Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mild adhesives

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mild adhesives

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 11:01 PM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Mild adhesives

My road bike has a chromed chainstay protector (it looks a lot like this one) and it is barely sticking to the chainstay. I'd like to secure it back in place, but I don't want to use anything that would potentially damage the paint or glue it down irreversibly.

What's a good adhesive for something that is not carrying any load and just needs to be stuck down enough to stay in place when the wind blows on it, but still be mild enough that the bond can be cleanly broken by hand?
Old 03-04-15, 11:21 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
3m makes some nice double sided bonding films. I use these for guitar repair, when I need to secure hardware with a strong bond that wont damage the finish of an instrument. You probably wouldn't need to cover the entire surface under the chain stay protector, to make it slightly easier to remove. Make sure to clean and prep both surfaces with rubbing alcohol or naphtha for good adhesion.
Old 03-04-15, 11:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
companies like 3m make adhesives with a wide spectrum of holding power. If the curvature of the protector matches the chainstay well, you could probably use one of the very low strength stick adhesives like the 3m post-it stuff. There are also heat activated glues where you'd heat the area with a heat g*n as you pressed the protector home, then heated it again to remove.

In any case, be sure to thoroughly clean the chainstay of any dirt or oil films so your light adhesive can hold.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-05-15, 10:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
I also find that heating up the stay and protector with a heat g*u*n or hair dryer helps to allow the usually flat protector to conform to the stay and not tend to pull up along it's edges. I do this with the Stay Tuff protectors on my own bikes. Andy.
Old 03-05-15, 10:12 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'd use 3M Trim and Badge adhesive. You can get it at auto parts stores. It's designed for that purpose.
Old 03-05-15, 10:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Clear hot melt glue sticks is another one.
Old 03-05-15, 11:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you apply rubber cement to ONE side only and put the parts together while it is still wet, it will hold well but be easily peeled off.

I also use spray artist's adhesive for light-duty, removable applications.

Don't forget the thin (not foam) double-faced tape as well.
Old 03-05-15, 03:29 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you apply rubber cement to ONE side only and put the parts together while it is still wet, it will hold well but be easily peeled off.

I also use spray artist's adhesive for light-duty, removable applications.

Don't forget the thin (not foam) double-faced tape as well.
The badge and trim adhesive mentioned above likely is permanent. Rubber cement (the stuff you use to apply tire patches with) will work nicely and you likely have it already or can get a tube in a $2.50 patch kit, but you will have to coat both surfaces with the cement and let them dry for about 5 minutes then press in place and done. One surface will not work with this type of adhesive.
Old 03-05-15, 04:27 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
One surface will not work with this type of adhesive.
Regular office rubber cement, not tire patch stuff, works like that. Putting it on one surface only turns it from permanent to "mild" and removable. You might have noticed that credit cards and the like are stuck to their accompanying letters with a similar adhesive.

The stuff in patch kits is vulcanizing fluid; it reacts chemically with the rubber to bond it. Not quite the same process as rubber cement.
Old 03-06-15, 09:52 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The peel-off stuff used to attach things like credit cards to paper in mailings is called fugitive glue. It often comes in hot melt form, but there are press-on "glue dots" available as well. Walmart and Amazon carry them. They may work well for what you want, assuming they're waterproof.

A couple dots of plain ol' hot melt glue could do the trick, too.
Old 03-06-15, 08:05 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I also find that heating up the stay and protector with a heat g*u*n or hair dryer helps to allow the usually flat protector to conform to the stay and not tend to pull up along it's edges. I do this with the Stay Tuff protectors on my own bikes. Andy.
A heat gonne will also help remove stronger adhesives should they be used and need to be removed later. Nearly all adhesives (short of epoxies) will let loose at temperatures much lower than the paint. Just keep slowly turning up the head dial on the goone until you reach that magic temp where the adhesive just gives up adhering. I use this method with unwanted decals all the time. Even those ugly 1970's/80's supposedly tamper-proof security stickers are no match for a heat goone.

An adjustable-temp heat goone is much more handy than a hair dryer due to the true adjustability of the heat. HF has them for about $10-15
Old 03-07-15, 10:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
The badge and trim adhesive mentioned above likely is permanent.
Nope.
Old 03-07-15, 10:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gluten

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-07-15 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 11:02 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Nope.
Correct.

Very little sticks to well-cured automotive paint by actually bonding to it at the molecular level. Even paint doesn't stick to paint very well without being roughed up a little. If one takes a little bit of scratch-x or other polishing compound and buffs up the paint to a really nice gloss nothing is going to stick to permanently short of a two-part epoxy or something similar which could damage the paint.

A heat goone takes nearly anything off. it works great on automotive trim as well. It's what the pros use at autobody shops when they need to get it off without damaging it.
Old 03-07-15, 03:45 PM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
The peel-off stuff used to attach things like credit cards to paper in mailings is called fugitive glue. It often comes in hot melt form, but there are press-on "glue dots" available as well. Walmart and Amazon carry them. They may work well for what you want, assuming they're waterproof.
Thanks, this sounds like pretty much what I had in mind. I picked up a roll of "glue dots" at Home Depot today (it comes in a rather absurd plastic dispenser). I'll give it a shot and see how it works.