Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Morale Story

Old 08-09-18, 01:20 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Morale Story

The majority of us read and post in this part of the forum because we meet the guidelines of a Clyde or Athena, 200 plus pounds. I'm also assuming that most of us have been overweight and completely out of shape at one time or another in our life? Onto my story.

Last night I was out on my ride and approaching my half way point when I met another fella going the opposite way who was definitely struggling. He had just topped a small hill and had that look on his face that I know was on mine on occasion, of suffering and torture... Lol I went on up to my half way point and turned around. Now normally I really turn it on and push my second half, but when I caught up to this guy instead of keeping the motor on hammer down, I slowed and pulled up beside him and started a conversation with him. We talked about the nice evening and how it has been a pretty decent summer, how I am an import to the city and how much I love that the city is really focusing on the cycling community. We talked about his family and my family and such. We made it a few more miles down the road and I offered to buy him a quick beer at one of the local watering holes that caters to cyclists and he accepted.
We went in and bellied up to the bar, drank our beer and I told him It was time for me to head back out. We shook hands. I headed out the door. I was getting my gloves and helmet back on and he walked out to my bike and explained to me that right before I had pulled up beside him, he had all but decided this was his last ride, but after our ride and sharing of stories he is now committed to sticking it out. I told him any time he wants a riding partner to give me a shout and we would figure something out.
The story may be meaningless for some, but i guess what i'm trying to say is this. If while your out on your rides and you come across a guy/gal like this, a simple hello, how ya doing could be all the encouragement they need to keep going.
Old 08-09-18, 02:20 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kudos Rock!
Old 08-09-18, 10:23 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
What you did will get you a lot of kudos. But if you had waved you would never hear the end of it.

nice job!

Last edited by Bmach; 08-10-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-10-18, 05:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Excellent.

Hope you told him about Bike Forums, too!

Old 08-10-18, 05:53 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice work !
Old 08-10-18, 07:03 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
What did will get you a lot of kudos. But if you had waved you would never hear the end of it.

nice job!
I had that same thought
Old 08-10-18, 03:19 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
That’s such a nice story. I was over weight and out of shape my entire adult life until a few years ago, even now that I’m a lot more athletic and fit I’m far from skinny. I try to encourage people and tell them it gets easier if you stick with it. But I’m also pretty shy and would probably never be able to do what you do. I’m inspired by your act of kindness and friendship.
Old 08-10-18, 04:01 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very nice! Isn’t that what we’re supposed to do, yet too often I fail at it. I’m humbled by your act of kindness and impressed with your empathy at the same time. Too many bad stories, so it’s so refreshing to read this!
Old 08-11-18, 08:06 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
You’re a good man, mate. Nice job.
Old 08-11-18, 12:14 PM
goaliedad30

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
awesome!!
Old 08-11-18, 12:26 PM
Pmangelos

Bikes: BH Quartz, Bianchi S9 Matta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar experience out on the road a few months ago that really bolstered my confidence on my bike. I’m a new rider and I was out riding with a group that is slightly faster than me, I have to really push myself to keep up. Well I’m riding with the group and I start to fall behind to the point that I was just going to give up on the ride, at that point a guy I’d never met came along side of me and said “I’ve got your back” and he literally put his hand on my back and pedaled both of us back up to the group. It was a great feeling and I’ve ridden with him since. I hope to encourage someone similarity one day.
Old 08-13-18, 12:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Old 08-22-18, 09:42 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome..,👏🏻👍🏻
Old 08-23-18, 05:08 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pmangelos
I had a similar experience out on the road a few months ago that really bolstered my confidence on my bike. I’m a new rider and I was out riding with a group that is slightly faster than me, I have to really push myself to keep up. Well I’m riding with the group and I start to fall behind to the point that I was just going to give up on the ride, at that point a guy I’d never met came along side of me and said “I’ve got your back” and he literally put his hand on my back and pedaled both of us back up to the group. It was a great feeling and I’ve ridden with him since. I hope to encourage someone similarity one day.
Keep up the work and the effort. I think the biggest battle some days is staying positive. There's no better feeling when than when you set a goal and you meet that goal.
Old 08-23-18, 05:50 AM
JasonU71

