Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2021 Trek Checkpoint

Old 02-15-20, 08:37 PM
ciclista tifoso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
2021 Trek Checkpoint

Anyone have any insight on any changes looming for the coming model year? I anticipate T47 to be standard across all models/versions, and also the potential for the same rear iso as the 2020 Domane, and perhaps more tire clearance.
(I read elsewhere that the Emonda may end up with similar changes, except with less max tire clearance, of course).
Old 02-15-20, 08:47 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Boost spacing.
Old 02-15-20, 08:50 PM
ciclista tifoso

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
perhaps i'm dense, but i'm not tracking the meaning of 'boost spacing'. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Old 02-15-20, 09:00 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Boost spacing is a mtb axle standard...15x110mm front, 12x148mm rear
Old 02-15-20, 09:03 PM
ciclista tifoso

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Ah, cool. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 02-15-20, 11:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Boost on gravel road bike? Seems like a change to change.
Are gravel road wheels not already stiff enough?
Old 02-15-20, 11:21 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ciclista tifoso

Anyone have any insight on any changes looming for the coming model year? I anticipate T47 to be standard across all models/versions, and also the potential for the same rear iso as the 2020 Domane, and perhaps more tire clearance.
(I read elsewhere that the Emonda may end up with similar changes, except with less max tire clearance, of course).
name change to Nomade
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 02-16-20, 01:38 PM
ciclista tifoso

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
ha, nicely done. A play on 'nomad' (and the insistence of Trek to name their bikes using anagrams of the same letters).

another option may be 'daemon'.
Likes For ciclista tifoso:
Old 02-16-20, 02:53 PM
jfranci3

Originally Posted by ciclista tifoso
ha, nicely done. A play on 'nomad' (and the insistence of Trek to name their bikes using anagrams of the same letters).

another option may be 'daemon'.
It’s not a play, it is the older spelling of Nomad -probably the more correct one. Daemon would be better given to the aero bike and Madone should be on the Emonda. https://www.bikeradar.com/features/trek-daemon/
Old 02-20-20, 01:48 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
name change to Nomade
@trek let's get this person paid!!!
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 02-20-20, 08:24 AM
jfranci3

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/nomad probably needs to get paid.
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 02-21-20, 03:48 PM
Emilio700

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Boost spacing would allow 700x45 with shorter chainstays and 2x compatibility. But I don't think CS length is that big a deal in this segment. Boost spacing would also mean no one's existing gravel/road wheels would fit.

I think the '21 Checkpoint will be more like the new Domane (which I have) : front Iso, rear Iso but probably not adjustable, DT storage, 2x & 700x42c /650b clearance, maybe semi-tucked cables.

Same 600 series as current bike, whereas the Domane SLR is the much costlier 700 series carbon. I would like to see a Pro Endurance geometry option for the next Checkpoint.

​​​​​​​
Old 02-21-20, 04:21 PM
ciclista tifoso

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
^^^^^
Yes, that seems to be probable. We'll find out for sure sometime in March, or whenever they usually release info on the coming year's models (unless there's a Trek dealer/insider here that can share any other hints in the meantime)
Old 04-26-20, 07:18 PM
EndUser2016

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can search the 2021 Checkpoint SL6 ... Australia had a listening ... i saw a US site with it a few weeks back but it is gone now ... they didn't list the bottom bracket or price $3520

hibike dot com trek-checkpoint-sl-6-28-gravel-bike-bike-carbon-blue-smoke-2021-p9230bb827ef7c81d120fe9b89d287ff5 ....listing in google took me too it but I cannot post links yet -_- so fill in the blanks to have a peak =)

still found it supposedly is BB90 and has GRX bits...

Last edited by EndUser2016; 04-26-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 07:28 PM
jfranci3

Originally Posted by EndUser2016
You can search the 2021 Checkpoint SL6 ... Australia had a listening ... i saw a US site with it a few weeks back but it is gone now ... they didn't list the bottom bracket or price $3520

hibike dot com trek-checkpoint-sl-6-28-gravel-bike-bike-carbon-blue-smoke-2021-p9230bb827ef7c81d120fe9b89d287ff5 ....listing in google took me too it but I cannot post links yet -_- so fill in the blanks to have a peak =)

thats the same same as the current frame. They are doing a new Emonda this year, so I doubt you’ll see a new CP till 22 or 23
Old 04-26-20, 08:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

thats the same same as the current frame. They are doing a new Emonda this year, so I doubt you’ll see a new CP till 22 or 23
Trek apparently isn't large enough to update 2 totally different drop bar bikes in the same year...
Old 04-26-20, 08:43 PM
jfranci3

