Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Old 02-04-15, 09:51 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Hard to tell if there would be enough clearance between the rack to accommodate the back of the camera housing on the vertical rack mount plate. For someone using the PBSF mount on a seatpost the angle of the seatpost would definitely get in the way and require the mount to point down and the camera hung upside down or have a longer mid section separating the two interfaces.
Old 02-04-15, 10:25 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
@Kev - There are, just need to search a bit and read a lot of reviews, but for one off parts, there are networks of local printers and places like Shapeways that will print it for you after you design it. Here are a couple of examples:
  • 3D Hubs - They are local people with 3D printers that will print your stuff for you, you can even get stuff the same day. They usually tell you what prniter they have, what type and color filament they use and how long it will take as well as the price to print. The method usually employed is FDM, small streams of melted plastic layered on top of each other.
  • MakeXYZ - They are like a Yelp for local 3D printers. Find a printer, read the reviews, send them a file, pick up your part.
  • Shapeways - Shapeways is a commercial 3D printer that will print you stuff in 10-14 days, using primarily nylon, but they also have other materials. Shapeways uses a printing method called SLS, laser sintering of nylon layer by layer.

@gecho - It was a rough sketch, but I did take into account the length of the actual Planet Bike mount. I used my own GoPro waterproof case as a guide. It should be long enough if you have a lot of seatpost showing. Its a 10 minute job to rotate the arm 180° so that the camera points down.
Old 02-04-15, 10:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
anyhow next step.. plastic investment burn out and casting in metal works as well as using wax .. just takes more heat & time to burn up the plastic ..
Old 02-06-15, 04:53 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by fietsbob
anyhow next step.. plastic investment burn out and casting in metal works as well as using wax .. just takes more heat & time to burn up the plastic ..
Except not a likely technology for home use. Right now you can use some commercial 3D Printers to print castable wax material. Frome there you have many manufacturing options.
Old 02-08-15, 03:57 PM
WheresWaldo

Various 3D printed parts

Just got a few parts in from the 3D printer. I built these up because I needed what these parts do in a reall weight weenie sense. Couldn't use the standard parts because either they don't make them or they are too big and bulky. So the first thing was a direct mount for the Sony HDR-AZ1 Mini Action Camera. The Sony is too small to have a tripod socket in the bottom of the camera so they made an adapter that inserts into a slot in the back and then uses an M4 thumbscrew to attach. This is built the same way and uses an M4 socket head cap screw and the standard GoPro style thumbscrew and acorn nut.

Here it is installed on the bike

Of course the whole point was to get my Contour cameras back into service to I created a direct mount adapter. It goes directly from T-Rail to GoPro and slides on the Contour camera just as their facotry mounts do.

Here is an image of the Contour mounted on the bicycle.

The last thing that shwed up yesterday was a clip to mount the Sony Live-View Remote onto a Garmin quarter-turn compatible mount. The Live-View Remote is necessary if you are going to do any multi-camera syncing and if you want to control your AZ1. Otherwise everything must be done via mobile phone and Sony's PlayMemories Mobile application. I wanted the screen off my wrist and mounted on the bike, but still have the ability to quickly remove it if I need to step away from my bicycle. Here is the result.

This image shows how it mounts onto the Garmin style mount.

Click on any of the images to be taken to a page where you can get one of these.
Old 02-12-15, 01:28 PM
WheresWaldo

Was looking for a race number plate attachment. They all were way too much money, even for the ones that were just a piece of twisted metal. So here is my attempt at making a part that works for me. Requires an M4 x 12 mm socket head cap screw and nylon insert lock nut to attach to the seat post, and anything up to an M4 screw and nut to attach the number plate.

