Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Can I be competitive

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 10:58 PM
raceon4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I be competitive

Ok, so I'm 17 and dont have tons of money so I went out and purchased an early 90's specialized allez with rx100 components. It's just an 8 speed but seems to ride quite nice. Can I be competitive starting out with this bike and what kinds of obstacles or things should I focus on in my training.
Old 06-10-04, 11:54 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raceon4
Ok, so I'm 17 and dont have tons of money so I went out and purchased an early 90's specialized allez with rx100 components. It's just an 8 speed but seems to ride quite nice. Can I be competitive starting out with this bike and what kinds of obstacles or things should I focus on in my training.

Trust me, the first thing you'll find out is that "it's not about the bike"

If you're good, it won't matter what you're riding, as long as it rolls forward properly and you can shift without having the chain fly off heh
Old 06-11-04, 04:13 AM
RacerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah sure you can! The important thing is not to burn out in a year or two which is common for your age of rider.
Ride with a club and get your legs, learn the basics and test your level.
good luck
Old 06-11-04, 04:21 AM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not about the bike... but a good bike helps..

RX100 is not that bad. Its equivalent to the current Tiagra groupset. But I think the RX100 quality exceeds that of the current Tiagra.

I had a riding buddie who used to run those on his bike.. It was good! Light enough.. The only downside is the Finish... I didn't quite like the paint finish.
Old 06-11-04, 06:16 AM
wpbusc
Professional Amatuer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RX100 from the early 90's is no different functionally than 105 from the same period. They were identical except for the finish.

If you a serious about racing check out www.usacycling.org and find a local club with a junior team, and you may find a coach in your area www.bicyclecoach.com.

Buddy B
Old 06-11-04, 07:26 AM
superchivo

Location: Northern Virginia - just south of the normal people
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A used allez with RX-100 was my first racing bike (in the mid-1990s). You'll like the satisfaction you'll get flying past guys on bikes that cost 5-6 times what yours did. Maybe that won't happen if you're racing juniors, but still. Its a solid bike and good enough components. Train right and you'll be in business.
Old 06-11-04, 06:59 PM
orguasch
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raceon4
put the miles on the bike(I mean your legs), and you will be competitive, don't pay to much attention to your components,
Old 06-12-04, 07:58 PM
PriO
dotdotdot

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much did that bike cost?
Old 06-13-04, 10:56 AM
smeghead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's better to start with a bike like this anyway to test the waters and see if it's something you really want to. Chances are, that you will and in a year or two you'll step up to finer bike.....or you my bag it and switch to synchronized swimming
Old 06-13-04, 02:31 PM
oneradtec
Coastal NC

Bikes: 2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That RX 100 is alot better than some of the groupsets on the market today(Sora, Tiagra, and some of the Campy stuff). It's very durable. I rode it for a while a few years back. That Allez carbon was a good frame too. I think it was a better frame than that Trek composite one that Trek had out about the same time(2100, 2300, 2500). You have what you need...now just keep it clean and maintained regularly. Go ride!!!!!!
Old 06-13-04, 02:47 PM
oneradtec
Coastal NC

Bikes: 2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa!!! you never mentioned carbon did you...I think that was the 'Epic' frame..so perhaps your Allez is aluminum?