Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What happened to make you finally wear a helmet?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What happened to make you finally wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 09:24 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
I'll wear a helmet when something serious happens (life changing moment/accident), so no helmet yet.
Realizing that this is the post that will start the path to A&S,

That's a rational way to look at it. By acknowledging that when you have a serious accident, then you'll wear a helmet, you're implicity accepting that the helmet may be of some benefit, yet you're not using it now.

The risk that you'll have a serious accident leading to a permanent brain injury is the same, before and after your first accident.

So essentially you're saying it's going to take getting hit upside the head before you'll wear a helmet.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-10-13, 09:28 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'll wear a helmet when something serious happens (life changing moment/accident), so no helmet yet.
Genius

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-10-13, 09:29 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Realizing that this is the post that will start the path to A&S,

That's a rational way to look at it. By acknowledging that when you have a serious accident, then you'll wear a helmet, you're implicity accepting that the helmet may be of some benefit, yet you're not using it now.

The risk that you'll have a serious accident leading to a permanent brain injury is the same, before and after your first accident.

So essentially you're saying it's going to take getting hit upside the head before you'll wear a helmet.
Well said. My accident of no less than two days ago would have been life-changing for the worse had I not had a helmet. No sense in wondering how worse by not wearing one next time.

Hello, A&S.
Old 01-10-13, 09:57 AM
buffalowings

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I considered buying a helmet (and wearing it for longer rides (>15miles) but I spent my discretionary income on upgrading my bike.
Old 01-10-13, 10:25 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife bought me one for Christmas. I had that "DUH" moment when I realized I should wear it for her, not just me.
Old 01-10-13, 10:28 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I considered buying a helmet (and wearing it for longer rides (>15miles) but I spent my discretionary income on upgrading my bike.
I was 4 miles from the house when my accident occurred. Distance means nothing to gravity and head trauma. Please re-think your needs or we will all be paying for your medical care when your accident happens.
Old 01-10-13, 10:48 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
You can get a perfectly serviceable helmet at Wall Mart for $16. Splurge and spend $40 and you'll get something lighter, and cooler. Lack of funds is not a reason to not wear a helmet.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-10-13, 11:15 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
My Schwinn Thrasher came from wal-mart, for the said $16. It replaced my SERIOUSLY OUTDATED helmet from 1992, when I originally bought my bicycle. When I started riding again recently. I used that helmet because it was all I had at the time, and I'd spent my money buying new tires, which cost twice as much as I thought, to replace my equally old Specialized Nimbus tires with flat spots from sitting idle for years.
Old 01-10-13, 11:21 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hbrown
I crashed, and when I say I crashed, I crashed monumentally!!! I was riding on a local bike path just to stretch my legs. The day before I rode from Philly to the Buena Vista campground in Jersey. It was a Fund raiser for ACS. I rode the Century. Slept good that night! Next day My legs were buzzing so I suited up and hit the Norristown bike path. No helmet! Never wore one if I didn't have to! Only in events that it was required. I was doing around 28 mph just cleared the Norristown Transportation Center, Heading to the 202 Bridge, there is a nice downhill then a flat area that leads to an abrupt uphill that leads to the bridge. I increased my pedal because I like that feeling of G force when you first hit that uphill section, I didn't mention that it is also a uphill curve. I must have been doing 30 MPH when it happened! Just went into the turn, bike leaning, G force feeling , tire squeeling, Black walnut balls on the ground! Can you picture it? Front wheel hit the walnut, heard a loud pop! Front wheel stopped turning all at once, I went down as if I was body slammed! It was just Pow and Boom! No chance of getting the arms in front of me! My chest and shoulder hit first, did not slide, so it felt like my nipple was beeing ripped off! Then my shoulder caught on the road and I flipped and rolled to a stop! I felt like I was sliding forever before the flip and roll! I sat up and looked for my bike! Got up and made my way to it, did a quick look over it, straightened out the front wheel, half of the latex tube was out of the tire and wrapped around the fork, it was split in half, the tire was flipped inside out and wedged between the brake and rim. Its amazing what adrenaline will do, I didn't even look myself over ! The bike was totally inspected and doled over. Then I went to take a step to get myself and bike off of the path , and fell over in pain, arm stopped working, my knee was showing white stuff, no skin to be seen, Chest (nipple) was screaming! I laid there for a minute, then summoned up my strenght and got us off of the path. Called the wife, laid right there until she came and got me. when I got home I looked over the bike again, took some asprin and called off from work. That night I decided from now on "I WILL WEAR A HELMET)!!!!
but you didnt injure your head at all. the helmet wouldnt have helped your knee arm or nipple. btwI always wear my helmet and gloves.
Old 01-10-13, 11:29 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Finally broke down and got a helmet because USCF races and USTS triathlons required them.
Since then, I've snapped, crushed or otherwise dented 4 helmets and woken up in the hospital once with double-vision that last for 11 nervous day, so thanks to the USCF & USTS!
Old 01-10-13, 12:36 PM
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Finally broke down and got a helmet because USCF races and USTS triathlons required them.
Since then, I've snapped, crushed or otherwise dented 4 helmets and woken up in the hospital once with double-vision that last for 11 nervous day, so thanks to the USCF & USTS!

