was about 10, but my kids (11 & 8) love riding and I want to spend more time with them and be more active. Just picked up a Specialized Roll cruiser and have been out riding the past three days. It will take a while to get comfortable, but I went for. 4.5 mile ride today. It may have been a little baby step, but I am proud to be doing some things that scare me to set a good example for the kids.
Weight loss will be a nice bonus, but the primary goal is just to be active and to spend time with my kids. I’ve been doing yoga and some elliptical training as well. Overall, just trying to improve mobility, reduce low back pain, and be the healthiest version of myself.
Glad to have found this forum. Already, lurking helped me choose a bike that I feel comfortable on. I don’t expect I’ll ever be cycling long distances or high speeds, but I am looking forward to getting more into recreational riding.
Likes For dorubin:
Old 06-26-20, 02:42 PM
groovykincaid
2nd In Charge of My House

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, MEC 1971

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I will introduce myself...

I introduced myself in the main introduction sub forum. I am 96 kg and 178 cm. I ride a Giant Defy Advance 2.
Likes For groovykincaid:
Old 06-29-20, 12:10 PM
Grudey1
Suburban Dad

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 2012 Trek 7.1 FX, 2005 Trek Fuel 70, 2003 Trek 4500

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Back from Cycling Hiatus

Hello from South Central Pennsylvania. My name is Greg and I am a 48 year old father of four living in the suburbs. I'm 5' 10" and currently 304 lbs. Back in 2015 I bought an aluminum Specialized Diverge. I went from 330 lbs to 260. Over the past couple of years I stopped riding after having my daughter who is our late-in-life blessing. I recently sold the Diverge and treated myself a brand new 2019 Trek SL5 Disc (dealer leftover). So I am back at it again and loving it. Within a couple of weeks of owning the bike and having put only 40 miles on it, I suddenly had awful noises coming from the rear wheel. Upon inspection I noticed that my spoke were coming loose. I have surmised that my weight has exceeded the tolerances of the wheel. I have bit the bullet and ordered a set of custom-built wheels with 36 "strong gauge" spokes, heavy duty hubs and rims. I expect to have them tomorrow. I hope to be bach on the road in short order. Anyway, I have found this forum to be so inspirational. I look forward to contributing.
Likes For Grudey1:
Old 07-08-20, 09:25 AM
chadkams

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My name is Chad and I am new to the forum. I just turned 37 years young today and have been doing research on picking up my first bike since I was a teenager. I am 6'4 and about 420 lbs at the moment but I am determined to lose some weight. I am a ex-collegiate athlete but those days are long gone and all that left me is aches and pains in my shoulders, back, and knees which are only exacerbated by my weight gain (my playing weight many moons ago was around 240 lbs). I have been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks now and based on your replies and feedback posts from individuals with a similar stature to me I believe I have narrowed by bike search down to either a Specialized Roll, Specialized Rockhopper, or Trek Marlin 5. If there are any other options that you would recommend please let me know. It appears to be the absolute worst time to start biking though as most of my local (and regional) bike shops are completely out of inventory. This forum however has been great for a complete novice like myself to learn about what to look for in a bicycle.

Thank you all and stay safe out there!
Old 07-15-20, 07:15 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Hi from the hot humid south

Hi, I am new here.
5’9”, around 220 at last check-up. Probably less now. My scale says I weigh 40 pounds, but the last time that was possible was over 50 years ago, so I think it’s busted.
I like to tinker, I ride an old mountain bike I converted it to SS after it sat around for a few years after a tumble that broke the complicated bits. I’ve restored a couple bikes from the 90s for the kids. They ride with gears, but for now the fat old man can keep up on the fixie and I get a good workout.
Likes For Swampthing:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.