Old 02-20-15, 12:57 PM
WheresWaldo

Been doing a bit more design work to solve some problems I have with mounting existing cameras on bicycles. It is always nice to see things like the Fly6 and others, but they are more of a bicycle only solution. People buy action cams for all sorts of reasons, not just putting them on a bicycle. GoPro has the bulk of the market when it comes to cameras and mounting options. So much so, that there is a thriving community of Chinese resellers that make and sell knock off mounts. Some good, some not so good. I am not trying to make parts that everyone else in Asia is making, but rather tailored solutions to not so common mounting problems. Like everyone else, at times I say to myself, "if I only had ...". Well now I can have that 'only' part. If there is one other person who can benefit from my efforts, I am happy with that. That is why I have put these and other parts up on Shapeways.

Here are some of my latest designs for mounting non-GoPro cameras on GoPro mounts:

Sony AZ1 direct to GoPro side mount.

Sony AZ1 direct to Contour T-Rail mount.

Contour T-Rail direct to GoPro mount.

Here is a couple of things I did for myself that are not for sale, they are Combo Presta valve cap and core/extension tool, AZ1 lens cap, Contour T-Rail to Garmin quarter-turn mount, larger GoPro J-Hook mount insert:
Attached Images
Likes For WheresWaldo:
Old 02-20-15, 01:16 PM
Redflea

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2014)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are getting surprisingly common - our local Costco has a 3D printer that is about $600! I think it's the RoBo 3D. Supposed to be a good model - not clear if it would be the right printer for these types of jobs.
Old 02-20-15, 03:49 PM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by Redflea
These are getting surprisingly common - our local Costco has a 3D printer that is about $600! I think it's the RoBo 3D. Supposed to be a good model - not clear if it would be the right printer for these types of jobs.
Great for prototyping, but requires a lot of time fiddling with printer settings before you get the print right. Much easier to design a part than to print it. RoBo 3D is only at a few Costco's not nationwide or on Costco.com.

Just an FYI, if anyone is interested in printing these for themselves, be prepared for a lot of trail and error. First these models do not have any support structures built into the .stl files, then some have overhangs, which can be a problem to print. But if you want to try, you can look up my username on Thingiverse.com and download them from there.
Old 02-27-15, 01:13 PM
WheresWaldo

Ion Air CamLOCK Direct GoPro Mount

For anyone using any model of the Ion Air Pro and want to retain the CamLOCK quick release feature. I have made up a few items that will adapt the CamLOCK direct to the GoPro mounting system. Here is one example.

Ion Air CamLOCK Direct GoPro Mount
Old 03-01-15, 08:20 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would like to mount my Dinotte 300r to my Cervelo S2 aero seatpost but I have no idea how to design it.
Old 03-01-15, 09:20 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've been looking into getting one of these things printed up for a Cycliq Fly6 tail light camera: Fly6 Rear Rack Mount by oddbot - Thingiverse

The Fly6 only comes with seatpost mounts, but I can't use that on my commuting/touring bike due to the bags I carry on my rear rack. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. Wave of the future!
Old 03-01-15, 11:11 PM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by Dunbar
I would like to mount my Dinotte 300r to my Cervelo S2 aero seatpost but I have no idea how to design it.
Dinotte has an aero mount. It is part of their kit here Quad Red/amber 300 /400 series, daytime clamp mount kits ? DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store, I am not a fan of having the serrated teeth and screw to hold the angle. They also made it a more universal fit, so there are rubber strips to adjust for sizing differences. I am more inclined to make it 17° so the light sits upright, especially since most modern bikes use 72-73° for their seat tube angle and not require the need for additional pieces to hold it in place. Take a look at the Synapse specific seat post mounts I designed, they fit and hold in place without the use of rubber shims. If it was me I would design it as one piece, But that said, their kit is only $14, there's no way to get one off parts made that cheaply.

Originally Posted by Lanovran
I've been looking into getting one of these things printed up for a Cycliq Fly6 tail light camera: Fly6 Rear Rack Mount by oddbot - Thingiverse ... The Fly6 only comes with seatpost mounts, but I can't use that on my commuting/touring bike due to the bags I carry on my rear rack. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. Wave of the future!
That mount was specifically made for his rack, hence the need for two M5 bolts to hold it up. It would appear that the bolt holes were already in the rack to begin with and he just matched it up with his printed mount.

