Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Universal 77 Brake Lever Hood replacement ideas

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-11-20, 02:52 PM
graystones11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm trying to restore my 1981 Bianchi Nuovo Racing bike to as much of the original look as possible, and I would like to replace the cracked Universal Mod 77 brake hoods. Looking online it looks like these have been out of production for some time now. Is anyone aware of good replacements for them?

I would love to find the same color replacement for them. The forum will not let me post the link or image, but it's a gum rubber looking orange color, I believe.
EDIT: here's the photo

I've read some other forum posts where people are looking for similar hoods, but did not see a consensus on what works. I'm U.S. based, if that helps for sourcing.

Last edited by graystones11; 01-11-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 03:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
I've used A'me Modolo-copy hoods on mod. 77 levers. Since the Modolo hoods interchange with Campagnolo, I suspect any generic Campagnolo repop hood would work.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-11-20, 03:38 PM
graystones11

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I've used A'me Modolo-copy hoods on mod. 77 levers. Since the Modolo hoods interchange with Campagnolo, I suspect any generic Campagnolo repop hood would work.

Do you have a link to the exact product you think would work?
Old 01-11-20, 06:56 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Search for "Modolo brake hoods" on eBay. Any 919 or 920 set would fit Campy levers, so presumably those Universal 77s as well. (I've no personal experience with them, however.)
Old 01-11-20, 07:32 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ake-hood-cover

They are available from other vendors as well. VO also sells the Modolo style hoods.

The Campy shape hood was widely used in the 70s and 80s, and was a de facto roadie standard. Also used by Superbe, Gran-Compe, Modolo, later Universals, and many others.
Old 01-11-20, 09:15 PM
graystones11

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ake-hood-cover

They are available from other vendors as well. VO also sells the Modolo style hoods.

The Campy shape hood was widely used in the 70s and 80s, and was a de facto roadie standard. Also used by Superbe, Gran-Compe, Modolo, later Universals, and many others.
Thank you. It looks like they are out of stock in the gum color, but I will keep looking for something similar. Is the modolo style also a match?

EDIT: I think I found them in stock on modernbike
https://www.modernbike.com/velo-orange-rustines-campy-style-brake-lever-hoods

Last edited by graystones11; 01-11-20 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 09:24 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Definitely look at rustines.
I picked mine up from fleabay for 22 shipped
Old 01-11-20, 09:25 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
A couple years ago I found these Model 61 hoods from Italy on Ebay for $40 a pair. They were perfect reproductions, so perfect that they rotted away in 3 years, just like the originals. They got me thru 2016 Eroica, then died. I found some again last year, also on Ebay. They are out there if you keep looking. They also come in black, and white, too I think. The black rubber boots on the adjusters lasted even less than the gummed hoods, then rotted and disappeared. The second set of hoods did not include the boots.

Edit: I just checked Ebay, and there are black, white and gummed Universal hoods on there from $40 to $100. How bad do you want them?

First set of replacements, cracked after less than 3 years, used on 2016 Eroica.

Newest replacements, just before last year's Eroica. Bar tape was temporary to check placement of levers. After a year, these are still hanging in there.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 01-11-20 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 10:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
These hoods are from Rustines and some were available thru VeloOrange, but I don’t see them on the VO site now. Might be worth a call tho’.

Old 01-12-20, 02:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
A couple years ago I found these Model 61 hoods from Italy on Ebay for $40 a pair. They were perfect reproductions, so perfect that they rotted away in 3 years, just like the originals. They got me thru 2016 Eroica, then died. I found some again last year, also on Ebay. They are out there if you keep looking. They also come in black, and white, too I think. The black rubber boots on the adjusters lasted even less than the gummed hoods, then rotted and disappeared. The second set of hoods did not include the boots.

Edit: I just checked Ebay, and there are black, white and gummed Universal hoods on there from $40 to $100. How bad do you want them?

First set of replacements, cracked after less than 3 years, used on 2016 Eroica.

Newest replacements, just before last year's Eroica. Bar tape was temporary to check placement of levers. After a year, these are still hanging in there.
-----

Thank you.

Your Leggy wears the model 306 lever.

The OP's model 77 brakeset came with levers which are more of an ergonomic shape, similar to Campag and Modolo. So they take a different model bootie.

---

For longevity I have found a product called 303 Protectant to be very helpful. AFAIK it is the only dressing for rubber/vinyl to be made without amines.

Living in a major urban area shortens hood life due to ozone levels. If one lived in Montana or Wyoming hood life would likely be longer.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-13-20 at 08:04 AM. Reason: addition