Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Old 11-26-20, 05:50 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi

I feel a ban coming on.
I wouldn't own a Trump jersey because it is fugly.

But a bike and a jersey represent different things. The bike is merely a tool, a jersey represents something. But that is even a gray area. Bartali worn fascist-Italy jerseys yet was no friend of the fascists.
Likes For iab:
Old 11-26-20, 06:45 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3865 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Bartali worn fascist-Italy jerseys yet was no friend of the fascists.
If you have Prime Video, the documentary, My Italian Secret: the Forgotten Heroes (2014) is available.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-26-20, 07:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If you have Prime Video, the documentary, My Italian Secret: the Forgotten Heroes (2014) is available.
I'm a fan.

Basement45 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 11-26-20, 08:14 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I admire the French for going their own way as far as engineering and style goes, after all they invented the metric system and Paris where the world goes to get their freak on.
The Italians gave us art, design, Enzo, Ernesto, Tullio, and some really good looking suits.
England proved you really can have world domination ran from a small island. The home of James Bond 007, Austin Powers, and the real Mini Cooper. First they invented the industrial revolution then they invented the bodge.
The United States had a pair of bicycle mechanics named Orville and Wilbur that built the first controllable airplane and possibly invented the kludge (see bodge) then we went to the moon.
So in the grand scheme of things we all accomplished this together and in some significant way the bicycle helped us along.
I love all bicycles.

: Mike
Old 11-26-20, 08:29 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
The closest thing I can think of: I'd love to own one of the vintage Basque coop brands if possible, because I extremely support worker co-ops.

Also it's more attainable than anything Soviet.

Last edited by sheddle; 11-26-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 08:42 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
That is all well and good, but do not, repeat do not, drink with Australians.
+1
Especially at a party with British Royal Marines and Australians.
I don’t even know what we were drinking. It didn’t really matter.
It was kind of blue. We called it Aqua Velva.
Old 11-26-20, 09:03 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Nope.
My Paramount frame was brazed in Chicago by a woman, using English tubing, then fitted with Italian, French, British, American, Japanese and Swiss-made components.

Last edited by Hudson308; 12-20-20 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 12:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I'll say that culture influences my bike purchases and interests, sure.

I got into c&v due to my interest in the globalization of manufacturing within the industry. Japan was a major manufacturer of goods when i was growing up and so ive always geeked on road bikes from Japan from the 70s and 80s.

its really simple and nothing more complex.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-27-20, 12:15 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Never gave it a thought. I just ride.
Cars too.
Old 11-27-20, 01:33 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Politics and nationalism? No.

Culture? This may potentially make me interested in certain manufacturers and stylistic choices, but would never steer me away from any bike.

I’ve grown up very close to Japanese culture and lived in Japan, so some things about Japanese bikes strike me as interesting in a way they wouldn’t with other bikes, but I don’t have a thing for Japanese bikes in general.

The mid century French randonneurs are another instance in which culture is intrinsically tied to the bicycles and makes some things about them exclusively interesting.
Old 11-27-20, 06:15 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I like that different countries/cultures had different approaches and I like learning about those differences. Currently, I am into English cycling because a few years ago my wife brought home a Raleigh Super Course frame and a box full of parts she found at an estate sale. Recently, that led me to the Rough Stuff Fellowship and I am now the proud owner of the book they published. I admire their desire to ride wherever they want without fear of obstacles. If it requires using a rope to move the bikes down a cliff, so be it. It helps that they just look so darn ordinary in most of the pictures. Just a bunch of folks out for a ride.

A few months ago a search on "531" on eBay led me to a RIH frame that looked interesting. I did not end up buying it but I learned a lot about Dutch bikes and Dutch bike culture in the process of researching the frame. I continue to have an interest in Dutch bikes that may turn into a frame purchase in the future. I really have no idea which culture I'll learn about next.
Old 11-27-20, 10:01 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Pound for pound the Japanese and Korean businessmen I used to work with were unexcelled.
Kanpai!
Best, Ben

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-27-20 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 10:57 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I just watched the Diego Maradona (rip) documentary on HBO. The fanaticism gets as ugly as you would ever want to see. I started to question the two Italians in my small collection, which seems ridiculous. I wouldn't hesitate to drive a German car, for example. Maybe cycling is a more tolerant beast compared to futbol.?
I haven't seen that documentary, so can I ask what it was that disturbed you? If anything, Napoli is usually on the receiving end of it (and I suspect they do sort of enjoy it that way), so what was going on? Some Juve supporters upset that Maradona was way better, and more appealing, than Platini?

Originally Posted by Shrevvy
Growing up, the US/Soviet conflict was something that made a lasting imprint on me. Having a bike from that era and the other side of the conflict would be cool.
People, personalities, politics, etc have always influenced my collecting interests across several different collectibles.
For that same sort of reasoning and feel, but at a much easier price point, I bought a couple of Vostok (Bostok) watches. They are very cool in their own way, and you don't have to worry about losing or damaging them.

Originally Posted by seypat
No. Well, maybe culture. I tend to stay away from Italian bikes. They tend to be overly flashy, gaudy and loud. Maybe a reflection of the people and culture.
Yes, much better to wear your pajama pants and slippers to the local super-store, than to be perceived as flashy or gaudy, right? See what I did there? I kid, but perspective...

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
...a "Go Pre" t-shirt...
Whoah, you had an original "Go Pre" shirt? What are those worth these days? Did you get to see him run in the flesh?
Old 11-27-20, 11:03 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
The closest thing I can think of: I'd love to own one of the vintage Basque coop brands if possible, because I extremely support worker co-ops.

