Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Investments with Dividends

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 06:51 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts

About four years back, one of my work colleagues was discussing a health scare he recently had, and his decision to start training for a triathlon in a mountain community. He was a less than solid 270 lbs. at the time.

Upon learning that he planned to scale a 7 mile, 2000 vertical foot climb on his 45 lb. mountain bike with tri extensions, I gave him my old Atala to use-the only bike I had big enough to fit his 6'3" frame. Over the next few years, primarily through training and equipment tips, I watched his budding hobby expand into somewhat of a passion. After every event he completed, or "epic" training ride (e.g. 16 miles at an average speed of 12.7) I'd get a text or a voice mail. Last year, I helped him pick out a new to him, tri specific bike, and the Atala came back home with a tearful thank you (and a stubby little tri seat that I may leave on because it makes me smile).

Shortly thereafter, he announced that he was ready to ride with me. After bagels and coffee, I took him on a 28 mile, mostly flat loop. When he got back home, he sent me the data-28 miles at an average of speed of 14.6 mph, both ecstatically presented as personal records at the time. By this summer, he was able to come along on some longer, much hillier routes, and he is closing in on losing his ability to compete as a Clydesdale.

Yesterday, as he is gearing up for an Olympic distance tri in 3 weeks, we repeated the 28 mile loop, this time at 17.8 mph, with close to 10 miles coming into the teeth of a solid wind. No drafting, because that would be cheating.

At the end, I realized that it was not only an investment in my friend, for me as well it bordered on a workout. By next summer, I'm guessing he will be added to the small list of folks, who are not only great company, but also great to have around on a go hard day. All in all, a great reward for not much time or effort.
Old 08-06-18, 07:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Excellent!
Old 08-06-18, 08:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
...............Yesterday, as he is gearing up for an Olympic distance tri in 3 weeks, we repeated the 28 mile loop, this time at 17.8 mph, with close to 10 miles coming into the teeth of a solid wind. No drafting, because that would be cheating..........................
Maybe get him used to drafting...... Triathlon 101: Rules | NBC Olympics

Cycling
In the bike leg of the Olympic triathlon, competitors are allowed to draft off of one another.Drafting occurs when a competitor rides directly behind another competitor--the rider in back feels less wind resistance and can thus maintain the same speed as the rider in front without using as much energy. Although drafting is allowed, competitors are not allowed to block out other riders. No forward progress is allowed without the bicycle. Competitors who appear to present a danger to themselves or others may be disqualified and removed from the competition by the race officials. Competitors may not ride the bike in the transition area. If a rider does not honor the mount line (where they must begin riding the bike) and the dismount line (where they must get off the bike), he or she is subject to a time penalty or disqualification.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlo...l-For-Athletes
Old 08-06-18, 08:41 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good for him.....and you !
Old 08-06-18, 09:05 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Making improvements is a real reason to be ecstatic! That’s great that your friend is able to take stock in incremental improvements as they occur, enjoy the moment then continue to get better.
Old 08-06-18, 09:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Nice job.
Old 08-06-18, 10:14 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 541 Posts
That's a great story.

All of us have the ability to change. You'll know it when it happens. It's not about sitting around talking about it, you will definitely know when it clicks in your head and then it's all good times from there on.
Old 08-07-18, 05:32 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Investments in people’s lives are true dividends. It’s great that you made the effort and took the time. Congratulations to both of you!