Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New wheels for old Schwinn Le Tour?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New wheels for old Schwinn Le Tour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 07:12 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Skperry59
How do I determine where my LeTour was built?
Give us a general description of the bike (color, parts on it, etc), and look closely at the head badge for a 4-digit date code. From there, we would hopefully have the info needed to plug it into a place of manufacture.
Old 10-23-19, 08:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I would think that (unless the Continental was your size and the World Sport was not) upgrading the Continental would be going backwards. I say this as someone who set up 100s of these bikes back in the day. The Continental had a tubular fork (better than the Varsity) but was electrowelded 16 gauge strip steel that was very low carbon (type 1010). The World Sport was made of thinner (18 gauge) higher carbon (1020) steel and used a brazed lug construction. The World sport was about 3 pounds lighter, too.

That said, if the Continental had good vibes for you, cool. I had a friend in college, Gary, who upgraded his Varsity (alloy hubs and rims). Another friend and I went out with him on our superbikes (An early Trek large diameter Al frame, and a Raleigh competition in 531) and Gary kicked both our tuchuses. Embarrassing.

To add what others have said, the ~1980 LeTours were pretty good bikes. Not 23lb superbikes, but very nice riding. I have a similar bike (a Superior) and an even better bike (World Voyageur, made in Japan) from that era. The spokes were corroded on the superior so I rebuilt the wheels with new spokes. It rides really nice now.

Check your wheels. Some Le Tours had steel wheels. Some (the Super Le Tour for sure) had alloy rims. If you have alloy rims then: if the hubs are ok (smooth running) or can be made ok by cleaning and repacking with new grease, then upgrading the whole wheel may be of limited utility. If you have alloy hubs and a steel rim, you could either buy new wheels or lace new alloy rims onto the old hubs. Whether you go for new wheels or new rims, you have a choice about 27 inch wheels that came on the bike, and 700c wheels that are ubiquitous now. 27 was OEM and you know that the brake arms will reach the rims. 700c offers more tire choices and more availability of tires and tubes but will require some brake adjustment. As I mentioned, on my superior I kept the old rims and relaced with new spokes. There are very good tires available for 27 inch wheels (just not the wide variety of 700c). I put Panaracer Paselas on.

I agree with bfromcolo that there are a lot of great old bikes available on Craigs list, at coops etc. You might be able to pick up an entire new bike with really good wheels and better frame and workings for the 200 bucks new wheels will cost. But the Le Tours were pretty good bikes.
Note: This is a Zombie Thread from 2007.
Old 10-24-19, 01:14 AM
mightymax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am a Schwinn man. If you like the bike and want to upgrade and have the means to do so. Then just do it.
Remember those Chicago built Schwinns have lifetime guarantees on the frames and will last forever. If not just have Schwinns replace it under their guarantee. Oh wait.....
Lol.....
Seriously though that Schwinn will survive the next extinction event. so if you have the money to do it and want to do it, I say go for it

Max Bryant

Last edited by mightymax; 10-24-19 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 06:49 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Note: This is a Zombie Thread from 2007.
Well, that was a waste of my time, huh?

It would be cool if the forum had a color code or flag or barchart or "Thread started in 1893" flag.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-19, 10:24 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Well, that was a waste of my time, huh?

It would be cool if the forum had a color code or flag or barchart or "Thread started in 1893" flag.

Thanks.
BF didn't exist until, ummmm, about 1923.
Old 10-24-19, 11:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I had an 80s Le Tour. It was a nice light lugged frame bike. If the frame is in good shape, why not upgrade to nicer lighter wheels.