The whole point of the mounts I am working on was that there weren't any alternatives, or they are too generic and hence too universal, bulky, cumbersome and heavy. The more pieces you have to string together to make something work the less stable it becomes. Not so much an issue for lighting, but that wreaks havoc on video recording.
Old 03-02-15, 12:37 AM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Dinotte has an aero mount. It is part of their kit here Quad Red/amber 300 /400 series, daytime clamp mount kits ? DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store, I am not a fan of having the serrated teeth and screw to hold the angle.
None of their teardrop shaped mounts are big enough to fit the Cervelo S-series seat post. I don't mind the serrated teeth, they haven't slipped on my in probably 20k miles. I can't seem to find your Synapse mount. This is how I had the Dinotte mounted on my S2 but the race number mount eventually broke from fatigue (luckily I heard the light fall and recovered it mostly unscathed.)

Last edited by Dunbar; 03-02-15 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 01:12 AM
WheresWaldo

Should have been more clear, the 2009-2012 Synapse has an aero seat post, and I made mounts for GoPro and Garmin Virb cameras to fit (not lights). It was more to show you what could be done. Sent you a PM requesting information.
Old 03-05-15, 05:20 PM
TrekkingMitten
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is the future. Be your own Chinese guy ;-)
Endless possibilities.
Old 03-05-15, 05:26 PM
TrekkingMitten
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the links. I will be printing couple parts soon. Just one question. How durable are these printed items comparing to stuff bought at the store? What to look for? The last thing I need is to lose my expensive camera or light due to the failure of the printed holder.

@Kev - There are, just need to search a bit and read a lot of reviews, but for one off parts, there are networks of local printers and places like Shapeways that will print it for you after you design it. Here are a couple of examples:
  • 3D Hubs - They are local people with 3D printers that will print your stuff for you, you can even get stuff the same day. They usually tell you what prniter they have, what type and color filament they use and how long it will take as well as the price to print. The method usually employed is FDM, small streams of melted plastic layered on top of each other.
  • MakeXYZ - They are like a Yelp for local 3D printers. Find a printer, read the reviews, send them a file, pick up your part.
  • Shapeways - Shapeways is a commercial 3D printer that will print you stuff in 10-14 days, using primarily nylon, but they also have other materials. Shapeways uses a printing method called SLS, laser sintering of nylon layer by layer.

@gecho - It was a rough sketch, but I did take into account the length of the actual Planet Bike mount. I used my own GoPro waterproof case as a guide. It should be long enough if you have a lot of seatpost showing. Its a 10 minute job to rotate the arm 180° so that the camera points down.
Old 03-05-15, 11:27 PM
WheresWaldo

Commercial printers using SLS and printing in nylon (predominantly) end up having products that are every bit as strong as the injection molded counterparts. The nylon is literally fused together layer by layer. Home printers will vary depending on how much tinkering with their machines the owner has done. There are also a lot of other parameters that the printer can play with such as layer size, speed of extrusion, infill percentage, etc. all of which contribute to the overall strength of the finished piece. The home user has to also factor in just how long a single print will take, so they usually make compromises to print faster. That's why I only use a home printer to prototype and not to produce anything I would give or sell to someone else. I use mounts I designed printed by Shapeways and I carry about $400 worth of camera equipment with me on nearly every ride.

If you can't design your own stuff, then you are at the mercy of how someone else wants to build their items. I do have a lot of small parts up on Thingiverse is you want to try printing them yourself. Just note that the free stuff, at least in my case, is lower resolution and usually the first working models that I create. Then I go through a lengthy process of refinements and reprints until I have something that is light and strong. I do not go back and update Thingiverse with all the latest designs changes unless there is a significant functionality difference.
Old 03-06-15, 03:34 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw this Racewaredirect mount over on the Cervelo forums. I bet it won't be cheap though.

