Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Praxis Zayante vs GRX chainline

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 04:19 PM
Bikegeek1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a stock 2020 Giant Revolt 0. It came with Ultegra drivetrain and shifting, but has a Praxis Zayante crankset. For "reasons", I want to replace it with a GRX set, but I cannot find any info on the chainines of each set. I know the GRX is 2.5mm outboard of the Ultegra, and Shimano says you need a GRX front derail too. I assume the Praxis has a similar line as the Ultegra, but I just can't confirm it.

Does anyone have some real world experience with this?
Old 10-16-20, 05:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Ultegra and Praxis should have same chainline and GRX will be 2.5mm wider. In some cases you can make existing Ultegra front derailleur work, but go GRX front der to be sure. Same shifters will work.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 10-16-20, 07:00 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
146mm for the Ultegra, 147mm for the Praxis, and 151mm for the GRX 810 are the Q-factors I came up with.

If by chance you end up with a 172.5mm 48/32 Zayante crank for sale, I'd be interesting in buying it!
Old 10-16-20, 09:33 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
My 2021 Revolt has a Praxis crank and GRX derailleurs, not sure if there's a spacer involved or not, but it works.
Old 10-17-20, 06:36 PM
Bikegeek1968

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
My 2021 Revolt has a Praxis crank and GRX derailleurs, not sure if there's a spacer involved or not, but it works.
Thanks for the info, people.
I am not sure what I am going to do once I get the warranty parts, but since I am lazy I will probably just put the Praxis back on. They are 175 anyway. If I break another spider then I'll go GRX, and probably just get a new derail at the same time.
As for the 2021 Giant Propel with GRX shifting, I saw that in the spec sheet a few weeks ago. I wonder why they are using the Praxis crankset. Maybe Giant bought a whole pile in 2020 and still need to use them all? Since the Praxis rings are farther inboard than the GRX rings, I assume the GRX front derail has a bit more adjustability than the Ultegra, at least as far as moving inward is concerned.
Old 10-18-20, 08:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikegeek1968
Thanks for the info, people.
I am not sure what I am going to do once I get the warranty parts, but since I am lazy I will probably just put the Praxis back on. They are 175 anyway. If I break another spider then I'll go GRX, and probably just get a new derail at the same time.
As for the 2021 Giant Propel with GRX shifting, I saw that in the spec sheet a few weeks ago. I wonder why they are using the Praxis crankset. Maybe Giant bought a whole pile in 2020 and still need to use them all? Since the Praxis rings are farther inboard than the GRX rings, I assume the GRX front derail has a bit more adjustability than the Ultegra, at least as far as moving inward is concerned.
You snapped a Zayante spider?
Old 10-19-20, 09:22 AM
Bikegeek1968

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You snapped a Zayante spider?
Yes. A few months ago I started chasing a load cracking noise whenever I pedaled hard, it did not happen all the time. Soon after, I folded my small chainring when under high power, low RPM and on a steep hill. I weigh 190 and put out a lot of power. Praxis sent me a new ring right away. Cut to a few days ago, I am still chasing the noise. Cleaned out the BB, Headset, seatpost, bars, stem. Nothing. So I am just staring at the bike and I see it. A hairline crack almost all the way through one of the spider arms. This is also when I bent the chainring months back. I always thought it was odd that it bent at a bolt, but now it makes sense. Upon cleaning and removal, one of the other arms also has a crack. Praxis sent a complete ring/spider kit, hopefully this one works out. I only have about 40 rides on the bike, and the noise/crack probably happened after only 15 rides. We'll see
Old 11-12-20, 05:24 PM
jmm77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I had the 2019 model and the praxis crank developed a clicking sound under load. Eventually replaced under warrenty. After 500km on the new one the sound came back but a bit quieter. I'll be avoiding praxis in the future.
Old 11-12-20, 09:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6961 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikegeek1968
Yes. A few months ago I started chasing a load cracking noise whenever I pedaled hard, it did not happen all the time. Soon after, I folded my small chainring when under high power, low RPM and on a steep hill. I weigh 190 and put out a lot of power. Praxis sent me a new ring right away. Cut to a few days ago, I am still chasing the noise. Cleaned out the BB, Headset, seatpost, bars, stem. Nothing. So I am just staring at the bike and I see it. A hairline crack almost all the way through one of the spider arms. This is also when I bent the chainring months back. I always thought it was odd that it bent at a bolt, but now it makes sense. Upon cleaning and removal, one of the other arms also has a crack. Praxis sent a complete ring/spider kit, hopefully this one works out. I only have about 40 rides on the bike, and the noise/crack probably happened after only 15 rides. We'll see
If I had a part fail like that once, I wouldn't ride the replacement. You're now on your third?

Buy the GRX, get the matching FD to ensure that everything works properly, and throw the Praxis crankset in the trash.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-13-20, 08:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Its always interesting to see what fails for some ends up working great for others. Praxis is known for their fantastic quality rings, and they got into the OEM side heavily over the prior few years with Giant and Specialized since Shimano didnt care to create a subcompact crank option for the longest time.
I have a Zayante on my gravel bike and one of my road bikes- they are stiff, shift quickly, and are very easy to set up. Compared to a wider Q factor crank, for gravel road riding I would take a 48/32 with road chainline that fits on gravel bikes having 47 or even 50mm of tire clearance every day of the week. But thats how and where I ride. A gravel bike is a road bike that is more competent and capable on gravel roads.
I get that some view gravel as singletrack and want a bike designed around singletrack, so a 1x crank with wider Q factor works well. And some demand their gravel bike fit 700x47 while also having 415mm chainstays for some reason, so many crank designs are needed to serve the variety of wants.

Anyways, its surprising to see multiple cranks fail like this when their overall volume isnt close to that of Shimano or FSA.
Old 11-13-20, 02:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6961 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its always interesting to see what fails for some ends up working great for others. Praxis is known for their fantastic quality rings, and they got into the OEM side heavily over the prior few years with Giant and Specialized since Shimano didnt care to create a subcompact crank option for the longest time.
I have a Zayante on my gravel bike and one of my road bikes- they are stiff, shift quickly, and are very easy to set up. Compared to a wider Q factor crank, for gravel road riding I would take a 48/32 with road chainline that fits on gravel bikes having 47 or even 50mm of tire clearance every day of the week. But thats how and where I ride. A gravel bike is a road bike that is more competent and capable on gravel roads.
I get that some view gravel as singletrack and want a bike designed around singletrack, so a 1x crank with wider Q factor works well. And some demand their gravel bike fit 700x47 while also having 415mm chainstays for some reason, so many crank designs are needed to serve the variety of wants.

Anyways, its surprising to see multiple cranks fail like this when their overall volume isnt close to that of Shimano or FSA.
Yeah, to clarify: I'm not saying Praxis is junk, because I know you have had good experiences with them. Hell, I almost got one on a new custom gravel bike last year, but then the GRX came out and I got that instead. But if any piece of equipment fails on me, I'm pretty leery of putting the same thing back on my bike. That's just me.