Also it's more attainable than anything Soviet.
Orbea is part of the Mondragon cooperative.
Old 11-27-20, 11:06 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I don't like to support Evil Geniuses that plot world domination, so I try to avoid Shimano, but not always successfully.
Likes For Sluggo:
Old 11-27-20, 11:31 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3865 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I haven't seen that documentary, so can I ask what it was that disturbed you? If anything, Napoli is usually on the receiving end of it (and I suspect they do sort of enjoy it that way), so what was going on? Some Juve supporters upset that Maradona was way better?
The mob, in-unison, racist chanting, for one. Later, the complete turn on Maradona after he beat the Italian team in the WC, to the point they tried to destroy him. I assume Fausto Coppi experienced it, too. Maybe to the point it led to his death. Just all rather disgusting behavior.
Old 11-27-20, 12:06 PM
3dvvitch 
Junior Wingnut

Bikes: 1988 Litespeed, some Lemond, Slingshot 650c, blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts
Nw US

I think it's interesting living in a state that had so much bicycle and component production going on just a few years ago- Klein, Softride, Control tech, Machine tech, Sandvik, TST. As such I think it's kind of neat to collect truly local bike stuff. In terms of geography, I don't feel any kind of way about US made bikes in general, that's too generic to be meaningful. But if I can drive half and hour to see the factory where something was made? That's interesting. I would LOVE to own a Halson Inversion fork some day specifically because I'm from Oregon originally.

As far as culture/politics, I​​​​​​ also do pay some attention to when bike brands claim to be for inclusion and whatnot but then support team riders or policies that actually hurt people or foster hostile exclusivity, so I absolutely avoid Trek for example, and have developed something like a begrudging respect for Specialized, with all of their funding support for cool accessibility organizations. And I always thought owning an Orbea would be interesting because of the whole Mondragon collective/cooperative association.
Old 11-27-20, 12:51 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I care about frame tubing quality and tire width capability, wider is better.
Old 11-27-20, 01:46 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
I'm anti-French because all the measurements are wierd and exclusive.

I'm pro-Japanese for compatibility, dependability, availability, and affordability.

Beyond that, nope. Just whatever's cool.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-27-20, 02:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Kanpai!
Best, Ben

Don't celebrate too much.
My boss (the CEO) made all the sales calls to Eastern Europe and swears the celebratory Vodka toasts were more numerous than sakei & liquor shots.
This was back in the '80s.
Old 11-27-20, 02:53 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Don't celebrate too much.
My boss (the CEO) made all the sales calls to Eastern Europe and swears the celebratory Vodka toasts were more numerous than sakei & liquor shots.
This was back in the '80s.
Nostrovia! and one more, for Mother Russia!
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-27-20, 03:05 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Thanks, all.

I was also thinking of Fausto Coppi. He went through a personal issue similar to Deigo Maradona that put him at odds with his country. I don't know much about it, but I wonder if he would have changed flags, given the opportunity.

Coppi was Northern, modern, sophisticated (for a bike racer), and secular. His great rival Gino Bartali was pretty much the opposite: traditional, parochial, overtly pious. Many of Bartali's rivals hated him, finding him narrow, ignorant, and suspicious with a tendency to renege on promises made. But a great many working class and rural Italians adored Bartali, considering him a proper Italian, while finding Coppi too cosmopolitan, too secular, not Italian enough.

But people are complicated. When push came to shove the worldly, modern Coppi risked life and limb by signing up for the Army, where he was captured by the British in North Africa and served out the war as a POW. Traditional, conservative, extremely Catholic Bartali risked life and limb in a different way, by acting as a courier for the Resistance and helping to deliver Jews by providing intelligence and fake documentation. Papers were hidden in his bike frame, and sometimes also in a small cart he pulled behind him. When stopped by the Fascists, he claimed to be in "training"; when he had the cart it was for "strength training." He may have hidden at least one Jewish family in his own house. Bartali didn't like to talk of his war exploits, and when asked would reply "These are things you did, and that's that."

And when the war was over and racing started back up Bartali was still parochial, pious, and suspicious, and Coppi was still modern, secular, and cosmopolitan. War and sports seem to bring out different things in different people.
Likes For sincos:
Old 11-27-20, 03:11 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Meant to add, to stay OT: I seem to favor French frames and Campag bits. Also Stronglight, Sun Tour, and Simplex. I don't think that's for political, cultural, or nationalist reasons though.
Old 11-27-20, 04:25 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Nostrovia! and one more, for Mother Russia!
Best, Ben
Nashunnal pereferrrencess in fermennntashunnnal cullllchure arrrrrr immmmmaterrrrialllll to Me.

edit:....... beer drinkers just get sloshed.

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-27-20 at 04:30 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 11-27-20, 06:04 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
The mob, in-unison, racist chanting, for one. Later, the complete turn on Maradona after he beat the Italian team in the WC, to the point they tried to destroy him. I assume Fausto Coppi experienced it, too. Maybe to the point it led to his death. Just all rather disgusting behavior.
Ok, I'll have to watch it before I can comment further. I'll only say that, as far as my personal experience goes, the narrative in Italy is that everyone in Napoli was rooting for Argentina to beat Italy in that game, because of Maradona. And the "notti magiche" of the summer of 1990 are still remembered fondly by all Italians, even those that couldn't have cared less about the sport.

Last edited by robertorolfo; 11-30-20 at 06:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.