Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike collection display and workshop ideas

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike collection display and workshop ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 08:07 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 38 Posts
I've always tried to keep a simple clean line showing the evolution of my bike collection. From the earliest of track racing to the latest - left to right. There was another 70 or so bikes I just didn't have the room to display so I tried to keep it simple with these few.

Now I've sold my house and most of this collection is gone with about 40 bikes remaining. I've already set up another room of track racing and now I'm also working on how to display my circus trick bike collection (1900 to present .. pics soon)

I also have over 100 jerseys from the 6-Day races (with the numbers on the back as the blue ROKADO jersey in the photo). Not sure how to display that collection showing 100 yrs evolution of jerseys .. and also dozens of 6-Day posters. There's never enough space!!!

Old 04-04-24, 09:21 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 271 Posts
Just showed my fiance iab's, jamesdak's, and 1oldtrackie's collections.
And she marveled at them and said I could bring my other ones in from the garage.
You all sure own some amazing collections and mancaves. Startling and jaw-dropping.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-04-24, 02:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked 6,421 Times in 3,697 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Just showed my fiance iab's, jamesdak's, and 1oldtrackie's collections.
And she marveled at them and said I could bring my other ones in from the garage.
You all sure own some amazing collections and mancaves. Startling and jaw-dropping.
You need to get to the alter before she comes to her senses.
Old 04-04-24, 04:30 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 271 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
You need to get to the alter before she comes to her senses.
She probably consents to it to get me to the alter!
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-04-24, 05:03 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 395 Posts
She probably consents to it to get me to the alter!
That's what I thought. But, I didn't want to say it out loud.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 04-04-24, 06:00 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 395 Posts
Sorry to go off topic, but this talk of fiancés and their boyfriend's toys reminded me of this story.

In the mid 70s, my friend sold his '69 GTO so he could get his girlfriend an engagement ring. After about 35 years of marriage, they are taking a walk and spot a '69 GTO. With a straight face she told him: "You know. You should've kept the car."
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 04-04-24, 07:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
Sorry to go off topic, but this talk of fiancés and their boyfriend's toys reminded me of this story.

In the mid 70s, my friend sold his '69 GTO so he could get his girlfriend an engagement ring. After about 35 years of marriage, they are taking a walk and spot a '69 GTO. With a straight face she told him: "You know. You should've kept the car."
when shopping for an engagement ring in 1981, the jewelry store sales rep stated it would be a good investment. I told the rep and the nearby staff, this is a symbol, it is NOT an investment.
marriage lasted about 5 years, a year later my then ex stated that she was only offered $150. for the diamond. I laughed. She bought a second and had them set as a pair of earrings.

the second and final wife was sensible, we bought a house. I did have One Off Titanium make us two wedding rings.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-06-24, 09:48 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Space is an undefined quantity, how much do you have, how much do you need etc. Experience tells us that no matter how much space you have you will fill it up and still need more. Good luck on your quest.

Okay. You win.

Frankly, a lot of us wish we could have the impressive space like this. Wow.
Likes For Writenride:
Old 04-07-24, 12:34 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Writenride
Okay. You win.

Frankly, a lot of us wish we could have the impressive space like this. Wow.
It's even more impressive in person.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-07-24, 04:14 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Eric F,

what is that good looking black bike on the wall with the down tube shifters?

Mike
Old 04-07-24, 08:43 PM
Cissell

Bikes: Garozzo, Trek, Austro-Daimler, Gios, Pelizzoli, Cannondale, Colnago, Coppi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts

Here’s my little, but arguably intensive setup. I carefully designed it and had it built as a small shop centered around the width of a single piece of 3/4” plywood. No kidding. I wanted it cozy and practical, and only large enough to be able to work on a bike, house my related bike tool (many are Campagnolo), including general tools for working on my vehicles, house, appliances, etc. as well.

Small encourages neatness, I feel. Clutter and a lot of availability in space only encourages getting more and more stuff, which in my mind, leads to having an excess that can result in one cannot being able to adequately care for in the larger picture. Then, neglect steps in usually.

And for myself anyway, a more diminutive area in general is just nice, and offers an intimacy of sorts.

