Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Ahoy Staten Island! re: Ft Wadsworth closed road

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 04:20 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

This afternoon, I biked through Ft Wadsworth. Typically, my route includes USS North Carolina Road between Hudson Road and the pedpath connecting to Miller Field. Today, heading south from Hudson Road, I found two very emphatic sets of barriers blocking USS North Carolina Road. No information signs and nothing on the website

https://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

The workaround is easy / convenient enough (Hudson Rd / Battery Rd / McLean Av - Lilly Pond Av) and the reverse works equally well, but I was wondering if anyone has any information about how long USS North Carolina Road will be closed.

And yes, I know about the Visitor Center on New York Av. Before encountering the closed road, I’d used the Visitor Center’s indoor plumbing, but it didn’t occur to me to ask about closed roads.
Old 03-26-18, 08:30 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Pretty sure Ft. Wadsworth is under the command of Ft. Hamilton

Why not call the LEO's for Ft,. Hamilton, they might have an answer or suggestion

(718) 630-4456
Old 04-22-18, 09:16 PM
edman610

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp Disc Ultegra, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Specialized Fat Boy, trek Superfly FS9, Cannondale R400, Specialized StumpJumper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Passed through today - the barriers are still there. Unofficially, you can pass around them, and once you do (allegedly) there is another barrier on the path connecting the fort area to the path by the boardwalk - but it's easy to get around. Physically, there seems to be nothing wrong with any of the roads/path there.
Old 04-23-18, 02:22 PM
arbee

Thanks for the update @edman610

I tend to be somewhat cautious around the feds.

Guessing: it may be a motor vehicle thing and the barriers reflect a windshield view.
Old 09-28-19, 08:43 PM
arbee

Bumping this: I biked through Ft. Wadsworth today. I'm clueless whether the barriers I encountered about 18 months ago on USS North Carolina Road between Hudson Road and the pedpath connecting to Miller Field were related to what I found today; no matter.

This segment of North Carolina Road has been repaved, superbly.

The repaving included removing all but one of the speedbumps that had been on this road. The one remaining speedbump is on the hill near the camping area. It's not the full width of the road; easy to bike around it.