Old 03-07-15, 01:18 AM
WheresWaldo

Yeah, they charge too much, but at the present time no one else competes with them. If you look at their metal parts, Why would anyone spend $42.00 + Shipping on a chaincatcher, when you can get an aluminum one on eBay for any number of Chinese vendors for under $10. They do have a few cool items. According to their press articles, all they are doing is designing and selling, someone else actually does their 3D printing, which is how I am doing it also. They seem to be focused on computer mounts and not much else. I hope they do well. Their issue is that printing it in the EU and shipping to the US will make them costlier than someone doing everything in NA. Its not like their material costs are any less than they are here, and certainly not labor. Canada has similar issues. Just had a part that Shapeways can make for about $10 and a Canadian firm quoted me $39 CAD (~$31 USD) for the same part in the same material.

I think the picture above is an SRM mount. UCI does not permit handlebar mounted computers in track events, so anyone that uses it for data aquisition must mount it behind them.
Old 03-07-15, 09:57 PM
WheresWaldo

Lightbulb Felt Aero Seat Post Mount

A friend of mine has a Felt AR and saw the mount I had on my EVO. He asked where he could get one for himself. I asked him to borrow his bike for a couple of hours and I went and measured up the U-M 1.1A seat post he had can came up with this gem. Now remember this is a render, not a photograph of the actual part.

GoPro Felt Aero:Road Seat Post Mount

I tried a couple of different things on this mount so it is marked as BETA and if anyone else gets one some feedback would be appreciated. I am trying to figure out how to make the clamp area more streamlined and smooth instead of having two ears sticking out for the clamp bolts. It does add slightly more material on the sides of the clamp, but overall I like the look better. Of course since this is an aero seat post there is considerably more work getting it just right in both form and function. If it works well I have hit on a design that will look as good as anything commercially available and at a reasonable cost too.

I also came up with this. It is used to mount anything GoPro style onto a Garmin quarter-turn mount.

GoPro Garmin Quarter-Turn Adapter Mount
Old 03-09-15, 04:08 PM
WheresWaldo

Seat Post Sizing Document

Here is a short document I made up to make it easier to see what type of clamp you would need for mounting any type of action cam, light or other device on specific bikes. Please note that I currently only support 2 aero seat posts, the Cannondale Synapse Aero and the Felt U-M 1.1 Aero:Road. All of the round sizes are supported. Each mount is specific to the size of the seat post. That makes the interface more secure and it can be made lighter in weight at the same time. I hope this helps.

I am in communication with Felt Bicycles to get diagrams of the profiles of their seat posts. In the absence of this, I will continue to reverse engineer the mounts as I come across the posts myself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bicycle_Seat_Posts.pdf (143.7 KB, 709 views)

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 03-12-15 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-11-15, 06:06 PM
WheresWaldo

New item. This is for Dunbar, but I am sure someone else might need it too. It is a replacement clamp piece for the Dinotte rear blinking lights, as well as many others that use the same mounting system.

Blinking Light Cervelo S-Series Post Clamp

To use this, just remove the two bolts, nuts and the clip arm from the original mount. and put them in their respective places in this new clamp. This clamp is specifically for the Cervelo S-Series seat posts and will not fit other aero posts. It can be mounted up or down depending on whether you need your light clipped in from the top or bottom.
Old 03-12-15, 09:25 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
New item.
Are you posting STLs anywhere?
Old 03-12-15, 09:52 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Are you posting STLs anywhere?
Not of the profiled seat posts. I do not want to run afoul of the Blue Suits! Most of the profile designs are proprietary and the intellectual property is protected by the bike manufacturers.

Some of the original designs are up on Thingiverse, under the same username. I will warn you, there may be overhangs and spans as well as no support structures in any of them. With SLS this is not an issue, with FDM this is very important. I did create a zip (also on Thingiverse) that has a lot of components that you can piece together to make up what you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.