Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Are 1.75 x 26" Araya rims really valuable?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 03:13 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

Lately I have been fixing up / restoring / customizing a number of vintage rigid fork mountain bikes for the Bike Exchange to sell to raise money for our non profit. Yesterday I was searching for info on Which vintage mountain bikes are collectable / valuable. and I came upon this tidbit. in a mtn. bike forum. They said that Araya 26" x 1.75 " rims are very valuable, saying they are worth $200 per pair. Of course I took a look at my rim collection and found a pair. They have Joytech large flange hubs and galvanized spokes.

Do I have something valuable here? Why?

Thanks for any input. I ride an okd Trek 820 Antelope regularly around town and a number of other road bikes but I am really having fun these days with the old mountain bikes. Here are a couple builds I recently completed

Old 10-26-20, 03:46 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
The rims alone I'd say not. A set of Araya RX-7 silver 32 hole rims laced to Shimano M550 LX hubs then maybe

https://neloscycles.com/Rims-Vintage-Araya/
Old 10-26-20, 10:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The price of vintage 26 mtb wheels/rims in general has gone crazy lately. But before you plan your retirement, condition and the right buyer is everything. The main issue with used mtb rims is brake wear, in an otherwise good rim. If you have an NOS pair, you “might” find someone desperate enough to pay a premium for a specific build.

John
Old 11-06-20, 09:07 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Why would old 26"ers be going up? Glory days and nostalgia in bad times? I hope they don't go up in price. I ride and use those things. I have a set of RX-7 in 36h mated to some exage RM50 hubs. I see no big deal or anything special in those rims. One of the races in the rear hub is destined for eventual failure as noticed during repacking today. Just ride them into the dust I suppose.
Old 11-08-20, 09:04 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
We get a lot of bikes and rims passing through the Bike Exchange. I am often restoring or customizing old mtn. bikes to sell. Currently we have a a 1983 Stump jumper frame and fork that we are going to get powder coated then build up with as many correct parts as possible. When finished we hope to sell it for $800 or more to a collector of filthy rich techie, of which there are many here in sillycone valley. We recently sold a mint '85 stumpy for $700. locally to a Speciallized employee. So, if there are wheels worth money that can add value to a build I am looking for them. Today I found a front with a Shimano dura ace hub and a sew up rim that is going in my stash for future sale. I also dug up a long cage Suntour Cyclone and a couple Huret titanium Duopar derailleurs. It's like a treasure hunt.