You make helmets look cool.

.... Back to the thread.
I was an on/off helmet user, until one day while in a hurry I threw my backpack on, poured my coffee into my spillproof coffee mug, and grabbed the Miyata and jetted off. I rounded the first two corners and promptly got out of the saddle and that is when it happened. While leaning over my drops in a full sprint the chain stopped spinning but my legs were still pushing and the rear wheel began to lift.

The next thing I remember is being upside down, the bike tires landing sideways in a thump-thump and peering into the next lane watching my spillproof coffee mug (still in the cage) bounces like a football.

Happened so fast, I had no chance to protect my head. A few conversations with my wife which skirt the edges of HIPAA, that put the final nails in the "helmet/no helmet" coffin.

Oh, and I just got hit by a truck yesterday and my helmet made impact into the side of the truck bed. I am alive. Gotta be a plus!
Old 01-10-13, 12:52 PM
Hendricks97

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wore a helmet periodically when almost 3 months ago, 3 miles from my house, a car hit me from behind at full speed cracking 4 ribs, fracturing one vertebrae and shattering another vertebrae. If it wasnt for my helmet, I would be dead plain and simple. My head hit the roof of the car first (major dent in the back of the helmet) then I flew forward and hit the road (cracked the helmet on the side and another major dent in the front). Im not back on the bike yet, but when I do, I wont be caught without a helmet and it will be the same model Giro that saved my life.
Old 01-10-13, 12:54 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendricks97
I wore a helmet periodically when almost 3 months ago, 3 miles from my house, a car hit me from behind at full speed cracking 4 ribs, fracturing one vertebrae and shattering another vertebrae. If it wasnt for my helmet, I would be dead plain and simple. My head hit the roof of the car first (major dent in the back of the helmet) then I flew forward and hit the road (cracked the helmet on the side and another major dent in the front). Im not back on the bike yet, but when I do, I wont be caught without a helmet and it will be the same model Giro that saved my life.
Mine was also a Giro. Bells fit better, but Giro is battle tested. Heal well.
Old 01-10-13, 01:56 PM
Gege-Bubu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crack in my first helmet happened, it made me get another one.

XK8V9385 by Genna B, on Flickr
Old 01-10-13, 02:50 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diegomayra
You make helmets look cool.
He even makes riding in a tri look cool.
Old 01-10-13, 02:53 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
<<< That brain bucket in my profile picture is a $30 Bell Solar. Just a bit more than the cost of new bar tape. It's the second one I've owned. The first one did what it was designed to do, crack instead of my noggin. I like it better than my $100 Spesh Propero.
Old 01-10-13, 04:13 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
Marianne Vos rides with one, too.
yum.

oh yeah... I wear one because I purchased a bike.

Last edited by MikeyBoyAz; 01-10-13 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 05:23 PM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my daughters started riding, I insisted that they wore helmets, and it seemed hypocritical not to wear one myself. It's probably saved my life 3-4 times in the 20 years since.
Old 01-10-13, 05:27 PM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apoZ
I'm a neurosurgeon. Then you know why.
My neighbor teaches neuroanatomy at a med school. He rides without a helmet and lets his kids do the same. I want to kick him in the @ss sometimes.
Old 01-11-13, 05:31 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
As an adult in riding in NJ I always wore a helmet riding. The very best story I have to share that made my choice clearly to correct one was when a buddy of mine & I were riding mt bikes and he wacked his head on a low branch in the trail.....wack...helmet spit into half almost knocked it out. He was ok.
Old 01-11-13, 09:43 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
Genius
No kidding, eh? Like buying life insurance after you're dead.
Old 01-11-13, 12:57 PM
lazyeye

Bikes: Giant, Anyroad 2, DB Podium 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the early 90's Oregon passed a law that said anyone under 16 had to wear a helmet. My parents got me a helmet. Good thing too because I crashed pretty awesomely on the BMX track a few times and cracked my helmet (instead of my head).
Always worn one since and it probably saved my noggin' the last time I got hit by an SUV and went down.
Old 01-11-13, 02:17 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't looked at most of the replies to this thread yet so I apologize if it's been said a few times already.

I got on a bike. I have had more skin cancer than I can shake a stick at som covering my head is very important to me, and while I'm covering my bean I might as well add something that may help protect me in a fall or collision.
Old 01-11-13, 03:40 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
No kidding, eh? Like buying life insurance after you're dead.
It's like cardiovascular health, most Americans don't care about what their diet until they suffer a stroke or become diagnosed with diabetes (or someone who actually matters to them does). You don't know what you had until you lose it.

Last edited by buffalowings; 01-11-13 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 05:51 PM
soccerpig70

Bikes: 2011 giant defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had it from the minute i started riding. My kids wear them even on their little push scooters. I was riding with a buddy who had much more experience on his bike than me and he went down in front of me. After missing him and then getting back to be sure he was ok we both noticed his helmet. cracked in the back. without that im not sure he would be with us today. Look you can replace bikes and all the components but the last time i checked you cant replace your life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.