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Trek apparently isn't large enough to update 2 totally different drop bar bikes in the same year...
not in the road line. They’ve typically done one a year.
Old 04-26-20, 09:51 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Superboost
Old 04-27-20, 08:20 AM
ciclista tifoso

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Lame that they didn't update the BB in the 2021 model. Reportedly they'll be updating this year's Emonda with T47, among other updates.
Old 04-27-20, 08:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

not in the road line. They’ve typically done one a year.
that was a bad attempt at me joking about how trek is large enough to update 2 drop bar models in the same year that are totally different from one another.
I just think its funny and would also think it drives potential business away since the gravel market is continually changing to where old design apparently isn't appealing to many in the crowd.
Old 04-27-20, 08:38 AM
jfranci3

that was a bad attempt at me joking about how trek is large enough to update 2 drop bar models in the same year that are totally different from one another.
I just think its funny and would also think it drives potential business away since the gravel market is continually changing to where old design apparently isn't appealing to many in the crowd.
The current frame launched 2019 MY, so 2021 would only be 3 MYs. Let trek recover some costs! :-)

To your argument-
Isnt appealing to whom? Trek and LBS is selling the hell out of them (Treks #1 seller?). What’s wrong with the current bike besides one bit that only folks on the internet care about? Trek is a mass market company, 99.995% of their potential customers are going to be delighted with BB90 and 45mm max tires; Trek is happy to let Rodeo take the other 5 customers.

BTW as bad as BB90 is, T47 isn’t going to make the problem go away. You’ve still got a bearing pressed into a shell. You’ve still got a metal part interfacing with a difficult to build carbon layup. isn’t Specialized OSBB basically the same thing? My OSBB failed in a year (500mi) of dry road and my bb90 Checkpoint is still smooth after 2500 miles of everything.

Last edited by jfranci3; 04-27-20 at 08:44 AM.
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 04-27-20, 08:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

The current frame launched 2019 MY, so 2021 would only be 3 MYs. Let trek recover some costs! :-)

To your argument-
Isnt appealing to whom? Trek and LBS is selling the hell out of them (Treks #1 seller?). What’s wrong with the current bike besides one bit that only folks on the internet care about? Trek is a mass market company, 99.995% of their potential customers are going to be delighted with BB90 and 45mm max tires; Trek is happy to let Rodeo take the other 5 customers.

BTW as bad as BB90 is, T47 isn’t going to make the problem go away. You’ve still got a bearing pressed into a shell. You’ve still got a metal part interfacing with a difficult to build carbon layup. isn’t Specialized OSBB basically the same thing? My OSBB failed in a year (500mi) of dry road and my bb90 Checkpoint is still smooth after 2500 miles of everything.
OK, so really- it was just a bad joke and I am not actually suggesting Trek needs to update the bike. I thought the current bike had been released mid'18, so it would already be 3 years, but regardless- it really was just a dumb joke about how they couldn't possibly update 2 drop bar models in the same year.

Is the small internet complaint you mention the tire clearance? If so, I don't know why only folks on the internet would care. Perhaps it seems that way because its the only easily accessible place for frustrstion/complaints to be seen by others?
I can't say one way or the other. I have 0 interest in a bike that can fit 45mm tires then can only fit 38mm tires, then can fit 40mm tires as long as its the brand's house brand. <--- that recap may or may not be totally accurate. If it isn't accurate, let's call it a bad joke too, mkay?
Old 04-27-20, 09:58 AM
EndUser2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so really- it was just a bad joke and I am not actually suggesting Trek needs to update the bike. I thought the current bike had been released mid'18, so it would already be 3 years, but regardless- it really was just a dumb joke about how they couldn't possibly update 2 drop bar models in the same year.

Is the small internet complaint you mention the tire clearance? If so, I don't know why only folks on the internet would care. Perhaps it seems that way because its the only easily accessible place for frustrstion/complaints to be seen by others?
I can't say one way or the other. I have 0 interest in a bike that can fit 45mm tires then can only fit 38mm tires, then can fit 40mm tires as long as its the brand's house brand. <--- that recap may or may not be totally accurate. If it isn't accurate, let's call it a bad joke too, mkay?
... all I know is the thing is annoying as I love the smoke blue color! it'd be nice to get the threaded bottom bracket as I know any new model will NOT have the smoke blue color .... my old 2012 NORCO XFR 4 has a press fit bottom bracket in it and it doesn't make a peep ... cannot say the same for my shaft from my clipless pedals however ...