Anyway, all the walls in this entire out-building are split-faced cinder-block, with an ample storage room directly above that shop area, via a short staircase (accessed on the right).The shop itself is next to, and integrated with the (two-car) carport. (No garage here, so there’s NO temptation to eventually use such as a ‘storage’ facility!) The exterior of the structure is entirely brick facade, so it looks exactly like the main house right next to it. Ha!

I also wanted my shop to have it reflect my longstanding passion of 1970s and 1980s vintage Italian road bicycles, and some of their associated paraphernalia which I have carefully accumulated over these four decades of road cycling.

Last edited by Cissell; 04-08-24 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-08-24, 04:58 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 407 Posts
^^^^^^^^^. NO WAY that work bench stays that clean, huh? Great layout but the Universe will not allow such a clean work bench. I mean……

I’d have to spend a week, full time with two industrial dumpsters and a leaf blower and even then…….

Well done! I like the bench top “wings” at both corners. Handy.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 04-08-24, 08:22 AM
Cissell

Bikes: Garozzo, Trek, Austro-Daimler, Gios, Pelizzoli, Cannondale, Colnago, Coppi

Thanks!

Well, I’m kind of a neat-freak about stuff, so yes, after I do any bench work, I typically tidy-up afterwards. Always have been.

The ‘wing’ treatment on the bench top was by necessity. In able to readily reach over and access the electrical outlets, I needed a few less inches between me, so, I fashioned a pattern, traced it, and cut away that central aspect (with a gentle radius) to better facilitate that dynamic.

One nifty feature about that plywood surface is when I spec’d the work space, I wanted the top to ‘float’, without visible support or cumbersome legs, so there is a set of those cinder blocks underneath, protruding out a tad, to give the tabletop something robust to sit on. Super sturdy!

That horizontal board support underneath the front is there to prevent any sagging in the middle zone. By the way, that Campy tagline graphic on it was one I digitized, and had cut as a vinyl stencil, then spray-painted the logo and phrase directly onto the board’s surface. I was a graphic designer in a previous life, and as a result, most of the bicycle branding signage in the images were generated by myself, as well.

Note the ‘Campagnolo’ logo floating directly under the shop light fixture. This was another aspect I had digitized and cut out on a CNC type table at work. It is about 1” thick, medium-blue plastic material (an extremely durable, UV resistant composite media that is frequently used to fabricate outdoor, large playground pieces from) and as you can see, offers a nicely dimensional focal point above my work surface.

Pretty cool, eh?! Love all things (vintage) Campy! Ha!

A couple of other, (vintage ‘80s Italian) bicycles are hanging behind me in the photo shoot, and a few more up in the (attic) storage space. That Cannondale featured there is one that now belongs to my son, but am keeping it kinda handy and quick to grab, whenever he pays a visit so we can go on rides together.

Last edited by Cissell; 04-08-24 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typos
Likes For Cissell:
Old 04-08-24, 03:54 PM
Cissell

Thought you folks would get a kick outta my shop entrance…!
Old 04-09-24, 12:00 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Similar concept I use but made with recycled parts and few dollars in plumbing bits from hardware store.

Brilliant!
Old 04-14-24, 06:49 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Originally Posted by Cissell

Here’s my little, but arguably intensive setup. I carefully designed it and had it built as a small shop centered around the width of a single piece of 3/4” plywood. No kidding. I wanted it cozy and practical, and only large enough to be able to work on a bike, house my related bike tool (many are Campagnolo), including general tools for working on my vehicles, house, appliances, etc. as well.

Small encourages neatness, I feel. Clutter and a lot of availability in space only encourages getting more and more stuff, which in my mind, leads to having an excess that can result in one cannot being able to adequately care for in the larger picture. Then, neglect steps in usually.

And for myself anyway, a more diminutive area in general is just nice, and offers an intimacy of sorts.

Anyway, all the walls in this entire out-building are split-faced cinder-block, with an ample storage room directly above that shop area, via a short staircase (accessed on the right).The shop itself is next to, and integrated with the (two-car) carport. (No garage here, so there’s NO temptation to eventually use such as a ‘storage’ facility!) The exterior of the structure is entirely brick facade, so it looks exactly like the main house right next to it. Ha!

I also wanted my shop to have it reflect my longstanding passion of 1970s and 1980s vintage Italian road bicycles, and some of their associated paraphernalia which I have carefully accumulated over these four decades of road cycling.
I think I can smell that place from here! Is that medicinal?

