Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

thoughts on winter tights

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 08:17 PM
thesongs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Every Monday and Tuesday I do a long commute 74 km each day. Now that it's getting colder here, one of the rides (Mon I start off at 6 AM, Tuesday at 5 AM), I decided to wear a thin long underwear underneath my tights. It killed my speed for quite a lot. So, now I'm thinking of getting some winter gear. I noticed that there is a whole lot of price range, I'm wondering what the difference is between something that's like 50 US$ and something that's like 180 US$ (hopefully from someone that owns both). I think perhaps the coldest I'm willing to ride at is about -4 C (24.8 F). Any thoughts and recommendations about the right balance between price and quality would be welcome~!
Old 11-12-20, 08:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
That's a long commute!

I've found wearing tights reduces my speed a bit, somewhere around 1/2 mph. Can't help you with brands, as most of mine are Performance, and I'm shy about recommending them after they went bankrupt and closed down for a while.

FWIW, I found I need two or three thicknesses to get down to 25F, in roughly 10 degree (F) increments. From 50-40F (10-5C?), knee warmers or light polypro tights work fine. Below 40F down to freezing, medium weight, and below freezing, I need tights with pile or fleece -- and these heavier tights slow me down more. You may be able to get by with two sets if you can keep pedaling fairly hard throughout your ride and generating body heat in your legs.
Old 11-12-20, 09:57 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
As a longtime NY'er I don't think 24*F is particularly cold. I'm sure I've been out in 0*F a time or two, and made no particular clothing adjustments. Pair of tights and I'm good. Out here on the West Coast 28*F is about as cold as it gets. I'm more worried about ice on the bridges than the cold itself. Just to be helpful I can offer that IME tights for runners work as well, and are much cheaper than tights for cyclists. Even without chamois, cycling tights seem to run a price premium that I don't understand.

Last Christmas my wife got me some winter cycling pants by 4UCycling and they are amazing. They aren't tights but they have ankle zippers for some reason. They are lined, and the outer is windproof. I find them pretty waterproof as well. I don't think she paid a lot for them. I usually run a 'Large' in everything, but these had to be 3XL to fit me, so they run very small. Make sure to follow their size/weight chart. A person could easily wear a pair of tights under these and be good to -50*F. Well, I would be good to -50F. YMMV.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-12-20, 10:49 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I've tried a few, although nothing in the $80+ range. My Novara tights that I only wear when it's below freezing (especially since I commute in the velomobile when it's cold now) are a little loose, but still tighter than typical slacks, are about perfect. The slight looseness keeps the wool layer (which isn't stretchy) from slowing me down. I have some thinner tights (nike) that are tight, and those feel like they are slower.

I don't really need the windproof anymore, just the warmth.
Old 11-12-20, 11:10 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
As a longtime NY'er I don't think 24*F is particularly cold. I'm sure I've been out in 0*F a time or two, and made no particular clothing adjustments. Pair of tights and I'm good. Out here on the West Coast 28*F is about as cold as it gets. I'm more worried about ice on the bridges than the cold itself. Just to be helpful I can offer that IME tights for runners work as well, and are much cheaper than tights for cyclists. Even without chamois, cycling tights seem to run a price premium that I don't understand.

Last Christmas my wife got me some winter cycling pants by 4UCycling and they are amazing. They aren't tights but they have ankle zippers for some reason. They are lined, and the outer is windproof. I find them pretty waterproof as well. I don't think she paid a lot for them. I usually run a 'Large' in everything, but these had to be 3XL to fit me, so they run very small. Make sure to follow their size/weight chart. A person could easily wear a pair of tights under these and be good to -50*F. Well, I would be good to -50F. YMMV.
This is my experience too. I will wear generic running tights over my bibs.
Old 11-12-20, 11:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
One advantage of many cycling tights is that they double up the wind protection and insulation in front with less in back for cooling.

I have 2 pair, and old Gore pair that is tight fitting and stretchy. Windblock front but nowhere near waterproof. Very comfortable, I'll only wear them to about 40F. (I'm long and skinny so I need more clothing than most.) The other is Specialized, Looser fit, Near waterproof and total windblock front. Good Portland rain tights. with shorts and thermals under, I've ridden them down to below 20F but would go as far as your commute at those temps. (Again, skinny me.)

Another consideration - durability. I don't know the running tights but I cannot imagine the crotches last anywhere near as long as good cycling tights. You'll be riding 2000 km this winter over the 4 coldest months by my quick math. Good cycling tights should go for several years. Running tights might not be decent come March.

