Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Trike commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Trike commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 09:26 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trike commuters?

is anyone commuting with a trike?

have had to reconsider my commuting options. recent crash (solo) put me into hospital 10 days with broken ribs, clavicle and collapsed lung. do not remember accident so am not sure what happened to cause the fall. have been commuting over 3 years and have had 2 accidents (one hit and run my first year and then this solo accident out of the blue it seems).

what are your trike commute experiences? pro's and con's?
Old 03-19-11, 09:56 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bikegeek57
is anyone commuting with a trike?

have had to reconsider my commuting options. recent crash (solo) put me into hospital 10 days with broken ribs, clavicle and collapsed lung. do not remember accident so am not sure what happened to cause the fall. have been commuting over 3 years and have had 2 accidents (one hit and run my first year and then this solo accident out of the blue it seems).

what are your trike commute experiences? pro's and con's?

I used to use my '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike to commute to my weekend job (when I had a weekend Job). What I liked is I could drop my gear in the rear basket and go. I didn't have to worry about cinching on or packing panniers. It also was very relaxing to ride as on a subconcious level there is less work balancing. It's like riding an easy chair. You also stand out more in traffic.

If there are any cons it's that there are slower than a standard bike and if anything causes you to take "the walk of shame" a trike is harder to walk without getting heeled.
Old 03-19-11, 04:13 PM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. As for the "walk" I think that's what AAA is for? ;-)
Old 03-19-11, 07:44 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
They're not on this forum, but on another forum I frequent, two guys commute on Catrike Expeditions. One guy is in NC with a 16 mile R/T commute, the other is in KY with a 9 mile R/T commute. Both have been doing it for years.