Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Decent looking fenders for larger tires

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-20, 04:41 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts

Just built up a new frame and it is almost complete. One thing I neglected that I discovered last night on my ride home in the cold rain was fenders. I am looking for something that looks good and will cover a 2.2" tire (frame can handle 2.8). If it is easily removeable would be a plus and fairly rugged. The bike will be used in all weather commuting as well as touring off road during the warmer weather. The rack and paniers are off it now replaced with bikepacking bags. One type I looked at was Trek Townie fenders that supposedly fit up to 2.25 tires but they don't look very strong.

Apologies for the blurry photo it was raining and I didnt have my glasses on.

** I was just looking at some SKS fenders and was wondering if the only difference between the Longboards and Bluemels was the length.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 11-02-20 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 07:34 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
You didn't include a price qualifier but Honjo produces aluminum (resilient) and sexy looking fenders. SimWorks markets them in America. There may be other vendors. They are pricey. I recently bought a Flat 65 pair to hang soon. https://www.sim.works/collections/fe...works-by-honjo
Old 11-02-20, 08:12 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Longer is always better when it comes to fenders particularly over the front wheel.

Aluminum is always better since they're more rigid and make less noise.
Old 11-02-20, 09:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
You didn't include a price qualifier but Honjo produces aluminum (resilient) and sexy looking fenders. SimWorks markets them in America. There may be other vendors. They are pricey. I recently bought a Flat 65 pair to hang soon. https://www.sim.works/collections/fe...works-by-honjo
Here they are, and they are spectacular. Though mounting is a bit involved, so you won't want to remove and replace them often. But this is unnecessary, since they are quiet and secure.

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Longer is always better when it comes to fenders particularly over the front wheel.

Aluminum is always better since they're more rigid and make less noise.
Add one of these to whatever front fender you purchase, in order to block spray from coming off the front tire and landing on your feet, ankles, chainrings and chain.

Between the fenders and the mudflap, you'll spend a bit of dough. But compared to the short and shabby plastic fenders you will find for $50 at a bike shop, these will actually keep you and your bike much cleaner and will not be annoyingly rattly and shaky.
Old 11-02-20, 11:08 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
SKS and Planet Bike sell full fenders that are less expensive. Only problem given your thread title is that they also look less expensive. OTOH I've folded up a front fender eating a stick and the Longboard handled it as designed, breaking loose at the stay and folding up and not wrecking me. Dunno what a Honjo would have done, but at the very least it would have been much more expensive to fix

Rene Herse blog has a recent writeup why he thinks Honjos are so great. https://www.renehersecycles.com/my-pbp-bike-fenders/
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-02-20 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 12:46 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Here they are, and they are spectacular. Though mounting is a bit involved, so you won't want to remove and replace them often. But this is unnecessary, since they are quiet and secure.

Add one of these to whatever front fender you purchase, in order to block spray from coming off the front tire and landing on your feet, ankles, chainrings and chain.

Between the fenders and the mudflap, you'll spend a bit of dough. But compared to the short and shabby plastic fenders you will find for $50 at a bike shop, these will actually keep you and your bike much cleaner and will not be annoyingly rattly and shaky.

My front is a Brooks and the rear is a VO, the VO is the better mud flap but the Brooks matches the rest of my cockpit better. If I were going to go back and do it again I’d go VO on both and I might still replace the front.
Old 11-02-20, 02:00 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Here they are, and they are spectacular. Add one of these to whatever front fender you purchase,
Thanks for this /\ /\ .. I have now placed my order for XMAS. I want a very nice set to put on my classic for Eroica 2021(whether they officially hold it of not) but I feel they are far too nice to go on this bike to get torn up. I feel $75 - $100 is about as much as I want to waste for the off roadie so I am leaning hard toward the VO fenders.