That said, I did a 25 mile round trip commute into Boston an entire winter with no cycling specific clothes at all years ago. 5 days a week, No car. Public transportation wold have taken me two hours and gotten me to work an hour late. I was the guy who was 5 minutes late on a snow day when almost nobody else made it in. One week was -5F when I left the house. First two miles - gentle downhill. (Carefully selected) street clothes. LL Bean's boots, mitts. Newspaper. A lot of tricks. Comfortable all winter save at mile 2 that cold week!

And yes, that clothing slows you down! Better clothes less. Not enough clothes? You might be really fast, but don't flat! (I find that if I am not warm enough, I cannot get up to speed and generate that heat but that is me, not everybody. Also getting more so as I get older.)

Edit: I forgot what I paid for my tights. More than $100. The Gore tights probably most of $150 15 years ago. I don't regret that at all. The Gore is one of the most comfortable pieces of cycling clothing I've ever owned. The Specialized have seen a few "epic" rides. Black Friday rides into the coast range in Pacific winter storms.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-12-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-13-20, 11:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by thesongs
Every Monday and Tuesday I do a long commute 74 km each day. Now that it's getting colder here, one of the rides (Mon I start off at 6 AM, Tuesday at 5 AM), I decided to wear a thin long underwear underneath my tights. It killed my speed for quite a lot. So, now I'm thinking of getting some winter gear. I noticed that there is a whole lot of price range, I'm wondering what the difference is between something that's like 50 US$ and something that's like 180 US$ (hopefully from someone that owns both). I think perhaps the coldest I'm willing to ride at is about -4 C (24.8 F). Any thoughts and recommendations about the right balance between price and quality would be welcome~!
I doubt that it was the extra layers that killed your speed. It didn’t help but winter riding has always been slower in my experience (40 years of commuting on basically the same route). The cold itself has an effect on your muscles that slows you down. Our muscles work better closer to the savannah temperatures our monkey ancestors lived in.

That said, I have many pairs of tights. Most of them are Pearl Izumi which are quite excellent. They are warm even down to -6°C (20°F) and endurable to about -10°C (about 15°F). They have a fleece on the inside that does an excellent job of trapping heat. I have waist high tights which are very good to about the freezing point but below that, I prefer bib tights. I’ve found that bibs trap heat around my chest better which allows me ride down to lower temperatures.

I have one set of Pearl Izumi Amfib tights but, honestly, they seldom get used. They are fantastic for those -10°C temperatures but if the temperature gets up to freezing point, they are just too warm. The area where I live can see huge swings in temperature...on the order of 40 to 50°F...on any give day. 50°F is too cold to ride without tights but way too hot for the Amfibs. I can pour the sweat out of my shoes when that happens. I save those for days when I’m fairly certain that it’s going to be cold all day.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-13-20, 01:05 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Our weather here in Nor Cal just dropped from low 70's to the mid 50's. I start my commute at about 8:30 am and it is in the mid 40's. Last Sunday I bit the bullet and went down to REI and got a pair of hybrid pants. Basically a looser fitting cycling tight. I wear padded liners underneath and change at work. They have been perfect! Never get cold and don't break a sweat. So I reckon for 40-60 degree weather with wind, I'm covered. Happily we don't get too much colder than that in my little corner of the world.
These are the pants:

https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-14-20, 06:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm

I tried these on a recommendation here. Maybe it was yours. I've worn them once. They are so hot, I'm not sure if I'll wear them again. My legs don't need as much protection as other parts. I'm keeping the 4ucycling pants in case I need them. I'm living in the country for the pandemic, and it's colder here than in the city. They may come in handy. I'm still trying to solve my hands and feet problem. They are basically overpants, kind of like ski pants but not as bulky. They definitely work but I'm a hot body especially in my legs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-20, 07:13 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Our weather here in Nor Cal just dropped from low 70's to the mid 50's. I start my commute at about 8:30 am and it is in the mid 40's. Last Sunday I bit the bullet and went down to REI and got a pair of hybrid pants. Basically a looser fitting cycling tight. I wear padded liners underneath and change at work. They have been perfect! Never get cold and don't break a sweat. So I reckon for 40-60 degree weather with wind, I'm covered. Happily we don't get too much colder than that in my little corner of the world.
These are the pants:

https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Former No Cal resident here: That's considered "freezing" weather for Californians. I'm in the Midwest and will settle for those temps these days lol. Temps have been in the 30-40's this week and I've been wearing thin liners underneath my bike tights and they've kept me warm during my work commute. My morning commute yesterday morning was in the teens and my toes were semi-frozen so I may have to put on wool socks or shoe covers as temps continue to dip.