Sadly from what i am hearing review wise the newest checkpoint even without the threaded BB is still not there for the rough and tumble of a harsher off road bike packing experience ... that and the cable management is still seriously bad -_-

I want to do gravel adventure riding but it'd really be nice if they posted a max tire size ... I have this image of attempting to ride the great divide and so far it has meant my choice for likely bikes to utilize are not ones of the TREK ... which is a shame ... can we put a beefier front shock on these at all? ... i am new to the whole bike and wheel building so be warned I might ask questions that are well ... stupid .... to a veteran .... still my rides i want to try to ease into the bike packing of 500 some miles to try things out have me looking for a bike and so far I seem to be chasing a unicorn thinking I can grab a Domane (its tires with no flaps only go to 38) ... Checkpoint supposedly goes up to 45 or i thought it did but suspension on the front fork ? .... no clue if that would work as I assume if the frame has suspension in mind on design i will not have issues in that department ... vs trying to add something to a bike designed to be rigid ....

I just juggling so much around in my head its hard to keep it all sorted out ... but honestly I am itching with all this isolation going on atm to get out there but first i need a darn bike vs buying a stop gap now ... and then finding it is not even a OK fit for other things... I done bike hill climbs just for fun ... but hey it would be nice not to need to go off getting a bike for one type of thing or the other ... its beyond frustrating ... Domane seemed close except I don't think 38mm is bike enough for something like the rough divide route with those tires ...

from what i read checkpoint is still not really suited for the really tough stuff so I probably going to be more pushed towards a salsa ... surly ... or some other brand... I'd really like to just be able to pick a brand but i seem to find more than one each of which have something I like over the other so then it becomes a oh ... how much do i really want out of this... or this ... such a headache trying to decide but with how much these bikes now cost I cannot go throwing out $3000 here or $2000 there ... I made a rather pricey jump from my diamondback i bought way back in the 90's for $230 with paper route money... the $650 bike i bought a decade later ... and now eight after that here I am looking at this .... all this stuff seems to increase in terms of cost 200% every ten years ...and forgive me but it is not like the shape of the bike has changed but the materials utilized sure have not to mention weight...

still... i cannot help feel a little jipped when aesthetics such as hiding cables are skipped over when we paying this much money for a bike.... then we find it cannot totally and truly do all we want of it and we either compromise or buy a whole second bike to satisfy that other itch ... the struggle is REAL i tell ya!

Last edited by EndUser2016; 04-27-20 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 11:27 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I think the Checkpoint leans more toward the road. Anyone put 650 wheels on? Wonder how wide a tire of this size would fit. That may make it handle rougher roads and trails. Is so I’m thinking three sets of wheels and racks.
Old 04-27-20, 11:54 AM
EndUser2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I think the Checkpoint leans more toward the road. Anyone put 650 wheels on? Wonder how wide a tire of this size would fit. That may make it handle rougher roads and trails. Is so I’m thinking three sets of wheels and racks.
It seems so ... I watched a guy who did the BAHA on the 1120 ... he snapped the rack on the thing ... its not overly comforting to see the rugged one pushed by Trek breaking its rack when the thing was new out of the box ... it was sort of why i ruled it out ... but honestly besides for the want of a front suspension and a good read gear set I was really hoping the checkpoint would be able to do my fun road stuff on one set of wheel and gravel path bikepacking on another set with the dynamo and all ... just does not seem to be a match in regard to trek ... i did see someone use the new domane SL5 on a some 3500 km gravel event in Australia ... at least they built it up but i can only assume they finished ... the more i look and read it seems i am going to have to at the moment at least remove the checkpoint from consideration unless i go with the buying two bikes for varied uses... which then I would just get a domane ... plus something else ... but yeah that just not itching to go off and spend nearly $7000 between two pedal bikes ... with this whole covid thing even more so as I do work in the travel industry and mrs business also totally shutdown atm so we taking it in the shorts so we need to watch our coin until we can be certain my job is not going to go out the window as family has to come before play - mrs business should be fine but it'll be some time before she gets back totally on her footing as well thanks to how long things have been closed...

Last edited by EndUser2016; 04-27-20 at 06:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.