Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Shop Decals… Remove or not remove?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Bike Shop Decals… Remove or not remove?
Leave on forever
40.54%
Leave on for a long time
13.51%
Leave on for a short time
5.41%
Remove asap
40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 08:21 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

You bought a bike at a shop. When setting it up, they put their little sticker on it with their name, city, and phone number.

Do you remove it, or leave it on? Why?
Old 03-20-15, 08:38 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would probably leave it on for as long as it didn't peel or look ugly, so I said a long time... Mostly because I buy only from shops that I like, so I don't mind the minimal advertising for their shop. I do tend to get rid of the yellow sticker to remind idiots to make sure their quick release is fastened properly since it is usually pretty ugly in the context of the overall look...

I see a shop sticker as a very minor issue compared to the obnoxious graphics that the manufacturers plaster on every tube on the frame... the handlebars, the wheels, the seat post, the tires etc... I remove any wheel stickers or any other removable advertisements that are larger than my taste allows. Those little bike shop stickers are small enough to not bother my sensibilities.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-20-15, 08:43 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Immediately remove along with any reflectors and warning stickers.
Old 03-20-15, 08:44 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd ask them how much they're willing to pay for that advertising space.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-20-15, 08:48 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I remove everything ASAP. I want it to look as if it just left the factory (as stock as possible)
Old 03-20-15, 08:48 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I leave mine on forever as it gets me lifetime free adjustments on the bike. Otherwise, I might remove it.
Old 03-20-15, 08:57 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I remove everything ASAP. I want it to look as if it just left the factory (as stock as possible)
I pretty much remove everything ASAP. I generally take a hair dryer to the ugly stickers on the rims too. Painted logos on components, like the stem, might get buffed off with polishing compound. Some of the factory folks have questionable taste.
Old 03-20-15, 09:03 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I like a generic look on my bike, no decals anywhere.
Old 03-20-15, 09:20 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I leave mine on forever as it gets me lifetime free adjustments on the bike. Otherwise, I might remove it.
The shop should track all of your purchases on their computer system, and at least here, the shops only care one brand, like one store has Trek, another Felt, and one has Specialized, etc. They know where you got it from.
Old 03-20-15, 10:07 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I leave them on, and like it when I find a used bike that still has the original shop sticker. Kind of cool seeing where a used bike was purchased from and how far it came to be in your possession. I also only buy from shops I like. I have some decals of my now defunct shop I put on bikes I acquire with no stickers. It's just my way
Old 03-20-15, 10:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
For an average bike it lends character. Also what @Jarrett2 said about the shop marking bikes they sold for service agreements.

For a premium bike I think I'd take it off.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-20-15, 10:31 AM
bigredkevbot

Bikes: 2015 All-City Spacehorse, 2014 Specialized Allez Race, Mid 80s Takara Acknowledge Fixed Gear

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I leave them on, and like it when I find a used bike that still has the original shop sticker. Kind of cool seeing where a used bike was purchased from and how far it came to be in your possession. I also only buy from shops I like. I have some decals of my now defunct shop I put on bikes I acquire with no stickers. It's just my way
+1 I agree. I've had bikes from Georgia, my hometown, and California. It can be a piece of nostalgia or just a little history on a small piece of the cycling world.
Old 03-20-15, 10:49 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
While I was glad that my used Venge still had the original bikeshop stickers on it, so I could track down it's history if I ever needed to- I did remove them ASAP- they marred the looks of the bike.
Old 03-20-15, 10:51 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^ That's another side benefit. My girlfriend bought a used bike off CL and it happened to have the same LBS sticker on it that my bike does at the LBS where I bought it. They do adjustments on both bikes for free.
Old 03-20-15, 02:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I removed all decals from my bikes, including the ones from the wheels.. Those which are difficult to remove I sprayed some flat black rattle can paint over them.
Old 03-20-15, 09:46 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
When I see an old or antique bike with a long defunct bike shop sticker on it, I think it's kind of cool, so I leave my bikes' alone.

Keith
Old 03-21-15, 08:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Being a C & V type I leave them. Some day it'll be a piece of history. I have a couple bikes with now defunct shop stickers on them.
Old 03-21-15, 10:20 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
On one hand I like the clean look of no decals, on the other I like the history and nostalgia of them.

I bought a new bike at the beginning of January this year. The shop really took care of me and swapped out my stem and chainring free of charge. This encouraged me to leave their decal on, if only for a while. Now I'm thinking I'll just leave it on for good. It's pretty small and not really hurting anyone.
Old 03-23-15, 10:55 AM
dubes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I leave 'em on "forever". In my experience they're small and unobtrusive, i.e. you'd have to look sharp to even notice them, so they're not really detracting from the look of the bike IMO.

So the folks who are removing the decals from their bikes, do you peal off the dealership decals from your car, too?
Old 03-23-15, 11:18 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
If I bought it there, I figure at the very least it might get me bumped up in line (I've had people at other specialty - non-bike - shops tell me it will for them). If I didn't buy it from a shop (and especially if I'm no longer around that original shop), I'd take it off. So I split the difference and said leave it a long time.

Old 03-23-15, 11:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by dubes
So the folks who are removing the decals from their bikes, do you peal off the dealership decals from your car, too?
I've started to, but then stopped because it looked like it wouldn't come off cleanly. I keep meaning to remove the thing they put around the license plate because it's only screwed in on top and clatters every time I shut the trunk, but am lazy and haven't gotten to that yet.

Old 03-23-15, 12:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It was actually a Sticker , not a Decal. Water slide decal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Decalcomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-23-15, 01:09 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dubes

I know a guy who was buying a new car, and told the stealership that they'd have to remove their dealer emblem before he'd take delivery. They didn't want to do it. He told 'em "You deon't do it, I'm not buying the car". They did it. I'd be the same way. I only buy used vehicles- and luckily, none of my current ones have dealer emblems. I don't know if they still use 'em these days, but in the past, some dealers would glue on actual emblems which you couldn't remove without damaging the paint! (Hence my friend's demand that the stealership remove the emblem [and fix any paint damge] before he'd buy the car).
Old 03-23-15, 03:17 PM
Cyclist0084

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
+1

Back in 2007 I bought a Giant Sedona from a Salvation Army thrift store. It had a shop sticker on it. IIRC, it was from either New Jersey or New York. I was living in south suburban Chicago at the time.

Interesting story about that bike. It had no price on it yet, so the lady on the floor had to ask a manager for a price. Manager looks at me and says, "would $25 be too much?" Needless to say, I snatched it up in a heartbeat. It was in great shape for a used bike.

As to the original question.....I leave stickers on for a while, and then remove them. How long is "a while?" Depends on the sticker(s).

Last edited by Cyclist0084; 03-23-15 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 03:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
When pricing my new road bike I was at one shop that had a Trek Emonda SLR 9 in satin black on display. This is a $9000 bike and on the seat tube was a shop sticker that was on crooked.

Needless to say I bought my Emonda SLR at a different shop and they did not put a sticker on it.

Yesterday I picked up a second bike, a trail bike, and when I got it home i removed the factory warning stickers on the down tube, left shock and top tube.

It just takes a little heat from a hear *** to soften the glue and off they come. Then a few wipes with some WD-40 and its like they were never there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.