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This are great stories and it's refreshing to hear that folks are taking time out of their lives to encourage and support others. Keep up the great work!
Old 08-23-18, 07:07 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update: Dave has called me 3 times to go riding. I have went all three times and once I had already gotten in my 30 before he called. I can see him gaining more confidence every time out. More joking, a smile on his face and pure determination. He has been riding regularly with another newbie Clyde he met while he was in the LBS. He has already bought a trainer in preparation for winter weather and has set a big goal to achieve before the snow flies.
When he first heard the term "Clyde" i could tell he wasn't sure how to take it but uses it on a regular basis now and I think he's actually proud of it. It gives him a place to fit in a cycling world that is full of 160 pound slim athletes. I'm sure you will see him here soon!!
Old 08-23-18, 07:59 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
You rock, Rock!
Old 09-19-18, 01:13 PM
BigDave44

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve a.k.a. Rock71, finally talked me into joining this forum. I will admit I was very apprehensive about an over weight guy joining a skinny guy cycling forum but Steve assured me that this wasn't the case with this particular section. So, here I am.

First of all I would like to thank Steve for all the advice and support he has given and shown the last 45 days. I have dropped a hair over 18 pounds and just completed my first ever 20 mile ride last night.

I will admit it was the hardest thing I have done in recent memory, but the feeling of accomplishment that flooded my body when I wheeled into my drive and my cateye read 20.25 miles almost brought me to tears.

I have started many exercise programs over the last few years only to quit and fail so this is huge. My family has also seen me quit and fail over the yesrs. Even harder to take. They have now seen the dedication I have for this and are showing so much support it has actually changed the mood at the home front. We actually have a trip planned to the bike shop this weekend to look at purchasing a bike for my wife.

Now I'm here. I have read so many inspirational stories of people who have lost more weight than myself and it has just motivated me even more.

Currently I am at 268 pounds and my goal for next year at this time is 220 pounds, which I think is very attainable with a healthy diet and bike riding.

I would say " Wish me luck " but I got this, no luck needed!
Old 09-19-18, 02:18 PM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, BigDave44, glad to have you!
Old 09-19-18, 02:35 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 943 Posts
Welcome to you both - keep at it
Old 09-19-18, 07:34 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDave44
Steve a.k.a. Rock71, finally talked me into joining this forum. I will admit I was very apprehensive about an over weight guy joining a skinny guy cycling forum but Steve assured me that this wasn't the case with this particular section. So, here I am.

First of all I would like to thank Steve for all the advice and support he has given and shown the last 45 days. I have dropped a hair over 18 pounds and just completed my first ever 20 mile ride last night.

I will admit it was the hardest thing I have done in recent memory, but the feeling of accomplishment that flooded my body when I wheeled into my drive and my cateye read 20.25 miles almost brought me to tears.

I have started many exercise programs over the last few years only to quit and fail so this is huge. My family has also seen me quit and fail over the yesrs. Even harder to take. They have now seen the dedication I have for this and are showing so much support it has actually changed the mood at the home front. We actually have a trip planned to the bike shop this weekend to look at purchasing a bike for my wife.

Now I'm here. I have read so many inspirational stories of people who have lost more weight than myself and it has just motivated me even more.

Currently I am at 268 pounds and my goal for next year at this time is 220 pounds, which I think is very attainable with a healthy diet and bike riding.

Welcome, Dave!
Old 09-19-18, 07:45 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Welcome Dave and kudos to Rock, what a great story. Keep pedaling!
Old 09-20-18, 05:19 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You got this bro! I think your wife is getting a bike to ride with me...
Old 09-20-18, 02:59 PM
BigDave44

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
You got this bro! I think your wife is getting a bike to ride with me...
I may not be able to catch you on a bike, but I can run over you with a truck!
Old 09-20-18, 04:35 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I may not be able to catch you on a bike, but I can run over you with a truck!
ow ow ow. As a ‘been run over by a truck’ (literally) it’s kinda not amusing to a cyclist.

30+ bone breaks, etc. just saying, mate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.