No, seriously, where are your bikes stored?
Old 04-14-24, 06:54 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Originally Posted by iab

That’s really clean, man, Herman Miller Eames to lie back and admire your day? I bet you have a cool sound system, too. Play records much?
Old 04-14-24, 07:24 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 278 Posts
For those in a hurry to move and store bikes, I suggest starting with the minimum, using ceiling hooks on studs. Bikes hanged vertically occupy the least amount of space.

After the bikes are saved and safe, only then I would move onto what I would do with them long-term, for display, etc.

I also list everything I own for sale. Bikes that I "don't want" to sell, I set insane prices and don't repost the ads. Surprisingly, about 1 or 2 bite per year and I am not upset when a buyer has been hooked and fished.

I have let go some irreplaceable bikes, but I'd rather be selling my bikes while I am around to decide how to sell them, rather than someone else doing it for me without my consent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
estate-sale-score.jpg (31.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 04-15-24, 06:14 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 4,407 Times in 2,094 Posts
This is the shed. I don't really care for how close everything is spaced. This is South Florida, so it is also too humid in here and it's not connected to electrical so has no climate control or active venting.

As such, I try to keep only the Bike Share Museum in it, for these shared bikes are more adept at surviving through less-than-ideal climates.

This is the indoor museum. There's no drywall, this is 1940's CMU (concrete block).

The wall brackets holding the bike up were bought off of eBay, said to be for a floating bathroom vanity. They're thin stainless but strong enough, and are installed with expansion bolts and shims. I need to find another set of these brackets, but they're unbranded.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-15-24 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-15-24, 06:39 AM
Cissell

I think I can smell that place from here! Is that medicinal?

No, seriously, where are your bikes stored?
Ha!

A few bikes are here in the shop. Two behind me in the shot so you can’t see them, one hanging there on the right, and a few more hanging upstairs in the storage area.
Old 04-15-24, 11:51 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked 3,814 Times in 1,412 Posts
I bet you have a cool sound system, too. Play records much?
Sorry, no. I went fully digital in 1986 and haven't looked back.
Old 04-15-24, 12:20 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 1,431 Posts
Not all heroes wear capes.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-15-24, 12:22 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
This is the shed. I don't really care for how close everything is spaced. This is South Florida, so it is also too humid in here and it's not connected to electrical so has no climate control or active venting.

As such, I try to keep only the Bike Share Museum in it, for these shared bikes are more adept at surviving through less-than-ideal climates.

-Kurt
How did you even get the Schwinn up that high?? I see no provisions for a crane

EDIT: Seeing the photo up close now, it looks like a Paramount. And here I thought it was a Continental or something - the punchline was totally lost!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-16-24 at 06:42 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-16-24, 12:14 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 3,005 Times in 990 Posts
Storage and display for me are all about utility. Grab-and-Go bikes that get ridden regularly are in the garage in Woodstock and guest bikes, projects-in-waiting, and fosters are in the basement.

Top row: Falcon, Paramount, Mercian; bottom row: 72 PX-10, Mrs. ascherer's Moto Grand Jubile, Raleigh Pro.

Basement cold storage:

From left: Shogun, Rockhopper, Bikes Direct Dawes, Philips, Ladies' Sports in green and blue, 1971 PX-10. Technically two of these belong to two of my sons but they have other bikes so I consider them part of the fleet.
One of those sons and his fiance stashed their newer bikes in the basement for the winter:

Mrs. ascherer's Lotus is inside on a trainer, and my International is in our NYC apartment (actually it's parked in dedicated bike space in my office building as I type, today was my first bike commute of the season). My workbench is in the garage, it spans two car widths and is usually covered with projects. No pics yet, but these photos are the nudge I needed to pull an unused pegboard off the wall in one of my sheds and move it to my bench so I can hang my bike tools like the big boys do.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 04-16-24, 07:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 4,407 Times in 2,094 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
How did you even get the Schwinn up that high?? I see no provisions for a crane

EDIT: Seeing the photo up close now, it looks like a Paramount. And here I thought it was a Continental or something - the punchline was totally lost!
I was about to say that I used the mechanical advantage of the Huffy hanging to its left to bend the beam to the ground so it would reach the hook. (The white saddle and blue streamers are a Huffy Mainliner balloon tire boat anchor hanging outside the FOV of the lens).

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.