Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Toe Clips, Need Some Schooling

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Toe Clips, Need Some Schooling

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 08:31 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Lots of people still use toe clips today, but not too many ride them with actual slotted cleats in the interest of convenience and easier walking off the bike. Yeeup!, BITD you had to waddle around on your slippery cleated bike shoes...... if you want to get respect from the racing dudes..... clio clop clip clip clip clop......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 01-13-20, 10:42 PM
PeeCee

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I have toeclips on several of my bikes. If you're concerned about being able to get your feet out quickly, leave the straps loose until your confidence builds. Tightening the straps makes them more efficient, and it soon becomes second nature to reach down and loosen one strap when you feel a need to put a foot down. Unless you're using slotted cleats, it's not difficult to pull your foot out even with the straps tight, but the tight strap makes it harder to get your foot back in until you loosen the strap. Slotted cleats make toeclips and straps just as efficient as modern "clipless" pedals, but until you develop the "second nature" of loosening a strap before putting a foot down, it's best to leave one strap loose.
Bang on.
I use Campagnolo pedals with Christophe toe clips and straps not only because they work but they look great on my 71 Raleigh Comp.
After buying some slotted cleats that weren't very good I made my own from a kitchen cutting board. They are fitted to a pair of Giro Empires (laces).
It all adds to the experience :-))
Old 01-14-20, 12:12 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts

Last edited by joesch; 01-14-20 at 12:15 AM. Reason: order
Old 01-14-20, 01:31 AM
yukiinu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
No straps

When I use toe clips I don't use straps. The clips keep my feet on the peddles without trapping them with straps.
Old 01-14-20, 07:06 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I have toe clips and leather straps on my 6 road bikes and have them ready for my winter project Fuji TS III. I like them a lot. I set the straps 'just so' - I can easily slide my shoe in and out but they hold my foot firmly and I can use the full crank cycle. Down, across the bottom and up the back side, and I regularly do use the whole circle. I use indoor soccer shoes (Adidas Sambas these days) as the soles ar flat though "grippy" enough to hold well on the quill pedal. I have found that the sole of indoor soccer shoes do not extend out past the shoe's toe box like tennis or running sneakers/shoes. So soccer shoes fit the pedals real well.

Leather straps only, webbing mtn bike straps will not hold the opening, too flexible.

When I stop I put my left foot down. I've been amused during those times I've ridden with a group, all the others being clipless. When the light turns green I pick up the left pedal and get on down the road, listening to the others still clipping in. Hmmmm.
Old 01-14-20, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
When I stop I put my left foot down. I've been amused during those times I've ridden with a group, all the others being clipless. When the light turns green I pick up the left pedal and get on down the road, listening to the others still clipping in. Hmmmm.
I don't understand, if your left foot is down (on the ground) then your right foot would still in be in the right clip & in the up position, so at the green light, don't you just start pedaling with your right foot?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-14-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 11:46 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I don't understand, if your left foot is down (on the ground) then your right foot would still in be the right clip & in the up position, so at the green light, don't you just start pedaling with your right foot?
Well, yes. I think what Todd is sayin' is he just pedals the right foot, goes around a stroke or two with both to gain some momentum, pauses momentarily to pick up the left clip, then keeps pedaling. That's how I do it.

But he's also sayin' how amusing it is to have to wait for "clipless" riders to "click" in. I've even had to hit the brakes when I start up but the guy in front of me just can't get going without hunting around for the missing click.
Old 01-14-20, 01:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Well, yes. I think what Todd is sayin' is he just pedals the right foot, goes around a stroke or two with both to gain some momentum, pauses momentarily to pick up the left clip, then keeps pedaling. That's how I do it.But he's also sayin' how amusing it is to have to wait for "clipless" riders to "click" in. I've even had to hit the brakes when I start up but the guy in front of me just can't get going without hunting around for the missing click.
yeah after I wrote my question, I got started thinking about what I do, w/ 1/2 clips & cleats approaching a stop. I take my left foot out, but actually drop my right foot (still attached) & glide to a stop with my right foot attached & resting on the pedal. left foot on the ground, then while I'm stopped, I circle the right foot up so I can launch w/ the right foot. then while rolling, slide my left foot back into place. with the cleated pedals, I just pedal w/o hesitating, cuz I know I will click in eventually w/ my left foot
Old 01-14-20, 01:56 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by joesch
advertisement
very cool, from the hair style it looks like a 1970s article?
Old 01-14-20, 06:39 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
very cool, from the hair style it looks like a 1970s article?
From the mag bicycling jan 1980
Likes For joesch:
Old 01-14-20, 08:17 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I've been looking for slotted cleats that will have either Look Delta or Keo mounting bolt pattern , so I can also use my modern cycling shoes on my clipped pedaled bikes. Haven't found them yet. Do they even make such?
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 01-15-20, 12:03 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
It's interesting that the photos in that article show the strap ends tucked through the buckle. At that time pretty much no one was using them that way. Perhaps it was the photographer's decision.

Also, reaching down and flipping the pedal up with your hand is pretty impractical. Again, no one really does this. It's easy to do with your toe if the pedal has a flip tab.
Old 01-15-20, 12:06 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I've been looking for slotted cleats that will have either Look Delta or Keo mounting bolt pattern , so I can also use my modern cycling shoes on my clipped pedaled bikes. Haven't found them yet. Do they even make such?
Yes they do. I haven't tried them.

Bicycle Shoe Cleats for Toeclip Pedals $29.95 at Yellow Jersey

I've seen another similar cleat somewhere else, but I can't recall where offhand.
Old 01-17-20, 03:36 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Try this at Rene Herse Cycles (formerly Compass Cycles) https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...s-mc-2-cleats/